The Student Room Group

Can't afford rediculously high deposit on accommodation

Hello, first of all I am currently in the process of beginning my first year at the Univeristy of Bedfordshire Luton campus this september.

I went through the university's accommodation which they call "Student Village" and recently received an offer for accommodation.

After reading the "administration fee £50(Compulsary)" and "Refundable Deposit £200(Compulsary) I thought "Fair Enough" and was able to pay this.
However after attempting to continue I was greeted by "You must pay your first months rent in advance" this in total bumped my deposit to a total of £738 Which I cannot afford, how do they expect us to be able to pay close to a grand right off the top? and to make matters worst, I have a week from the offer receival to pay it (Until the 4th May).

After phoning the university and explaining that I couldn't afford to pay this rent in advanced as I don't have my student loan yet, I was simple fobbed off with a "Well you are expected to be in a situation to pay it" so much for having leniancy from the uni themselves.

What the heck am I meant to do? I have 4 days to pay, and im 300 short, its madness that this stupid payment system could comprimise my very university days!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Skinny3600
Hello, first of all I am currently in the process of beginning my first year at the Univeristy of Bedfordshire Luton campus this september.

I went through the university's accommodation which they call "Student Village" and recently received an offer for accommodation.

After reading the "administration fee £50(Compulsary)" and "Refundable Deposit £200(Compulsary) I thought "Fair Enough" and was able to pay this.
However after attempting to continue I was greeted by "You must pay your first months rent in advance" this in total bumped my deposit to a total of £738 Which I cannot afford, how do they expect us to be able to pay close to a grand right off the top? and to make matters worst, I have a week from the offer receival to pay it (Until the 4th May).

After phoning the university and explaining that I couldn't afford to pay this rent in advanced as I don't have my student loan yet, I was simple fobbed off with a "Well you are expected to be in a situation to pay it" so much for having leniancy from the uni themselves.

What the heck am I meant to do? I have 4 days to pay, and im 300 short, its madness that this stupid payment system could comprimise my very university days!

Welcome to the real world. This is what renting is like - I had to fork out about £1900 to move into my new flat with the deposit, "admin fees" and month's rent in advance. Seems a bit steep that they're asking you to pay the month's rent in advance of your even moving in, though.
Reply 2

Maybe call again, and ask if you can pay £400 now and the rest in two weeks time and set your own deadline. reexplain the situation to them? sounds ridiculous, esp for a student accommodation...
Reply 3
Maybe ask a family member or friend for the £300, tell them you'll pay them back when you get your studen loan...
Reply 4
How did you get into uni with thinking ridiculous is spelt with an 'e'?
Reply 5

OMG that is diabolical. I know most universities ask for the holding deposit in advance of the student loans but I have never heard of any asking for the first terms rent before the loan arrives!

I don't know what you can do about this. Their attitude is terrible. Are you allowed to apply to the 'hardship funds' at the university before you are enrolled. I doubt it but you could ring and see. Otherwise there are only a few options.

1. Pay what you can and see what happens
2. Try to get a loan somewhere ??????
3. Blow them out and go through clearing

I would definitely write and email to everyone possible in the university with a strongly worded complaint pointing out the situation and that their policy unfairly discriminates against those on low income, preventing many of them from accessing education at their university. I would make clear my intention to forward this complaint formally to the university regulator on the grounds that they are in effect putting deliberate obstacles in the path of such students. Try to get this complaint to the highest level you can and don't let up. Chancellor, senior management team etc. With complaints it is essential to escalate them to a level beyond those who have no power to do anything, generally called the 'gnome' level. Arguing or appealing to 'gnomes' who can merely repeat the rules is a waste of time.

So save your breath and start moving up the hierachy. Also target the office in the university responsible for widening participation and every member of the senior management team and the manager of accomodation services.

In a complaint it is essential that you say also what you want to happen. In this case you wish the first terms rent to be payable upon receipt of the student loan. Mention that this is the normal policy of other universities.

Good luck!

:smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for replying guys, I read about how other peopel have been lucky in their universities being leniant and giving them some leaverage, however the patronising tone and the way they just said "You are expected to be in a position to pay it" is just inconsiderate, if they expect everyone to be able to pay this sort of money, then I'd love to know where they stand on people taking student loans (Which is what its for!).

My family are in no position to give me this much money, and right now its looking like im really buggered!
Do what catoswyn said.
Reply 8
This more or less happened to me prior to my first term: £250 deposit (doable) + first term's rent which was £1545!

I just basically said it's not possible, proved it, and they said just pay when you receive your student loan.

Chances are they probably pressure you to encourage you to pay if you have the money but won't actually do anything if you don't and therefore can't pay.

Is the accommodation run by the university themselves or a private company?
iv never heard of that for student accommodation before :|
halls and in the two houses i was in after we had just the sign up fee and £200 deposit :|

try speaking to them again hope to get hold of someone else... they could have just been having a bad day.... hopefully...

they wouldnt be able to change the date probably (if they tried to take it out of your account and didnt have the money you would have a bank fee... mine for natwest was £20 ) but they would try again at a later date before sending letters and the such... hopefully thats what they did when i didnt have rent ... but that was normal rent (2nd term)... so i really dont know ...
leeds lettings places go off leeds uni dates, leeds met was generally a week or so after leeds uni getting their loans :frown: i went to see them and this was basically what they said to me and "not to worry alot of our student customers dont have their rent on time" yeah probably because they go to leeds met and you go off stupid uni dates!! ggrr!! lol. My housemates all got their loan and rent went out a few days later... my rent was supposed to/went out then a week or two later i was to get my loan i alwas had to keep £800ish in my account to be able to afford the next lot of rent :frown: ....
this message was successfully useless..... im sorry...

other option.... will you have your student account before it has to go ? can you get a overdraft ? ... not ideal but maybe a solution
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I have put these down as my "Firm", am I still able to decline and go through clearing?

Thanks!
Reply 11
Surely there must be other people in the same situation, seeing as students generally start uni with no money whatsoever :tongue:
Try phoning someone different in the accomodation office. Just basically dont give up - keep phoning til you get somewhere!
Reply 12
Thanks for the guideline catoswyn, I have sent an email explaining what the situation is and how it is a discrimitary against students in lower income families to have such a policy, I also dropped in the idea of me refering the issue to the university regulator, so lets see how this plays out!
Reply 13
I have put these down as my "Firm", am I still able to decline and go through clearing?

Thanks!

Use your overdraft? :s-smilie:
I don't think your university place will be geopardised because of that.

Speak to the student finance support at the university and ask them what you can do.

When I did the same on my first year, they said that it's going to be ok because i sorted it all out early and explained to them why I can't pay the rent.
Reply 15
Original post by FinalMH
Use your overdraft? :s-smilie:

I currently only have a card cash account, which has no over draft :s-smilie: I haven't sorted out an account yet
I currently only have a card cash account, which has no over draft :s-smilie: I haven't sorted out an account yet

sort out an account asap, use the overdraft to pay (if the uni really wont extend your deadline till student finace) then when finance does come in that should wipe out the overdraft debt
Original post by Mad Vlad
Welcome to the real world. This is what renting is like - I had to fork out about £1900 to move into my new flat with the deposit, "admin fees" and month's rent in advance. Seems a bit steep that they're asking you to pay the month's rent in advance of your even moving in, though.

I had to give 2 months rent in advance, admin fee and cleaning fee!
Reply 18
Thanks, I might do that asap! but I only have until the 4th!
It turns out that the accommodation is owned by a private firm (They don't even have their own halls!?) which is stupid, so basically I'm stumped on what to do, what other options do I have for accommodation?
I have sent them an email about it, hoping for a reply soon!
Reply 19
Well, you should've applied for accommodation early. You've probably picked one this isn't tailored to students. Beggars can't be choosers.

Either you pay, talk to the landlord or find somewhere else to live.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest