Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can't afford rediculously high deposit on accommodation

Announcements Posted on

    (Original post by kassiopeia)
    I had to give 2 months rent in advance, admin fee and cleaning fee!

    There seems to be a bit of a confusion here. This is how it normally works:

    1. You normally pay the equivalent of one month rent as a deposit. This money should be protected in a tenancy deposit scheme. The deposit is fully refundable when you move out and leave the property in the same condition you found it in the first place. This is why inventories are important when you rent privayely. When you move out an exit inventory should be done and you should get your full deposit back (minus the costs for any damage you might have caused).

    2. Then you pay one month rent in advance. This is normal. Rent is always paid in advance unless you live on housing allowance (LHA) as the council pays in arrears.

    3. Letting agents/unis may also charge an admin fee which often seems to be arounf £50.

    In summary 1 month rent in advance + deposit (equal to 1 month rent - refundable) is normal.

    I had to fork out 750 for my deposit when my loan was far from coming in and my bank balance was slim. After much though I came to the conclusion to get a new student account with Halifax as they offer you 1000 interest free overdraft for students up front. This in turn solved my dilemma!

    I suggest you do the same!

    (Original post by hunter0510)
    There seems to be a bit of a confusion here. This is how it normally works:

    In summary 1 month rent in advance + deposit (equal to 1 month rent - refundable) is normal.



    there is often only an admin and/or holding fee required 6 months in advance of the move

    Hey just wondering what came to be in the end, as I'am in the exact same boat now?
    • Thread Starter

    Well what happened is I said "You know what, forget this place", it was put nicely a junk hole, based in luton, I'd rather not be witness to rallys/marches and EDL vs the muslim community every year.
    They were useless and ignorant when I contacted them, with regards to student support they were absolutely no help with giving me any information on what they can offer for learning difficulties etc.

    I declined them and went through clearing and am now going to a lovely university - Trinity Saint David in Carmarthen, and I'm currently awaiting their forms to apply.
    Although I will end up in a twin room but hey, it's gonna be a lot worst for the other person because they are stuck with me!

    Hope you manage to sort it out, if you feeling that the university are not treating you like a human/student and just like a walking money sack like bedfordshire did to me then go through clearing, it's easier than it looks and ANYONE can get a place!


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

How do you sleep?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.