Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK ISPs ordered to block The Pirate Bay

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Technology has progressed to the point over the last 10 years where music is now an indivisible good, similar to street lighting.

As everyone knows, the equilibrium price for indivisible goods on the free market is equal to their marginal cost of £0.00. This is the allocatively efficient solution, any deviation away from this price is damaging to the public good. This is not theft, its social justice and the free market in action.

Music companies need to realise that recorded music is no longer a good or service that they can make money off via direct sales. They're fighting helplessly against the tide of progress. An album is simply a commercial to attract people to come to a gig or festival.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every 700mb .avi is essentially a string of 1s and 0s on your computer.

You can't like own 1s and 0s man, its mother nature.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshymarsh)
    Every 700mb .avi is essentially a string of 1s and 0s on your computer.

You can't like own 1s and 0s man, its mother nature.
    Generally agree with the arguments why piracy is necessary, but this was a bit ridiculous. Numbers are not part of nature, and even if they were, your statement suggests that anything plastic/metallic/wooden can't be "owned" because they originate from nature - that's just ridiculous.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    crap I know loads of wealthy people who do this.

It's theft because regardless of whether or not the person illegally downloading the believes it harms the company, the company which owns the song has not given permission for this to be done. Borrowing things without permission and returning them undamaged later is still theft even though it may not have caused harm.
    Theft is taking a physical object.
    Downloading something does not involve a physical object, thus it is not theft.
    it is copyright infringement.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Website was down yday, but now back yay!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One falls, another rises.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Stop bitching, make DVD's/CD's etc sensibly priced and then people might actually buy it.

As it is, I'm not paying £10 for an album where about £2 will actually go to the artist and the rest to ****ing record companies and all those soulless, suckers of satans cock that work for them.
    Thing is, when artists ask for direct cash or donations on their site, they get **** all as well. :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sky Broadband has blocked it as of today.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ISPs have only blocked access to the domain name, YOU CAN STILL GET ON IT WITH A PROXY!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can still go without proxy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me how the movie industry justifies releasing blu rays/re releases of films that have already been made and charging the same price as when it first came out? They didn't re film the movie in HD, they didn't re record the movie with high definition microphones. A small team of people sat down, converted the movie from the original master tapes/files, and hit the "burn" button. It's laughable. Also, its hilarious how the TV industry haven't realised that releasing/broadcasting shows almost a year behind the US is not acceptable and people aren't putting up with it anymore.

And the music labels have finally realised that they are a redundant and a worthless industry now. They used to be a connection to promoters, CD manufacturers and recording studios. Now anyone can pretty much contact people with these services themselves using the internet. It's not just the fact people can download their stuff for free, it's that the artists don't even need them anymore now either. Take a look at a site like www.bandcamp.com. That's selling music done right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tekk)
    The ISPs have only blocked access to the domain name, YOU CAN STILL GET ON IT WITH A PROXY!
    dropping knowledge on your first post, thats whats up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm about, saw a window of opportunity and I seized it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how the hell is it blocked? I just got like 5 torrents of it...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, O2 has blocked it at some point in the last few weeks when I was at home. How on earth will I be able to get torrents now that tpb is blocked? </sarcasm>
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanveer2k12)
    how the hell is it blocked? I just got like 5 torrents of it...
    Some ISPs have blocked it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    P.S. You can use 'Stealthy' add-on for firefox or chrome to download the torrent through a proxy

.. Disclaimer: I am not advocating the download of illegal torrents (ones that contain copywrighted material) etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this doesn't affect me, it doesnt seem that the boneheads over at talktalk, virgin or BT know what a proxy server is..

These things just can't be regulated, close one down and a mirror will open or alternatives found, and it doesnt look like the government can keep tabs on IPs, especially when people like me are behind seven proxies...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcticRed)
    this doesn't affect me, it doesnt seem that the boneheads over at talktalk, virgin or BT know what a proxy server is..
    Or maybe more a case of they've done what the courts have told them to do. If they've been to do something that's trivial for you to bypass they probably don't care.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still have it, as I'm with BT, and I use it occasionally, albeit with a sense of guilt, for music.

However if I find an artist that I really like, I will buy the album out of common decency. I just don't see the point of buying a song when, as I do, you'll only like it/listen to it for a week or so.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.