The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Government and Politics May/June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Not sure really, I'm not particularly fussed, and just for a head's up, humanitarian intervention and nuclear weapons came up last time, so chances of those coming up in the 45 marker are slim unfortunately. I'm not particularly fussed about what comes up, as long as it's answerable, they've put in quite a few dodgy ones, just look at the June 2011 paper...that was AWFUL!

The January 2012 paper is probably the best paper I've ever seen, this could be a tough paper :frown:

I know! That paper looked really good, so they will probably retaliate with some really horrible questions :frown: I 'm hoping nothing on the environment, but I suppose at this stage the only thing we can do is to eat our text books :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
JANUARY 2012
1. What has been the effect of appointments to the Supreme Court since 2005?
2. To what extents are parties the most significant influence on voting in Congress?
3. What are the most significant factors that influence a President when choosing the Cabinet?
4. To what extent has federalism been eroded as a constitutional principle?
5. What is the ‘separation of powers’? Does it help or hinder the US system of government?

6. ‘A political, not a judicial institution.’ Discuss this view of the Supreme Court.
7. To what extent does Congress have a meaningful foreign policy role?
8. ‘Presidential careers can never live up to expectations.’ Discuss.
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
The new asbo thing.

Not related to youth but relevant to pretty much any crime question in general is the cuts in police funding.

Thanks, I knew about the new asbo thing but there's not much to say about it, I guess I'm going to have to do a lot of bull****ting :biggrin:
Reply 483
I'm doomed for this exam ... How many points do u need to hve ( and like analysing them ) ?

Reply 484
for unit 4d... my teacher is pretty sure one of the following questions will come up as 45 mark q's:
- To what extent does counter terrorism justify the infringement of human rights?
- is war obsolete?
- does huntingtons 'clash of civilisations' thesis describe global politics?
- Is Obamas vision of a 'nuclear free world' possible/desirable?
- Are radical approaches the answer to combating environmental issues?
- Is international aid effective?

these are just guesses though.. :smile:
Reply 485
Looks like federalism may pop up seeing as it Hasn't been mentioned for a while.
I'm thinking of sticking to congress, presidency and the s.c, still I'm so nervous

Reply 486
Not sure if Supreme Court will be a 45... has literally not been 2 15's for absolutely ages (like 4/5 papers) :smile:
Original post by CintiaMarina
One good book to read is Andrew Heywoods Political Ideologies..
Other than that, youd hace to look at previous exams, work oit question pattern and just plqn as many essays as you can from them.

Quick question: how many papers are there for A2 politics? And what are their structures, as in marks etc...
Im self taught, so Im not familiar with these exams at all :L

Any replies would be much appreciated.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i

There are 2 exam papers for A2 politics, both carry the same structure:

In the first section you have to answer 3 (15 mark) questions, in 45 mins.
You are given a choice of 5 questions in the first section to choose 3 from, there will be at least one question on every topic in the syllabus.
One topic will have two questions on it and that topic will not appear in the essay section.

In the second section you have to answer one essay (worth 45 marks in 45mins) out of a choice of 3 essays.
Reply 488
Hi, Im hoping somebody can help me.

I don't have any notes for G&P route A at all and I'm really hoping somebody could send me some for either 3A or 4A.

Before anybody says I should ask my teacher or something - I don't have 1. I have been Ill since Christmas of my 1st year so I've been learning at home since then. I had my last operation in April and so I've only recently been able to start revising.

I haven't done any work and I'm totally lost :frown:

Anyway, good luck everybody :smile: and please inbox me if you can help, anything would be good!
(Sorry for the long post - got carried away)
Original post by cd01
for unit 4d... my teacher is pretty sure one of the following questions will come up as 45 mark q's:
- To what extent does counter terrorism justify the infringement of human rights?
- is war obsolete?
- does huntingtons 'clash of civilisations' thesis describe global politics?
- Is Obamas vision of a 'nuclear free world' possible/desirable?
- Are radical approaches the answer to combating environmental issues?
- Is international aid effective?

these are just guesses though.. :smile:

If either of those two comes up, I'll cry with so much joy :biggrin:

But on a serious level, why is he so sure they will come up?
Original post by Duncan123

Romania and Bulgaria are still in Schengen, they just don't have access of it until 2014, which is binding in the Schengen agreement of 1985. A country has to wait 3 years, then another year can be imposed, and then another 3 if it is not in the other EU countries interest to give them freedom of movement. Technically that hasn't been broken. As for the CAP, that's a phasing in period that will end in 2013 because it was feared that E. Europe would see to high a jump in food commodity prices, Blair's retention of the CAP rebate and France's unacceptance to become a net contributor if Poland joins the CAP outright. Quite possibly this will be completely reformed in 2014, but noone knows yet (so thankfully it doesn't apply to our exam).

Thank you for this. Been desperately trying to find information on the 'transition' nature of the 10+2 states as it appears my teacher just decided to completely miss out this entire aspect of enlargement, and the text book and online resources we have also fail to discuss it.

With regards to deepening vs. widening, one should note that while treaties typically precede enlargements, the most recent treaties have hardly deepened the EU's policies to any significant extent. Lisbon was mostly an institutional and modernising treaty, and Nice/Amsterdam were more re-enforcing Maastricht. There has not been any significant extension on policy lines since Maastricht other than the creation of the EEAS and High Rep in Lisbon.
Reply 491
well aid in general has not come up since the first paper in jan 2010 and the other question on terrosim and human rights is a good cross over question between the two topics and also hasn't come up

He just gets really keen on making graphs of which topics have/haven't come up and so therefore whats likely and weirdly in unit 3d, he predicted a good 5/8 questions so fingers crossed the same thing happens again!
Can someone please help me with this question: "

"To what extent is further EU integration necessary and desirable?"

I'm clueless :/ A plan would be helpful.
(edited 11 years ago)
What should the ideal structure be for a 15 mark and 45 mark question? Would it be best to make a point for then follow it up with a criticism or list all the for points in the first half and the against points in the other half?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 494
Original post by FullMetalX
Can someone please help me with this question: "

"To what extent is further EU integration necessary and desirable?"

I'm clueless :/ A plan would be helpful.

Okay ... Further eu integration could be 'widening' which would be enlargement or 'deepening our integration' which is giving up more sovereignty , signing more treaties etc .. So you would first argue in favour of. Widening and deepening integration such as globalisation , stretching our position world wide in terms of politics , opening doors for eastern eu countries to support them financially .. Help reform their countries because they'll benefit from funds such as regional funds and also quicker democratic process because they have to meet the Copenhagen agreement etc .. And then you argue on the other hand , against enlargement , e.g opening doors mean more emigration into the country to benefit from the welfare state, also taking over jobs from British people = higher unemployment amongst those who may charge higher prices .. Etc or giving up our sovereignty which undermines our power in terms of our global position .. And you can also mention the membership of the 10 new member states , and also turkey who's applied to join for years .. ( even more migration , unemployment )

Hope that helps :/

What should the ideal structure be for a 15 mark and 45 mark question? Would it be best to make a point for then follow it up with a criticism or list all the for points in the first half and the against points in the other half?

Either structure is fine. Do which ever youre more comfortable with. I prefer to bounce arguments off eachother because that's the technique I've used for my last 9 exams, and it's seemed to have worked. Also I feel it allows for more evaluation. However structure is also important for this exam, so in that sense if you haven't got equal amounts of arguments, it may be better to pursue a for/against model
Original post by cd01
well aid in general has not come up since the first paper in jan 2010 and the other question on terrosim and human rights is a good cross over question between the two topics and also hasn't come up

He just gets really keen on making graphs of which topics have/haven't come up and so therefore whats likely and weirdly in unit 3d, he predicted a good 5/8 questions so fingers crossed the same thing happens again!

I see, and what were the questions he thinks might come up for 3d?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by toulaa11
Okay ... Further eu integration could be 'widening' which would be enlargement or 'deepening our integration' which is giving up more sovereignty , signing more treaties etc .. So you would first argue in favour of. Widening and deepening integration such as globalisation , stretching our position world wide in terms of politics , opening doors for eastern eu countries to support them financially .. Help reform their countries because they'll benefit from funds such as regional funds and also quicker democratic process because they have to meet the Copenhagen agreement etc .. And then you argue on the other hand , against enlargement , e.g opening doors mean more emigration into the country to benefit from the welfare state, also taking over jobs from British people = higher unemployment amongst those who may charge higher prices .. Etc or giving up our sovereignty which undermines our power in terms of our global position .. And you can also mention the membership of the 10 new member states , and also turkey who's applied to join for years .. ( even more migration , unemployment )

Hope that helps :/

Thank you, that helps! I was really confused with the "necessary and desirable", totally threw me off. I guess it's necessary for a stable monetary union and single market. But mostly undesirable to eurosceptic member states as they fear losing sovereignty.
Does anyone happen to know how the Franco-Berlin axis ties into the democratic deficit? I know France and Germany usually meet on the eve of important European meetings to decide things beforehand, so does this mean it undermines what say the other member states have? Is it even important?
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Either structure is fine. Do which ever youre more comfortable with. I prefer to bounce arguments off eachother because that's the technique I've used for my last 9 exams, and it's seemed to have worked. Also I feel it allows for more evaluation. However structure is also important for this exam, so in that sense if you haven't got equal amounts of arguments, it may be better to pursue a for/against model

Thank you!
Thank you, that helps! I was really confused with the "necessary and desirable", totally threw me off. I guess it's necessary for a stable monetary union and single market. But mostly undesirable to eurosceptic member states as they fear losing sovereignty.
Does anyone happen to know how the Franco-Berlin axis ties into the democratic deficit? I know France and Germany usually meet on the eve of important European meetings to decide things beforehand, so does this mean it undermines what say the other member states have? Is it even important?

France and Germany seem to have disproportionate power in the Union. They are effectively the leaders of the eurozone despite there being another 15 countries in it. Germany in particular has been adamant on ensuring strict conditions are adhered to (i.e. austerity policies) in order to give money in the form of bailouts to Greece. This can therefore be seen as undemocratic because German and French politicians are holding power over other the people of other countries who never elected them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending