The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Physics paper 2012!

Scroll to see replies

We weren't, the invigilator handed my teacher copies on his way out of the school, a few hours after the exam :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Electric_Boots
liquid to gas

That's what i wrote but everyone else in my exam wrote gas to liquid :-/
Original post by jamieguitar101
thanks tasha96
hoped you get the result you want :biggrin:

No problem! :smile:
I doubt I will- that went awfully. But the same to you! :hugs:

Original post by nerd434
For the peak voltage one, you just had to know that it was 10V per square (can't remember the name of it) and then count how many squares from the trough, not from the bottom?

So I think there were 3 squares and I multiplied that by 10 getting a peak voltage of 30V?

Yeah- that was how you did it. :yep:
I was being really thick about it and counted it from the bottom. I spent ages on that as well- it was one of those ones that's really simple, but your brain just doesn't want to know about it! :lol:

Original post by nerd434
That's weird that you were allowed to take the paper away, we weren't :frown:!

Nah- my teacher went to the school office and got the pile of spares!
Besides- you cant take the paper out- you've written your answers on it! :biggrin:
Original post by nerd434
For everyone who is worrying (including myself), I think we tend to focus on the all the silly mistakes instead of all the simple marks we picked up through straight forward answers and calculations!

I'm sure everyone in this thread got a lot more answers correct than they did wrong! Most of us will have a 1 for our Practical and so we only require a 1 (if that's what you're going for) in either KU or PS andddddddd I think they will lower the boundaries by at least 3 marks on each section.

According to my teacher it's the hardest paper he's seen in 11+ years. Going on that I'm hoping (a lot) that the pass mark is brought down by more than 3 on each section. You never know.
Original post by jamieguitar101
iI believe the pass mark will be brought down by atleast 8 marks

Realistic to say the least. If it comes down by that many marks, I'm sure I'll get a 1/1.
It really depends on how hard you're willing to work during the higher course - and ultimately your schools english department, they might let you, they might not.
Original post by Aay
Yeah I agree 101%.

I know I've got it wrong,

It makes no sense that when its 0 the led lights and when its 1, it doesnt haha!

Are you doing higher physics if you dont mind me asking, because Ive picked it and wana' know what ive put myself down for!!:wink:

Yup, I'm doing Higher right now, is quite interesting really, lots of work though, once you master the techniques of the calculations and do them over and over again, it does get a bit easier.
Hi. I had heard you were all up in arms about this paper, but you all seem pretty relaxed. Don't worry too much. If it turns out a lot of people did worse than expected then it will reflect in the grade averages - we do our best to be fair to candidates. I should also say that the exams are devised to test your knowledge of the subject, not of past papers, and sometimes people get caught out.

SAM :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Electric_Boots
Yeah im pretty sure it was the coolant which was liquid to gas

I got that too as I thought the coolant needs to take in heat energy from the water to change state from liguid to gas :confused:.
Reply 49
Original post by -Neuro-
What did all of you get for your prelims?

1 for physics, yourself?
Original post by -Neuro-

EDIT: For Physics

I got a 1 for Physics.
Reply 51
Original post by RobertAnthonySmith
I got a 1 for Physics.

nice one.:cool:
Reply 52
Original post by -Neuro-
1 KU, 1PS and 1 PA
So overall 1

:biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by -Neuro-
Well done to both of you! We should hopefully be getting 1's for the final.

Are you taking higher next year?

Hopefully.

and yeah Ive picked it, really wanting to do it but If i dont get a credit pass I dont think they'll let me in :frown:

You ?
Original post by -Neuro-
Well done to both of you! We should hopefully be getting 1's for the final.

Are you taking higher next year?

I picked it too, but that paper was hard.. hoping for a credit pass, if I do get it, I'll do higher.
Reply 55
Yeah the course looks great.

My physics teacher says it is a really difficult course, but i guess if you put the work in from day one, study as per required, then you've got a decent chance of getting a good grade.
Reply 56
Original post by -Neuro-

EDIT: For Physics

Six 1s Two 2s

1:1 for physics
Hey what did you all put down for the question were you had to find the activity after 2 days ?
Reply 58
Original post by aprilhunter96
Hey what did you all put down for the question were you had to find the activity after 2 days ?

2 days = 12 hour half life = 4 half lives

So just half the number 4 times :smile:
Original post by anthonyfl
2 days = 12 hour half life = 4 half lives

So just half the number 4 times :smile:

He's right, I ended up with 8MBq

Quick Reply

Latest