Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is it acceptable to poke fun at christians but not muslims?

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mican)
    i dont know bout other religions, but muslims are NOT ALLOWED to make fun of other religions.stated clearly in the Quran.

religion is indeed not to be treated as jokes.
    But if someone does make fun of Islam, do they deserve death?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many comedians are afraid of the reaction they'll get from Muslims. They know some Muslims have no sence of humour.

Jimmy Carr took the piss out of religion in one of his stand-ups. It went along the lines of; "God definitely does not exist. Unless your Muslim, then he definitely does exist..."

For those who don't get the irony, its basically taking the piss out of the fact most comedians are scared of insulting Muslims due to the inevitable backlash.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because christians won't generally behead you for pointing out how ****ing stupid their beliefs are.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    personally i think it comes from a wide range lack of knowledge of the islamic faith in western society, all most people know about it is what they've seen on the news which is rarely a good thing, so most people would only get a muslim joke if it used that as a basis which is wrong really.

i think dara o'brian says it best

• 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    why do mainstream comedians, politically correct commentators and prominent atheists etc always seem to poke fun at christians but never muslims?

edit:

i was looking for examples of anti christian 'comedy' when i came across this from the show 'curb your enthusiasm' -- this isn't actually comedy, its pure and unadulterated hatred.

larry david, who is jewish, urinates on a picture of jesus in the house of devout christians. then the devout christians see the urine on the picture and think the picture is weeping and they believe that a miracle had happened.

( this clip is so shocking it probably deserves another discussion about the issue of jewish supremacism in hollywood and anti christian hatred in the media. )

Because Muslim's take there faith far more seriously and do not like accepting new things into the faith as it will eventually lead to the alteration of the faith and become like Christianity today with it's fractures and numerous groups....and how people are Christian by name............

When you follow a faith your supposed to follow it, respect and not be expect people to hate on your faith and take the mick.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Christians won't put a fatwa on you.

Spoiler:
    Show
    For the record, I know a fatwa isn't necessarily a death sentence, and that it can be entirely innocuous, and also that there have been fatwas against Islamist terrorism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badcheesecrispy)
    why? why is ok to make jokes about women, men, gingers, politics, animals, flight companies, b n b owners, fat controllers but not religion?

whats so special about religion, its just a dogmatic set of rules that generations before have managed to brainwash others into believing it is real.

you must be scared of god to say something so silly, wtf.
    so i see that you dont believe in God.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    They don't tolerate anyone making a mockery out of their religion, that's why comedians won't do it, because they know how impactful the reaction will be on their career.

Again, a clear illustration of western logic, "you don't conform with us, we don't like you."
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    why do mainstream comedians, politically correct commentators and prominent atheists etc always seem to poke fun at christians but never muslims?

edit:

i was looking for examples of anti christian 'comedy' when i came across this from the show 'curb your enthusiasm' -- this isn't actually comedy, its pure and unadulterated hatred.

larry david, who is jewish, urinates on a picture of jesus in the house of devout christians. then the devout christians see the urine on the picture and think the picture is weeping and they believe that a miracle had happened.

( this clip is so shocking it probably deserves another discussion about the issue of jewish supremacism in hollywood and anti christian hatred in the media. )

That clip is disgusting
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Because Muslim's take there faith far more seriously and do not like accepting new things into the faith as it will eventually lead to the alteration of the faith and become like Christianity today with it's fractures and numerous groups....and how people are Christian by name............

When you follow a faith your supposed to follow it, respect and not be expect people to hate on your faith and take the mick.
    So you completely disregard the strong and compelling evidence for Evolution?

Gosh, ignorance is bliss, eh?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    Hear hear!! It's a joke. I am not religious but I would stand up for Christians against Muslims any day, and it is irritating that Muslims seem to get preferential treatment, yet Christians do not go round bombing London or flying planes into skyscrapers.... Something is wrong here surely!!

At Lichfield, I believe there is talk of building a mosque in the Cathedral grounds.... and if that is not taking the p*ss out of the Christians I don't know what is!!! I don't think it will go ahead but you never know nowadays...

It's like foreigners shortening Britons to Brits, yet we cannot shorten Pakistanis to you-know-what's.....

Or that BaaBaa Rainbow Sheep scenario, yet we can still have a White Christmas and not a Ranbow Christmas!!!

Totally f****d up somewhere methinks...

Though to be fair, a lot of the time it is the majority panicking that the minority may take offence when in fact they won't!! We have become too paranoid!!
    Brits is not derogatory, the shorted version of Pakistanis is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mican)
    so i see that you dont believe in God.
    no im atheist, not a god believer. Not enough proof of it for me.

Id rather just get on with my life as i see fit, use my conscience that evolution has provided me to do the right thing, and have fun.

Had no *******s so far
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Brits is not derogatory, the shorted version of Pakistanis is.
    i suppose then all the pakistanis who call themselves it and say they dont mind the word being used, are derogatory towards themselves.

its a shortened version of the full- pakistani, just like brit is a shortened version of Briton.

Its only PC mindedness that makes one think it is derogatory
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because we don't want to get blown up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Us cool cats will bash any religious belief regardless of what is 'acceptable'.

And that said, mocking beliefs is always 'acceptable', unless you're some authoritarian dickhead. Mocking belief in the supernatural? Not just 'acceptable'. A good thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    Hear hear!! It's a joke. I am not religious but I would stand up for Christians against Muslims any day, and it is irritating that Muslims seem to get preferential treatment, yet Christians do not go round bombing London or flying planes into skyscrapers.... Something is wrong here surely!!

At Lichfield, I believe there is talk of building a mosque in the Cathedral grounds.... and if that is not taking the p*ss out of the Christians I don't know what is!!! I don't think it will go ahead but you never know nowadays...

It's like foreigners shortening Britons to Brits, yet we cannot shorten Pakistanis to you-know-what's.....

Or that BaaBaa Rainbow Sheep scenario, yet we can still have a White Christmas and not a Ranbow Christmas!!!

Totally f****d up somewhere methinks...

Though to be fair, a lot of the time it is the majority panicking that the minority may take offence when in fact they won't!! We have become too paranoid!!
    Well said. Glad to know i'm not the only one in this country with a bit of sanity left! =P Christianity is a massive part of this country's identity, and is really the backbone of our society. We shouldn't be letting people put it down.
    Fact is, though, our country is full of wimps that are scared of doing anything lest the poor, dear minorities complain. If it were up to me, I'd say to the minorities: get used to it or get out ...
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    So you completely disregard the strong and compelling evidence for Evolution?

Gosh, ignorance is bliss, eh?
    Firstly this thread has nothing to do with what your stating and your going off topic.
    Secondly, ignorance is whereby some one has a lack of knowledge, etc on a matter, I have been taught evolution theory, however there are many missing links in this theory, plus it's more than just one thing which affects a persons ability to choose what they want to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should think about it in the other way, maybe Christians should defend their religion more and prevent people from making fun of it. Surely its not a bad thing to protect something you devoutly believe in rather than freely letting people stamp over it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because Muslims will **** you up.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.