The Student Room Group

Sainsburys at Chipping Norton - anyone seen David Cameron?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheCaledonian
He made a seemingly innocuous statement about where he recently got his last pastie and how he eats them all the time (this didn't seem implausible) however on further investigation it was discovered that this shop had closed down years earlier

Oh no!! :tongue: Really? People are now expected to remember when and where they last bought a pasty? I eat pasty's and would probably get the company and location mixed up. He did in fact get the company right, just not its location, which is just stupid to think is a big thing.
Reply 61
Original post by ForKicks
Oh no!! :tongue: Really? People are now expected to remember when and where they last bought a pasty? I eat pasty's and would probably get the company and location mixed up. He did in fact get the company right, just not its location, which is just stupid to think is a big thing.

Far from being something he was "expected to remember", this has already been exposed by Guido Fawkes as a pre-planned PR statement gone wrong - in other words, he was improperly briefed on his own recent history. Things can get pretty confusing when you are in the PR game.
Reply 62
Original post by zara55
Far from being something he was "expected to remember", this has already been exposed by Guido Fawkes as a pre-planned PR statement gone wrong - in other words, he was improperly briefed on his own recent history. Things can get pretty confusing when you are in the PR game.

All politicians are in the PR game, it is a sad fact of the current system. But sure, everyone can focus on trivialities if they really want. :tongue:
Reply 63
All politicians are in the PR game, it is a sad fact of the current system. But sure, everyone can focus on trivialities if they really want. :tongue:

So because the system is infected with PR-driven tosh and devious little sh***-hawks like Cammie and Millibore, we should sit back and accept that and stop complaining?

It's this type of venal view that makes people desperate for alternative, sadly, sometimes more extreme parties.
Reply 64
Original post by Fires
So because the system is infected with PR-driven tosh and devious little sh***-hawks like Cammie and Millibore, we should sit back and accept that and stop complaining?

It's this type of venal view that makes people desperate for alternative, sadly, sometimes more extreme parties.

First you must think what caused this PR obsession in the first place?

The demand from the public that their leaders HAVE to be like them. Before that, people would just accept a good leader as a good leader and a bad one as bad. Now, it is all about having to relate to them on a personal level. It is the public that caused this nonsense.

I don't think it's a big deal however if I decided to announce where I last did something I'd make sure that I was correct or I wouldn't say it. Do I care what David Cameron does in his personal life (provided he isn't feeding information to the Murdoch's or breaking the prime ministerial code)? no but some do and they think that he's making a fool of himself when he makes statements that are easily shown to be untrue because they, much like myself, think that if he is lying about all the unimportant facts ,in such a believable manner and with such detail, then what lies may he be getting away with concerning much more important matters
Reply 66
Original post by TheCaledonian
I don't think it's a big deal however if I decided to announce where I last did something I'd make sure that I was correct or I wouldn't say it. Do I care what David Cameron does in his personal life (provided he isn't feeding information to the Murdoch's or breaking the prime ministerial code)? no but some do and they think that he's making a fool of himself when he makes statements that are easily shown to be untrue because they, much like myself, think that if he is lying about all the unimportant facts ,in such a believable manner and with such detail, then what lies may he be getting away with concerning much more important matters

Unfortunately a large number of the Big Brother watching public do find it a big deal and so he tried to nod to them without really thinking about it. I don't think it reveals anything about lying on a greater scale. Mainly because lies on a national scale would actually have repercussions. Either way, it is mainly forgotten and even if not, will be over the next few years! Certainly not something to resign on :tongue:

Ultimately, we differ over how important personal integrity and professional integrity should be combined. It's actually quite a noted grey area which can also be seen (albeit on a greater scale), over whether ministers should resign over events in private life. I am happy to state that there is no right answer in this :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Unfortunately a large number of the Big Brother watching public do find it a big deal and so he tried to nod to them without really thinking about it. I don't think it reveals anything about lying on a greater scale. Mainly because lies on a national scale would actually have repercussions. Either way, it is mainly forgotten and even if not, will be over the next few years! Certainly not something to resign on :tongue:

Ultimately, we differ over how important personal integrity and professional integrity should be combined. It's actually quite a noted grey area which can also be seen (albeit on a greater scale), over whether ministers should resign over events in private life. I am happy to state that there is no right answer in this :smile:

It matters if they lie during a public TV interview, as Cameron visibly did. There's nothing greyscale about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending