Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK ISPs ordered to block The Pirate Bay

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisu)
    Why should they be forced to employ more people? Again, this is like a massive shop where some users sell questionable items. There's a scarce of employees and time hence it's not their fault if they don't get through most of the reports, especially when it's as large pirate bay where we are talking thousands of files being uploaded per hour. Their revenue won't be able to accommodate that heavy task. They may not be the most cooperative organization but who cares as long as they're being legal. Some people speak to the police straight away, some people hire lawyers and delay that **** for as long as they possibly can. But, both are legal. As long as they've shown willingness to comply within the context of their manpower/number of files uploaded, I don't really think there's much compelling reason to shut them down.
    Manufacturers must employ people to check their goods to make sure they are safe and in accordance with the weights and measures shown on the packet or else they are breaking the law. If being legal puts pirate bay out of business that's their problem.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good bye ThePirateBay.**

Hello ThePiratesBay.**
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it keeps them happy. Thank fully no-ones told the high court that there are other bittorrent sites.

However I see that BT hasn't been ordered to do the same. :eyebrow:

<3 x
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Wait, not BT?
    Plusnet isn't on the list either.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Totally agree.

Earning a fair bob for your work is one thing, being greedy is another. Mind you the labels don't help themselves by taking a massive chunk of the profit for the most-part. I don't think Artists are totally to blame.
    Labels aren't 1 person, they're multiple of people (with multiple skills) that use multiple of resources, all these costs money so of course they're going to take a reasonably big chunk. Some might be paid multiple millions but that's only because their worth multiple millions akin to top footballers, money is a powerful incentive.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    When are record companies going to realise that albums are just gig adverts and have been for years now?
    Exactly.

The real money is made in the concerts/gigs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    Manufacturers must employ people to check their goods to make sure they are safe and in accordance with the weights and measures shown on the packet or else they are breaking the law. If being legal puts pirate bay out of business that's their problem.
    Yes and piratebay does that however when you've got tens of thousands of files per hour to go through and make around a million, it's unfair to expect you to go through all of them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Blocking The Pirate Bay is like blocking a river with a single stone. You can't stop the free flow. Industry, adapt or die, no victory here.
    Yeh they need to become like Steam and Gabe Newell.

He recognises that you can't beat/block piracy, you have to offer a better service than it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisu)
    Labels aren't 1 person, they're multiple of people (with multiple skills) that use multiple of resources, all these costs money so of course they're going to take a reasonably big chunk.
    Of course they would take a "chunk", but they're taking far too much imo.

At the end of the day, the label wouldn't have any music to sell if it wasn't for the Artist. The said Artist would then tour the world in concerts and the like, further promoting the song(s), and, thus the label would gain more publicity = more revenue.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The picture is garbage because as soon as you can downloads a song or movie for free it becomes worthless to the person who made it to make profit.

Well you're not going to buy something you can dowload for free, record companies don't copyright their music for their health.

If you don't like what a company is asking you to pay, don't buy it, if enough people agree with you they'll get the message.
    But devaluation, like piracy, isnt stealing. You said it was stealing...

By that logic, nobody would buy a newspaper, magazine or science book ever again - because all of that information is free online.

That's the problem - according to them enough people aren't buying their product. They seem to think people are pirating it instead of buying it 'because they can'. If the prices were reasonable, people would just buy it! I mean there would always be a small crowd of people that refuse to pay anything - but the majority of pirates are simply a result of the industry not adapting!

The problem exists with TV (catchup services are extremely limited in what they support), Movies (There's no HD online movie catalogue with all the movies, let alone a well priced one) and Games (40+ Quid, for a game? Most of them are full of bugs and the campaigns only last a week!).

The content providers just simply don't compete on any level with the features that the file sharing sites provide. Not even on download speed!

(Original post by thetobbit)
    Yeh they need to become like Steam and Gabe Newell.

He recognises that you can't beat/block piracy, you have to offer a better service than it.
    Exactly, though whether steam does offer a better service than piracy is debatable...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blogs > torrents anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisu)
    Yes and piratebay does that however when you've got tens of thousands of files per hour to go through and make around a million, it's unfair to expect you to go through all of them.
    They are just a bunch of hypocrites justifying what they do because it's only rich people who suffer. Their business is hugely profitable but they refuse to create jobs in case it stings their pockets, their quality control has to be adequate.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksonliam)

By that logic, nobody would buy a newspaper, magazine or science book ever again - because all of that information is free online.

That's the problem - according to them enough people aren't buying their product. They seem to think people are pirating it instead of buying it 'because they can'. If the prices were reasonable, people would just buy it! I mean there would always be a small crowd of people that refuse to pay anything - but the majority of pirates are simply a result of the industry not adapting!

The problem exists with TV (catchup services are extremely limited in what they support), Movies (There's no HD online movie catalogue with all the movies, let alone a well priced one) and Games (40+ Quid, for a game? Most of them are full of bugs and the campaigns only last a week!).

The content providers just simply don't compete on any level with the features that the file sharing sites provide. Not even on download speed!

Exactly, though whether steam does offer a better service than piracy is debatable...
    Mm, at least Valve is trying

my point is Steam offers people who are willing to pay money for their games more decent deals money-wise --> they are less likely to turn to piracy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Wait, not BT?
    An update on the article said, "A sixth ISP, BT, requested "a few more weeks" to consider their position on blocking the site."
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see a need for record companies at all.

You just have the artist and their manager.

They start off with local gigs.

If they get a bit of buzz, they get a bit of play on local and niche music radio stations, and release their music free to download.

They start to get a fanbase, they go on a small national tour and get an airing on national radio stations. People start downloading their album.

They now get a bigger fanbase, go on a bigger tour, release a new album, etc etc.

The radio play is paid for by advertising, and the band are paid for by the gigs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    However I see that BT hasn't been ordered to do the same. :eyebrow:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Plusnet isn't on the list either.
    BT is thinking about their position and plusnet _IS_ BT.

They are just a bunch of hypocrites justifying what they do because it's only rich people who suffer. Their business is hugely profitable but they refuse to create jobs in case it stings their pockets, their quality control has to be adequate.
    You're forgetting that piratebay don't manufacture the files, they don't even have access to the files! They have a NAME that the user provided and something pointing to somewhere people might get bits of a file.

Its not like youtube where they can scan every single upload... Do you think torrents that even have the NAME of something like a song or a movie should be deleted? What about "My thoughts on Lady Gaga - Edge of Glory.docx". Should my video titled "Titanic" come down from youtube? Its not a simple as checking every file, especially as the pirate bay dont even have the file!

(Original post by thetobbit)
    Mm, at least Valve is trying
    my point is Steam offers people who are willing to pay money for their games more decent deals money-wise --> they are less likely to turn to piracy
    And its a very good point, I agree entirely! New games are still far too expensive, but Steams deals on 2 year old games are fantastic!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Of course they would take a "chunk", but they're taking far too much imo.

At the end of the day, the label wouldn't have any music to sell if it wasn't for the Artist. The said Artist would then tour the world in concerts and the like, further promoting the song(s), and, thus the label would gain more publicity = more revenue.
    Wrong. You do realize that for the majority of top selling artists, they don't write their music on their own? There will be multiple different people (including the artists although not always). The equipment (for the song recording, video, concerts etc) the artists uses gets hooked up by the label. The promotion of the artists is again down to the label. Artists are conveyers like actors they aren't much without directors, screenwriters etc etc.

How on earth can you come to the conclusion that they're being paid too much? Have you estimated the price of the equipment? The price for promotion? The market price for ghost writers? The market price for the executives? You probably haven't so don't make presumptions unscientific statements like that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

stealing-

1.Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it: "thieves stole her bicycle".
    2.Dishonestly pass off (another person's ideas) as one's own: "accusations that one group had stolen ideas from the other were soon flying".

Looks like it is, the thing no longer being in the possession of the person from which it was stolen matters not.

With science books the presentation matters, so does the arrangement of the information and the what information is included, I buy CGP for revision rather than using wiki because it includes only what I need to know.

If you don't like what's being offered don't buy it, are you 8 years old? Do you walk into shops and refuse to pay for something because you imagined it being better but still take it anyway?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Its not like youtube where they can scan every single upload... Do you think torrents that even have the NAME of something like a song or a movie should be deleted? What about "My thoughts on Lady Gaga - Edge of Glory.docx". Should my video titled "Titanic" come down from youtube? Its not a simple as checking every file, especially as the pirate bay dont even have the file!
    They should be shut down for aiding criminal activity on an industrial scale then, the name says it all really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is it so bad that companies are preventing people taking for free and without their permsission, what they have made (aka stealing)? :K:
    I don't think that is bad at all... I'm quite strongly against the idea of people censoring internet use, I see it as a human right infringment!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.