Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You guys should do this.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right i was out with my mate on the week end. After we had a few drinks he parked his car on a hill on a 30-40 degree gradient.
    On the sunday when he was under the legal limit he collected his car, but someone made a dent on the right hand side of his rear and also they left a few scuff marks on the right hand side of the car.

Luckily due to him partaking in motor sports he had a few gopros cameras lying around. So say around 4-5 months ago when hes junior season finished in karting. He took off all his gopro camera from his karts and placed them in his car. One facing the rear and front window. He now has the car number plate of the vehicle thanks to this, and time a details of the day. So someone who thought they were going to get awayis about to get OWNED!

I advice you guys do the same. If gopro cameras are to expensive you should note that there are there are cheaper alternatives on the market.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a gopro too but I wouldn't exactly want to leave it advertised in the car for thieves. Plus even on timelapse the battery won't last more than a couple of hours.

well done on your mate though!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tempting with the amount of scratches that have appeared on my car...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds Tempting...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are systems designed for exactly this which are more effective than a GoPro - they log acceleration and gps data, and often have two cameras built in. They record on a continuous loop and store maybe 2 mins of data before and after a sharp acceleration/deceleration (as you would get in a crash). Not cheap mind, but plenty of cases where they've more than paid for themselves in the event of a crash. I have heard of insurance companies waiving the excess (which you would normally pay to get the car fixed while blame is being decided) in return for the video evidence. It's used quite a lot by commercial drivers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Md80 off Ebay £10. The BOOM
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting but whats the battery life?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    to me my immediate reaction is to park somewhere safer :|
    and it might pay itself back... but then again it might not... there only useful in accidents when the other driver isnt honest... my parents 50+ years driving between them have been in one accident each... my dad drove into the back of someone... camera not useful there, my mum was hit by someone who was honest... i mean my dad even had someone slide into his car in a car park when it was snowy no damage what so ever not a mark but they left a note under the wiper apologising and with there number in case there was any damage they couldnt see

i have had a car for 5 years (on friday ) have passed my test for 4 of those years... my car has never been scratched/hit, i have never been in an accident ... the only time my car has been damaged is when i reversed into my dads stationary landrover it jumped out at me! if your never in an accident what benefit is there?

x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    There are systems designed for exactly this which are more effective than a GoPro - they log acceleration and gps data, and often have two cameras built in. They record on a continuous loop and store maybe 2 mins of data before and after a sharp acceleration/deceleration (as you would get in a crash). Not cheap mind, but plenty of cases where they've more than paid for themselves in the event of a crash. I have heard of insurance companies waiving the excess (which you would normally pay to get the car fixed while blame is being decided) in return for the video evidence. It's used quite a lot by commercial drivers.
    like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK9-I...d&noredirect=1

very useful indeed.

Even if you don't get in accidents....inevitably people are still gonna scratch your bumpers when driving in and out of parking spaces, especially if they can't park very well or it's a tight spot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Sounds interesting but whats the battery life?
    I think some users may know of cheaper alternative that may have better battery life as well :eek: picture quality may lack compared to the go pro camera though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    GoPro will only store maybe 4 or 5 hours of video though, depending on what card you put in. It certainly wouldnt store a whole nights worth of footage, and you would be forever changing SD cards.

Plus, at 250 quid a camera I wouldnt want to leave 2 or 3 of them visible in the car overnight.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so your mate was drink driving the car, parking it whilst pissed on a hill and then in the morning when he was adequately sobored up you found the damage?

I mean I am all for finding the tosser who damaged the car and drove off without a note and for that you should be commended, but you guys are hardly shining examples of decent driving either...drink driving is very stupid.

Just sayin'!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously considering getting a dash cam for my car - I have been brake tested so many times in this car for some reason, and I really don't want a claim against me.

Brake tested = car in front slams on brakes at inappropriate moment in the hope of you running into the back of them and claiming "whiplash".
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Roadhawk is meant to be the bees knees isn't it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe so, not cheap though!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I was just looking at them, not cheap indeed, but then neither is the GoPro. At least the RoadHawk has all google maps, event storing, GPS, and is designed for this very job.

Although it looks like you have to get the top product to get the camera to record whilst parked facility. And that is nigh on £400.

ouchies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Wait, so your mate was drink driving the car, parking it whilst pissed on a hill and then in the morning when he was adequately sobored up you found the damage?

I mean I am all for finding the tosser who damaged the car and drove off without a note and for that you should be commended, but you guys are hardly shining examples of decent driving either...drink driving is very stupid.

Just sayin'!

jeez man he wasn't drunk, just had a few. He wanted to be 100% certain if he was stopped he would defiantly not fail a breath test.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow i need to get a camera.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me)
    jeez man he wasn't drunk, just had a few. He wanted to be 100% certain if he was stopped he would defiantly not fail a breath test.
    Oh right, I just got confused by your op then as you said he wanted to be sure he was legal in the morning before driving it, but I was confused because surely he would have been legal when he drove it at night and thus would not have anything to worry about in the morning.

Wasn't implying nout, but was a little confused on how you explained it if he wasn't drunk he wouldn't need to worry about being legal that's all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    I am seriously considering getting a dash cam for my car - I have been brake tested so many times in this car for some reason, and I really don't want a claim against me.

Brake tested = car in front slams on brakes at inappropriate moment in the hope of you running into the back of them and claiming "whiplash".
    The fact that people do that is disgusting. Such a horrible culture of compensation. The no-win no-fee lawer firms have taken it way too far.

I mean if someone is tailgating me and flashing the rear fogs a couple of time's won't get them off I'll break a little, try and get them to wake up and realise what they are doing.....but slamming on your brakes in the way you described is just terrible....

maybe one day someone will do that to an off duty cop or unmarked car.....that'll teach them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.