Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is it acceptable to poke fun at christians but not muslims?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    But if someone does make fun of Islam, do they deserve death?
    :eek: ouch!always with the killing.

so far i've seen the verses only commanding us to stay away from those who make fun of Islam.
    but i'll try and find out more on this.going to update later, if i managed to find the right answer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badcheesecrispy)
    no im atheist, not a god believer. Not enough proof of it for me.

Id rather just get on with my life as i see fit, use my conscience that evolution has provided me to do the right thing, and have fun.

Had no problems so far
    sure thing.that's your stand. no problem.
    evolution.am seriously looking forward to learn more on that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    why do mainstream comedians, politically correct commentators and prominent atheists etc always seem to poke fun at christians but never muslims?

edit:

i was looking for examples of anti christian 'comedy' when i came across this from the show 'curb your enthusiasm' -- this isn't actually comedy, its pure and unadulterated hatred.

larry david, who is jewish, urinates on a picture of jesus in the house of devout christians. then the devout christians see the urine on the picture and think the picture is weeping and they believe that a miracle had happened.

( this clip is so shocking it probably deserves another discussion about the issue of jewish supremacism in hollywood and anti christian hatred in the media. )

I'm guessing you've only watched a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It makes many more jokes about Jewish people than it does about Christians and it does poke fun at Muslims too.
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    Hear hear!! It's a joke. I am not religious but I would stand up for Christians against Muslims any day, and it is irritating that Muslims seem to get preferential treatment
    What preferential treatment do Muslims get?

At Lichfield, I believe there is talk of building a mosque in the Cathedral grounds.... and if that is not taking the p*ss out of the Christians I don't know what is!!! I don't think it will go ahead but you never know nowadays...
    Welcome to democracy

It's like foreigners shortening Britons to Brits, yet we cannot shorten Pakistanis to you-know-what's.....
    Or like adding a g to Niger

Or that BaaBaa Rainbow Sheep scenario, yet we can still have a White Christmas and not a Ranbow Christmas!!!
    Myths

Totally f****d up somewhere methinks...
    Yes you are
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    This is probably why you see a fair bit of criticism of Islam on internet forums, whereas in the mainstream media there is very little.
    With all due respect, TSR is the only forum I know where that really happens. Besides, the internet is not a means of measuring of what people think in the real world. I mean if we were to take COD conversations, we'd have 14 year olds raping each other's Mums every 5 minutes

Or that every one in the world seems to think that absolutely every thing is controlled by the Illuminati etc....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i suppose then all the pakistanis who call themselves it and say they dont mind the word being used, are derogatory towards themselves.

its a shortened version of the full- pakistani, just like brit is a shortened version of Briton.

Its only PC mindedness that makes one think it is derogatory
    No the reason why its seen as offensive is because people first started to come from Pakistan to Britain, the word P*** was used in an offensive manor and as an insult. So now its seen as offensive. The word Brit has never been an insult. No word is inherently offensive; if when people from Pakistan had started to come over to the UK and people had said stuff like ''F*** off to where you came from you banana", and use banana as an offensive term for people from Pakistan, then banana would probably be seen as an offensive word.

I think another reason why people see it as offensive is because of the ignorance behind the use of the word. I have a friend who is of Turkish decent and of Bangladeshi decent and they have both been called P****.

As for the reasons why people from Pakistan call themselves P****, is probably similar to why Black people call themselves the N word. Which is summarised in this video of an interview with Jay-Z by Oprah (http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Jay-Z...e-N-word-Video)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry dear but its perfectly acceptable, maybe muslims should get used to it because the belief will be ridiculed and dissected by those in the west as Christianity has, and dummy spitting wont stop it. You want to live in a free democracy, you accept freedom to critizise and ridicule anything, that includes Islam
    OK, so I can poke fun at other religions and beliefs...my comment was that people should not ridicule other religions as most of the time they don't know enough ahout the religion...people can dissect Islam if they want, I couldn't care less..but making fun of religions is not nice.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's fear, simple as. Anyone saying "cause they're a minority" is just beating around the issue instead of confronting it directly. Remember the Mohammed drawings and the attacks that happened after. Its cases like that, that bring about this fear. With Christians people KNOW for a fact that they can make as much fun of them as possible without suffering any disastrous consequences. Its quite simple really, people learn from their past experiences.

Dissing Islam i.e. religon of peace = potential bloodbath

Dissing Christianity = well.....nothing. That's if you don't count laughter.

(Original post by Siiba)
    I am a Muslim and I don't think that it is acceptable to poke fun at any religion or belief... At the end of the day half the things comedians say are just to make people laugh, don't take it seriously.
    Yet if those comedians were poking fun at Muslims I could bet on my life you'd never have said that. Quite ironic really. :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    It's fear, simple as. Anyone saying "cause they're a minority" is just beating around the issue instead of confronting it directly. Remember the Mohammed drawings and the attacks that happened after. Its cases like that, that bring about this fear. With Christians people KNOW for a fact that they can make as much fun of them as possible without suffering any disastrous consequences. Its quite simple really, people learn from their past experiences.

Dissing Islam i.e. religon of peace = potential bloodbath

Dissing Christianity = well.....nothing. That's if you don't count laughter.

Yet if those comedians were poking fun at Muslims I could bet on my life you'd never have said that. Quite ironic really. :rolleyes:
    Actually no..I have heard comedians make some jokes about Islam...couldn't care less frankly, it is their job to make people laugh, most of them do this by being as out there as they can. They don't care who they offend.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The main reason comedians joke about Christianity and not Islam is because this is a predominantly Christian country, and that's what the comedians are familiar with.

(There is the additional fear of getting blown up by Muslims, though. Plus the PC brigade with their additional defences for minorities than the majority position. See reactions to the Muhammed cartoons for examples of both.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siiba)
    So you're blaming all Muslims because of the acts of a few individuals?
    Surely, this gives me the right to say that due to Breiviks actions a majority of Christians or Norweigans are terrorists?
    And you can call me a paki if you want, I'm not offended. Pakistanis have reclaimed the word, so it is really only racist when used in a derogatory manner.
    And Muslims don't want preferential treatment..you probably read the Daily Mail, they always come out with random untrue stories on halal meat,etc. and then their apology is tucked away in a small corner where no one can even see it.
    Yawn....

Well, there are extreme cases in both Christianity and Islam. OK, so Breiviks is a Christian. But then, he is an extreme case. So are the muslims who carried out 9/11 and 7/7. Nowhere do I state that all Muslims are evil, as I am sure that they are not.

However, there seem to be more cases of Islam extreme than Christian extreme. Correct me if I am wrong, but are the Taliban not Muslims?!?! And are they not extremes?!?!?! It just seems that muslim threats, terrorism and behaviour problems appear more on news than any Christian terrorism, Breiviks aside.

And I would not touch a tabloid with a bargepole, be that the Hately Mail or the Sun.

If you read my last point, you will see that I state that many do not want preferential treatment, and that it is often the majority panicking about what they might take offence to. Or did that slip past you...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siiba)
    Actually no..I have heard comedians make some jokes about Islam...couldn't care less frankly, it is their job to make people laugh, most of them do this by being as out there as they can. They don't care who they offend.
    If you say so. But just remember that a lot of muslims aren't so tolerant.

Besides how many comedians piss all over Islam compared to Christianity?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yawn....

Well, there are extreme cases in both Christianity and Islam. OK, so Breiviks is a Christian. But then, he is an extreme case. So are the muslims who carried out 9/11 and 7/7. Nowhere do I state that all Muslims are evil, as I am sure that they are not.

However, there seem to be more cases of Islam extreme than Christian extreme. Correct me if I am wrong, but are the Taliban not Muslims?!?! And are they not extremes?!?!?! It just seems that muslim threats, terrorism and behaviour problems appear more on news than any Christian terrorism, Breiviks aside.

And I would not touch a tabloid with a bargepole, be that the Hately Mail or the Sun.

If you read my last point, you will see that I state that many do not want preferential treatment, and that it is often the majority panicking about what they might take offence to. Or did that slip past you...
    Sorry, mistake on my part. Apologies.
    And yeah you're right there are more terroists and extremists in Islam than other religions. But the fact is all Muslims are tarnished with the same brush due to the actions of a few groups/indviduals.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe taking the p*** out of religion shouldn't be acceptable no matter what. You wouldn't go around making racist remarks to anyone so why should you make fun of religion?:confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siiba)
    Sorry, mistake on my part. Apologies.
    And yeah you're right there are more terroists and extremists in Islam than other religions. But the fact is all Muslims are tarnished with the same brush due to the actions of a few groups/indviduals.
    Apology accepted.

Yes it is unfair that muslims are all tarnished.

But since when do you hear of Muslims doing good things? You hear of Christian charities such as Christian Aid; I cannot think of a Muslim charity.

Islam also seems to be somewhat backwards and harsh - they chop thieves' hands off in the Middle East (which is predominately Islam) - backwards!! I agree with a tough punishment but maybe that is a little extreme, though it would depend on the value of the stolen items....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yawn....

Are the IRA not Catholic? The UDA, LVF, UVF, RHD...all are Protestant. That's just Northern Ireland though, what about everywhere else? Hm, personally I think Westboro Baptist count as an 'extreme'. The Japanese Red Army, PKK (Turkey), PFLP (Syria) - all are terrorist groups, and that's just a few of the ones that aren't religiously affiliated at all.
    http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/terrorist-groups.cfm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._organizations

Muslim != Terrorist
    Muslim != More likely to be extreme
    Crazy group of people who aim to kill others = Terrorist

I call Islamophobia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iram Noor)
    I believe taking the p*** out of religion shouldn't be acceptable no matter what. You wouldn't go around making racist remarks to anyone so why should you make fun of religion?:confused:
    Race is natural. Same way homophobia shouldn't be tolerated, because loving someone of the same gender is natural. As is having red hair, freckles, fat, etc etc.

Religion is something that is chosen and believed in for a variety of reasons. I choose what music I listen to and don't mind if others either don't like it or criticise it. Because hey, they don't have to like my music. They do, however, have to accept that racism, homophobia, sexism, etc are bigotry.

Also, there's a massive difference between free speech and hate speech. Advocating the death of all Christians is hate speech. Disagreeing with Christian beliefs is free speech.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna150)
    Anders Behring Breivik is a christian.
    He call's himself an atheist is his manifesto.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus is important to Muslims as well
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squishy123)
    Because Christians will just change and evolve their religion in accordance with public opinion?

(Original post by Steevee)
    Because in Christianity there was an enlightenment, which precipitated moderation and forward thinking, moving away from blind dogma and irrationaility. In mainstream Islam this hasn't happened yet, and so many Muslims feel the need to violently defend the honour of a long dead Arab in the name of an unseen God.
    Makes a lot of sense to change your religion to fit in with society. I don't understand Christians. If they are changing their religion, doesn't that suggest that the religion their God sent upon them was flawed and thus needed changing?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.