The Student Room Group

Passed driving test but..

Hello everyone, had my first ever driving test this morning and passed it:biggrin:

However, I got 7 minors in the test and feel as though I needed to have no minors in order to be a safe driver on the road:colondollar:

People who pass the second time say that a person who passes the first time is more likely to crash than someone who fails their first test. This is getting me really paranoid:colonhash:

I am over the moon that I have passed though:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by pinda.college
Hello everyone, had my first ever driving test this morning and passed it:biggrin:

However, I got 7 minors in the test and feel as though I needed to have no minors in order to be a safe driver on the road:colondollar:

People who pass the second time say that a person who passes the first time is more likely to crash than someone who fails their first test. This is getting me really paranoid:colonhash:

I am over the moon that I have passed though:smile:

if it makes you feel better most minors and even a few majors are stuff drivers do every day
Well, you're obviously good enough to drive solo if you've passed your test! Enjoy it, everyone drives differently.

It doesn't matter how many attempts at your test it takes, some people still wrap their cars around trees even if they passed first time.

Don't pay any attention to hear say, just go with the flow and drive. You don't learn to drive properly until you've passed your test anyway!
How did you guys find it driving on your own without your instructors?
I passed first time with 0 minors, I still crashed...
I got 7 minors as well. They allow minors for a reason, you have been passed as safe to drive.
How did you guys find it driving on your own without your instructors?

Quite strange. I was used to having someone to talk to whenever i was driving around etc. When i got my car, i just drove around my local area, as its easier learning to drive in a place familiar to you.

After about 2 weeks, driving was awesome, until i had a minor collision into my neighbours car :awesome:
Original post by Chicharito14
Quite strange. I was used to having someone to talk to whenever i was driving around etc. When i got my car, i just drove around my local area, as its easier learning to drive in a place familiar to you.

After about 2 weeks, driving was awesome, until i had a minor collision into my neighbours car :awesome:

Yeah, having an empty seat next to me was weird. I drove to work and back and that was it for weeks. First time I had a near miss really scared me.
Original post by walterwhite123
Yeah, having an empty seat next to me was weird. I drove to work and back and that was it for weeks. First time I had a near miss really scared me.

I had a near miss driving back home with a friend, from football training.

I was driving down an A road(which is quite narrow), in the fast lane, doing 55mph (trying to overtake some cars in the middle lane going proper slow), and as i was driving along, a car in the middle lane tried to pull out.

Literally, the corner of the other car was about 10cm away from touching the rear passenger door on my car, and driving at 55mph, anything could happen.

Started honking at the other driver, who was oblivious to what just occurred.

That is a reminder to all, to keep checking their mirrors whilst driving!
Original post by Chicharito14
I had a near miss driving back home with a friend, from football training.

I was driving down an A road(which is quite narrow), in the fast lane, doing 55mph (trying to overtake some cars in the middle lane going proper slow), and as i was driving along, a car in the middle lane tried to pull out.

Literally, the corner of the other car was about 10cm away from touching the rear passenger door on my car, and driving at 55mph, anything could happen.

Started honking at the other driver, who was oblivious to what just occurred.

That is a reminder to all, to keep checking their mirrors whilst driving!

Ironically my minors were for not checking mirrors/blind spot a few times. However, I will always check from now on.

Ready for the big game?

2-1 (Rooney to score two) am buzzing for the game:biggrin:
People make minor mistakes everyday there's just not someone sitting next to you the whole time to tell you about it once you've passed.

I can't believe how easy driving feels now I've passed, everything seemed to take twice as much concentration during a lesson.
I got 8 minors, but they were just little mistakes that anyone could make.

And I cannot say that rule applies to everyone, because a girl in my class who passed second time said that, and she's crashed four times in a year so...

When you start driving on your own, you will get better. Practice is the way forward!
Reply 12
Passed first time but I nearly crapped myself soon after, went round a large roundabout at about 30mph when it was wet, not the most sensible of decisions. Luckily it was an empty dual carriageway and no-one was around at the time as I lost it and only managed to regain control at the last second.

Basically, don't be complacent once you've passed :tongue:
Reply 13
Congrats on passing!

People make mistakes every day, like what would be classed as minors in a test situation, it doesn't matter whether you pass first time or your 51st time or how many minors you got, at the end of the day you passed and are deemed fit to drive on the road by yourself :smile:

It's quite scary though the first time you drive with that empty seat next to you!
Reply 14
Minors = areas to be aware of and the more in a box means to be more aware of that issue

They do not mean unsafe

I do an advanced driving assessment every year and get comments on how some things could be that bit better but that does not mean they are below standard or unsafe

All perfect drivers raise your hands please ...

If you know some one who does raise their hand then stay well clear of them!!
Ironically my minors were for not checking mirrors/blind spot a few times. However, I will always check from now on.

Ready for the big game?

2-1 (Rooney to score two) am buzzing for the game:biggrin:

I have been waiting for this game for the past month or so!

I'm just praying we don't lose the match.

I've been invited out to a Uni Ball, and have declined it as i would rather watch the match instead haha.

I cannot stand knowing the final score of a match, without actually watching the match, especially a game of this magnitude. It is never the same!

I wonder what the odds are on the United fans doing the Poznan, if United score first? :holmes:
Reply 16
Do Pass Plus?
Original post by kopite493
if it makes you feel better most minors and even a few majors are stuff drivers do every day

This is absolutely true. If you push out of a junction into traffic, you'd probably get a fail straight away. When my parents drive, they call it 'London driving', and see it as acceptable.

I got three minors, but a friend of mine got 6 and a serious on his first attempt, and he's a much better driver than me after only a couple of months.

Hell, I would probably fail every time I got in the car if an examiner was secretly watching, I always forget my observations :biggrin:
Thanks for all the reassuring comments:smile:
Congratulation on passing! Being able to drive is amazing, the freedom you have :redface:

Don't worry - I got 6minors, the more you drive the more confident you'll get! :smile:
However if you feel like you're making stupid, potentially dangerous mistakes, check yourself when driving - imagine your parent or instructor is with you.

Ps: don't have your music too loud, for the first month or so, have it quite quiet :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending