Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

why is it acceptable to poke fun at christians but not muslims?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    Makes a lot of sense to change your religion to fit in with society. I don't understand Christians. If they are changing their religion, doesn't that suggest that the religion their God sent upon them was flawed and thus needed changing?
    God hasn't sent humanity any religion...religion was invented by human kind in order to explain phenomenons that could not be explained in the past. People like mohammed only knew how to take advantage of people's ignorance.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    because muslims don't **** around when someone criticises them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's acceptable to poke fun at both.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    Tbh, I'm not entirely sure myself and I'm still researching the ins and outs of this topic. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can shed light on the issue.
    To my knowledge it is permissable to kill someone insulting the Prophet (from the Hadiths) because of a couple of stories about how women who were insulting him were murdered (by other men), and Muhammad said there was no recompense to be paid, or something like that.

I could be wrong, but these verses could be taken that way
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    Hear hear!! It's a joke. I am not religious but I would stand up for Christians against Muslims any day, and it is irritating that Muslims seem to get preferential treatment, yet Christians do not go round bombing London or flying planes into skyscrapers.... Something is wrong here surely!!

At Lichfield, I believe there is talk of building a mosque in the Cathedral grounds.... and if that is not taking the p*ss out of the Christians I don't know what is!!! I don't think it will go ahead but you never know nowadays...

It's like foreigners shortening Britons to Brits, yet we cannot shorten Pakistanis to you-know-what's.....

Or that BaaBaa Rainbow Sheep scenario, yet we can still have a White Christmas and not a Ranbow Christmas!!!

Totally f****d up somewhere methinks...

Though to be fair, a lot of the time it is the majority panicking that the minority may take offence when in fact they won't!! We have become too paranoid!!

EDIT: Many of you have pointed out, correctly, that Breiviks is a Christian and not a Muslim, does that mean all Christians or Norwegians will go round shooting random people? If not, why should Muslims all be branded with the same iron?

Well, there are extreme cases in both Christianity and Islam. OK, so Breiviks is a Christian. But then, he is an extreme case. So are the Muslims who carried out 9/11 and 7/7. Nowhere do I state that all Muslims are evil, as I am sure that they are not.

However, there seem to be more cases of Islam extreme than Christian extreme. Correct me if I am wrong, but are the Taliban not Muslims?!?! And are they not extremes?!?!?! It just seems that Muslim threats, terrorism and behaviour problems appear more on news than any Christian terrorism, Breiviks aside.
    I'm not even going to get in to the fact that there have been far, far more middle eastern civilians wiped out by the UK and US forces than 9.11 ever did, I just wanted to point out that the Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep thing NEVER HAPPENED. There was an alternate version used in one primary school, one time, because they were learning about colours of the rainbow.

Sorry. Just really annoys me when people use that reference...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    why do mainstream comedians, politically correct commentators and prominent atheists etc always seem to poke fun at christians but never muslims?

edit:

i was looking for examples of anti christian 'comedy' when i came across this from the show 'curb your enthusiasm' -- this isn't actually comedy, its pure and unadulterated hatred.

larry david, who is jewish, urinates on a picture of jesus in the house of devout christians. then the devout christians see the urine on the picture and think the picture is weeping and they believe that a miracle had happened.

( this clip is so shocking it probably deserves another discussion about the issue of jewish supremacism in hollywood and anti christian hatred in the media. )

I was going to disagree with you, but I did find that clip deeply distateful despite attempts to try and mask the vindictiveness of the actor by pretending it was an accident... I disagree with religions inventing sacredness to make themselves immune to criticism, but the actions of that jew was beyond bad taste.

It'd be distateful if someone urinated on an image of mohammed, regardless of theological differences. Very surprised he got away with it in America.

Neither religion should be untouchable, but the actions of Larry David was beyond the pale whether applied to islam or christianity.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    To my knowledge it is permissable to kill someone insulting the Prophet (from the Hadiths) because of a couple of stories about how women who were insulting him were murdered (by other men), and Muhammad said there was no recompense to be paid, or something like that.

I could be wrong, but these verses could be taken that way
    I can't really answer this question because I barely have any knowledge on this topic. I've read the hadiths you've mentioned and you're (could be) probably right. Plus the issue is sensitive with Muslims so no one can actually clarify for me. If anything however, the hadiths show that blasphemy of any nature is not a light issue.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lol everyones sooo aggressive...true chridtians here wud turn thy other cheek...and true muslims wud choose the forgiveness instead of revenge.
    Ok so no, christians dont go crashing into skyscrapers and bombing london. What they DODO is murdering FIFTEEN THOUSAND AND COUNTING INNOCENT WOMAN, CHILDREN ETC for the crimes of an rxtreme minority who crashed into the world trade centre , using thr name of üslam when they had no right to since killing any human is a sin inslam, let alone THREE THOUSAND AMERICAN AND OTHER NATIONALITY CIVILIAND. So. Get the whole picture instead of the hatred fuelled, uneducated , narrow minded, pliebian one.
    Oh, what you say, US was doing it as revenge? Correct mr if im wrong, but revenge is supposed to be on the committer ( thts prob not a word lol) of the crime....not athousands of people who believe in the peaceful and true version of islam that the mefia never shows and islamophobic blocjheads like some up there guzzle by the mouthful. And yeah, tht norwegian guy WAS a christian terrorist, just like hitler WAS a christian and murdered jews in the name if christianity but noone says that brcause media is so biased- both sides of media. Ugh dont mind the typos my keyboard is playing up lol.
    And despite all that, do you see ME saying christians are all trigger happy, ivading, butchering terrorising morons? Nopr, I dont stereotype,and at the endof the day, nost christians etc I met are awesome and law abiding, and it matters who YOU are as a person, how olerant you are of other peoples faiths and beliefs, ehich I cannot say much for most on this thread, and I personally would stand up for anyone, whatever religion or belief.
    People like that r ehat the world go round smoother, people like you, tho I wont judge, mabe you had a bad day or you hav had bad experiences, are ehat makw it grind itself to a sludgy death. :-)
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I poke fun at religions indiscriminately.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because Muslims blow up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    I can't really answer this question because I barely have any knowledge on this topic. I've read the hadiths you've mentioned and you're (could be) probably right. Plus the issue is sensitive with Muslims so no one can actually clarify for me. If anything however, the hadiths show that blasphemy of any nature is not a light issue.
    Lol ill clarify , nithing sensitive about it. You DO knoe that about forty % of the hadith today are actually falsr, sincr sooooo many were made and changed anf twisted over the centuries, and because a LOT of these false ones actually are beneficial for like extremists in furthering their cause, they dont eradicate them, and the mullahs, or clerics you can call them, well many of them feel it benefits them as wll since they live in and make profit in countries where people are uneducated bacause of greedy governments and dont. Know any better. So you cant always trust hadith, especially these violent ones, chances are its another one born into existence over the centuries. But if u told me the EXACT hadith, so thetre is some substance for ehat your saying, I could prob find out for you, cuz im curious now too an I dont kno many hadith, but I do know circumstanes etc an how they should be.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you in most cases. I don't know they're more up tight and serious about it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i think part of it is that many of the people poking fun at christians were brought up as christians... taking the p out of yourself is always more acceptable than making fun of others...
    x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Hana.x)
    Lol everyones sooo aggressive...true chridtians here wud turn thy other cheek...and true muslims wud choose the forgiveness instead of revenge.
    Ok so no, christians dont go crashing into skyscrapers and bombing london. What they DODO is murdering FIFTEEN THOUSAND AND COUNTING INNOCENT WOMAN, CHILDREN ETC for the crimes of an rxtreme minority who crashed into the world trade centre , using thr name of üslam when they had no right to since killing any human is a sin inslam, let alone THREE THOUSAND AMERICAN AND OTHER NATIONALITY CIVILIAND. So. Get the whole picture instead of the hatred fuelled, uneducated , narrow minded, pliebian one.
    Oh, what you say, US was doing it as revenge? Correct mr if im wrong, but revenge is supposed to be on the committer ( thts prob not a word lol) of the crime....not athousands of people who believe in the peaceful and true version of islam that the mefia never shows and islamophobic blocjheads like some up there guzzle by the mouthful. And yeah, tht norwegian guy WAS a christian terrorist, just like hitler WAS a christian and murdered jews in the name if christianity but noone says that brcause media is so biased- both sides of media. Ugh dont mind the typos my keyboard is playing up lol.
    And despite all that, do you see ME saying christians are all trigger happy, ivading, butchering terrorising morons? Nopr, I dont stereotype,and at the endof the day, nost christians etc I met are awesome and law abiding, and it matters who YOU are as a person, how olerant you are of other peoples faiths and beliefs, ehich I cannot say much for most on this thread, and I personally would stand up for anyone, whatever religion or belief.
    People like that r ehat the world go round smoother, people like you, tho I wont judge, mabe you had a bad day or you hav had bad experiences, are ehat makw it grind itself to a sludgy death. :-)

The awkward moment when Hitler was actualyl Jewish.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siiba)
    I am a Muslim and I don't think that it is acceptable to poke fun at any religion or belief... At the end of the day half the things comedians say are just to make people laugh, don't take it seriously.
    And why should everyone else have to abide by your world view?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP1989)
    Because Muslims blow up.
    As inarrowminded and stereotypical that is, its actually quite LMFAOable.
    Whatdyaknow, im a muslim an I never blew up, jaaysus :-P o :-o
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Hana.x)
    Lol ill clarify , nithing sensitive about it. You DO knoe that about forty % of the hadith today are actually falsr, sincr sooooo many were made and changed anf twisted over the centuries, and because a LOT of these false ones actually are beneficial for like extremists in furthering their cause, they dont eradicate them, and the mullahs, or clerics you can call them, well many of them feel it benefits them as wll since they live in and make profit in countries where people are uneducated bacause of greedy governments and dont. Know any better. So you cant always trust hadith, especially these violent ones, chances are its another one born into existence over the centuries. But if u told me the EXACT hadith, so thetre is some substance for ehat your saying, I could prob find out for you, cuz im curious now too an I dont kno many hadith, but I do know circumstanes etc an how they should be.
    "A blind man had a slave-mother who used to abuse the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and disparage him. He forbade her but she did not stop. He rebuked her but she did not give up her habit. One night she began to slander the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and abuse him. So he took a dagger, placed it on her belly, pressed it, and killed her. A child who came between her legs was smeared with the blood that was there.
    ...He sat before the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Apostle of Allah! I am her master; she used to abuse you and disparage you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not abandon her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was my companion. Last night she began to abuse and disparage you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her. Thereupon the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Oh be witness, no retaliation is payable for her blood. "

"Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib: A Jewess used to abuse the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and disparage him. A man strangled her till she died. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) declared that no recompense was payable for her blood. "

Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 38, 4348 + 4349/

Just out of interest, are you a Sunni Muslim?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    You would not believe how much he goes on about Christianity in his manifesto. Have you read it?

He goes on a lot about culture rather than belief. He's not a fundie, but his extremism stems from his label of 'Christian'. In Scandinavian countries, there's a culture difference in that many people are 'cultural christians'. It may well be that Breivik is an atheist Christian. But he did describe himself as having gone from agnostic to religious, so I'd suggest not?

He speaks about Dawkins with bitterness

And says

However:

So, in conclusion.

He doesn't necessarily believe in the things, but he considers himself Christian, focuses his life and morality on Christian values and would pray to the Christian God.
    I flicked through at the time he seemed more interested in the values rather than the religion and I'm sure he said he was an athiest in there somewhere. Although he contradicted himself loads mainly because he just copy pasted most of it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    EDIT: Many of you have pointed out, correctly, that Breiviks is a Christian and not a Muslim, does that mean all Christians or Norwegians will go round shooting random people? If not, why should Muslims all be branded with the same iron?

Well, there are extreme cases in both Christianity and Islam. OK, so Breiviks is a Christian. But then, he is an extreme case. So are the Muslims who carried out 9/11 and 7/7. Nowhere do I state that all Muslims are evil, as I am sure that they are not.

However, there seem to be more cases of Islam extreme than Christian extreme. Correct me if I am wrong, but are the Taliban not Muslims?!?! And are they not extremes?!?!?! It just seems that Muslim threats, terrorism and behaviour problems appear more on news than any Christian terrorism, Breiviks aside.
    Extremism occurs on both sides. the IRA comes to mind...

Your argument is as flawed as the BNP's policies.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannaaahlima)
    God hasn't sent humanity any religion...religion was invented by human kind in order to explain phenomenons that could not be explained in the past. People like mohammed only knew how to take advantage of people's ignorance.
    Why would he take advantage? For money? He was not rich when he died, he lived a humble lifestyle..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.