Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheese and Wine

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like wine and I like cheese! And for many people they naturally go together. I usually like a heavy red wine with a strong cheddar, or a medium white with some light cheese like Jarlsberg.

Do you like cheese and wine, and if so what types do you like together??

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Red wine and any nice cheese. Need some decent crackers, too.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Red wine and any nice cheese. Need some decent crackers, too.
    I like cheese with oatcakes or bread + butter
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who would want cheese and wine when you could have beer and crisps?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE cheese and wine.

A really nice heavy red like already mentioned, and pretty much any medium strength cheese. Spiced plum chutney and crackers are essential!

I'm trying to eat healthy at the moment so not had it for a while, since christmas infact
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Who would want cheese and wine when you could have beer and crisps?
    Me.

(Original post by mike101)
    I LOVE cheese and wine.

A really nice heavy red like already mentioned, and pretty much any medium strength cheese. Spiced plum chutney and crackers are essential!

I'm trying to eat healthy at the moment so not had it for a while, since christmas infact
    I've not tried plum chutney before, sounds delicious!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know cheese actually goes better with beer. Beer has a wider range of flavours to complement the wide variety of cheese available.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    You know cheese actually goes better with beer. Beer has a wider range of flavours to complement the wide variety of cheese available.
    I prefer it with wine, not just because there is the expectation that it's sophisticated but the taste is bitter sweet when compared with beer. Not that I dislike beer, infact some German weisse beers are good with cheese, but in general I prefer it with wine.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might find this interesting: its a list of cheeses with the beers or wines that would be a good accompaniment:

Cheese Beer Wine

Asiago Malty Brown Ales Barbera, Chianti, Rioja

Blue Cheeses Barleywine Style Ale (Old Foghorn, Moylan’s), Trappist Beer, Stout Sweet Wine (Roquefort & Sauternes, Port & Stilton)

Brie, Camembert Belgian Blond Ale Champagne, Chardonnay

Brie & Camembert (Very Ripe) French Bière de Garde (Jeanlain or La Choulette Ambree), German Kolsch, Stout Hard Cider, Red Bordeaux

Brie, Camembert (For Dessert) Stout Champagne, Chardonnay

Cheddar, Mellow Pilsner-style lagers (e.g. Pilsner Urquell) Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot

Cheddar & English Farmstead Cheeses Pale Ale (with lots of hops) Ruby Port
    Chevre Belgian Lambics Sauvignon Blanc

Chevre (Aged) Belgian-Style Saison (e.g. Ommegang Hennepin, Saison Dupont) Chardonnay, White Burgundy

Chevre (Aged With Caramel Notes) Creamy Stouts* Chardonnay, White Burgundy (oaky)

Colby, Gloucester Brown Ale

Feta Wheat Beers Light White Wines

Fresh Cheeses (Burrata, Chevre, Creszenza, Mozzarella, Teleme) Fruit Beer, Wheat Beer (Hefeweizen, Weissbier, Witbier), Pilsner Champagne, Sweet White Wine

Gouda Amber Ales, Nut-Brown Ales, Porters Amarone, Shiraz, Zinfandel

Gruyere Malty Beers: Bock, Munich Dunkel, Oktoberfest Grenache, Pinot Noir, Syrah

Havarti, Gouda, Monterey Jack Hoppy Pilsners Beaujolais, Pinot Noir

Mascarpone Fruit Beer, Porter or Stout Marsala

Mimolette Barleywine Ale, Bière des Flandres, Vintage Ale Late Harvest Pinot Gris, Late Harvest Zinfandel, Sweet Vouvray

Pecorino Amber Ale Chianti

Parmigiano-Reggiano Amber Ale, India Pale Ale Barbera, Barolo, Lambrusco

Provolone Pale Ale Cabernet Sauvignon

Sheep’s Milk Cheeses (Mild to Medium-Aged) Amber Ale Full Reds, Sweet Hard Ciders

Sheep’s Milk Cheeses (Aged, Salty, Nutty) Brown Ale Full Reds, Sweet Hard Ciders

Swiss-Style Mountain Cheeses (Comte, Emmental, Gruyere) Bock Beer, Brown Ale, Dark Lager, Oktoberfest Beer, Sweet or Mellow Porter or Stout* Country Wines

Stilton, Roquefort Barleywine Style Ale, Belgian Ale, Stout Port

Triple Crèmes Belgian-Style Saison, Belgian Tripels, Fruit Beers (try Kriek, cherry beer or Kriek Framboise, raspberry beer) Barolo, Brunello, Champagne

Washed Rind Cheeses - Mild e.g. Livarot, Point l’Eveque Darker Ales (Rodenbach Red Ale) French Bière de Garde Alsatian Gewürtztraminer, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Normandy Cider

Washed Rind Cheeses - Strong, e.g. Epoisses, Munster Trappist Beers (Chimay Grande Reserve), Porters, Stouts Alsatian Gewürtztraminer, Pinot Gris, Riesling

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 30, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.