The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Physics paper 2012!

Personally I found general was a walk in the park, as always.

Credit was definitely more difficult than last year's, but I think it was still alright and I still hope to get a 1 for it :smile:

What questions did you find most:
Difficult?
Easy?

What grade do you hope for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes I found it difficult, it was like all the worst parts of the past papers put together. Thank god I crammed in the clock pulse generator, transformer and telescope yesterday!!! TBH they will have to lower the pass marks for it because it was so difficult. Did anyone else find the ray diagram about the telescope difficult?
Hopefully I will get a 1, but we will just have to wait and see.
Reply 2
Hey.

I thought general was great, finished it in like 45 mins and looked over etc.

Credit was quite hard.

There were a few I wasn't sure about, its funny how I cant remember none!

@Nerd434,

What was the telescope one asking?
For the ice cubes one, the first part I used eh=ml, the second part eh=cm^t
The al base one, I wrote heat is lost to surroundings, clearly obvious it was a failed guess !

Do you think its likely of them reducing the pass mark?
Reply 3
Yeah thats what i did, they all used vapourisation though? I used fusion, what did you use?

What other exams you got?
Reply 4
Original post by oscan
Yes I found it difficult, it was like all the worst parts of the past papers put together. Thank god I crammed in the clock pulse generator, transformer and telescope yesterday!!! TBH they will have to lower the pass marks for it because it was so difficult. Did anyone else find the ray diagram about the telescope difficult?
Hopefully I will get a 1, but we will just have to wait and see.

Just read that, so true !! Wasnt expecting none of it!:frown::frown:
Quick question for those who sat it today (I sat it last year so wasn't sitting it today! :tongue:)

Did they ask you about how a clock pulse generator works ?
Reply 6
Original post by S119234
Quick question for those who sat it today (I sat it last year so wasn't sitting it today! :tongue:)

Did they ask you about how a clock pulse generator works ?

Yeah they asked us to explain it all regarding the capacitance etc.
Original post by Aay
Yeah they asked us to explain it all regarding the capacitance etc.

Oh no, that was the one I always found the most difficult to learn :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by jamieguitar101
i used fusion aswell

chem, history, maths, french, music, graphics (i can't do that subject at all) what about u? :smile:

Pheww.

and, english, physics, maths, chem, bio, history, drama, french.

My stronger ones are english, chem, bio and french.

The rest I basically lose sleep over.:rolleyes:

What tops are you doing in history?
Reply 9
Original post by S119234
Oh no, that was the one I always found the most difficult to learn :s-smilie:

Yeah I agree 101%.

I know I've got it wrong,

It makes no sense that when its 0 the led lights and when its 1, it doesnt haha!

Are you doing higher physics if you dont mind me asking, because Ive picked it and wana' know what ive put myself down for!!:wink:
Reply 10
Original post by jamieguitar101
B A D topics, see the question about peek voltage did you get 30V
and the one about how it couldn't go over 25v, 20V ?

Yep i got those.

it was 3up for the amp and i multiplied it by 10.

And yeap 20.

What did you get for the transformers one about the national grid.

I couldnt get my mind round the ns,np,vs,vp equation !!:angry:
Reply 11
Original post by nerd434
The three I wasn't sure about:

The telescope question on the last question, can't even remember doing that in class.. And looking through my textbooks now, there is very little on it..

Also, the Eh = mc^T question about the ice cubes, I didn't know what to put for T because it said the water froze at 0°C?

I couldn't remember how to rearrange Ek = MV² x 0.5 to find V! It was annoying me so much!

And lastly the one mark question saying: Why would the aluminium base on the iron be less than the technician's calculated mass..

Other than that, I thought most of the questions were alright..

I used E=ml for the ice one because there was no temperature change. Also, the triangles for equations help.

So

Ek
0.5 m v^2

V^2= Ek / 0.5 m
Reply 12
Pass marks will definitely be lowered! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the results anyway! :/

I used vaporisation by accident! It's only one mark lost anyway :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by anthonyfl
Pass marks will definitely be lowered! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the results anyway! :/

All will be revealed!

we'll do good hopefully, we did our best, at least we can say that..

Are you signing up for mysqa, texts?
Reply 14
What did anyone put for the question about the falling tile?
Reply 15
Original post by nerd434
Does everyone genuinely think it was a lot harder or did we all just get hit with the exam panic and over-think more than we do when sitting Past Papers?

Also, you know for the distance of the Speed/Time graph, did you just find the area of the rectangle and the area of the triangle and add them together?

I think it was genuinely harder than pastpapers.

I usually suffer anxiety and blah blah in exams so I dont know.

For the distance one, yeah i did that.:colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by nerd434
Does everyone genuinely think it was a lot harder or did we all just get hit with the exam panic and over-think more than we do when sitting Past Papers?

Also, you know for the distance of the Speed/Time graph, did you just find the area of the rectangle and the area of the triangle and add them together?

Yeah I did that and got 1035m but wasn't sure if that was right and the question was calculate the final speed of the falling tile
Reply 17
Original post by Jonathan5
Yeah I did that and got 1035m but wasn't sure if that was right and the question was calculate the final speed of the falling tile

I think i used ek=eop, then 1/2mv^2.

Cant mind though.:confused:
Reply 18
i thought it was quite hard, and is is bad that i cant remember a telescope question at all!
Reply 19
Original post by humza100
i thought it was quite hard, and is is bad that i cant remember a telescope question at all!

Think it was the one about the objective lens about it being brighter?

Cant mind.

Quick Reply

Latest