Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK ISPs ordered to block The Pirate Bay

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering where all the discussion about VPNs have gone. There are legitimate uses for VPN's...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    It works for me but I don't use it (I use others trollface.jpeg).
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    It took me <5 seconds on Google to find a whole bunch of sites that get around this block. :lol:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    It took me <5 seconds on Google to find a whole bunch of sites that get around this block. :lol:
    Or if you still want to use Piratebay you can just hop onto any proxy server or Tor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about copyright laws.
    If i went to a country that doesnt have a tight regulation on copyright like in china or somewhere in africa or south america,
    then i downloaded a bunch of things there and come back to the Uk, will i be breaking the law?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BonjournoDeano)
    I have a question about copyright laws.
    If i went to a country that doesnt have a tight regulation on copyright like in china or somewhere in africa or south america,
    then i downloaded a bunch of things there and come back to the Uk, will i be breaking the law?
    Well that's in the same boat as buying drugs from another country then bringing them over here, so probs illegal, not 100%
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A new site will eventually replace it just like those that have been shut down in the past (eg. Mininova). However its annoying that we have to wait for another site to get big.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a VM customer and it's been pretty easy to work around. They did it because they were handed a court order, but hell, hasn't made my life any harder.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pffft like to see them try, even if they did ban it just use a work around like Tor or the like
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazmatron)
    A new site will eventually replace it just like those that have been shut down in the past (eg. Mininova). However its annoying that we have to wait for another site to get big.
    The site still exists though and it takes about 10 seconds to access it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    If VM had any vested interest in blocking TPB they could easily actively block every new proxy site that arises.

VM have been fighting for internet freedom the whole time, they don't want to block anything or restrict access to this stuff. I think a lot of people have forgotten this and have been directing hate towards VM instead of the BPI et al.
    Yeah, I think the fact that a workaround was easy would have been a factor in why they didn't resist too much.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Well.. that and the fact they were ordered to by a court
    They could have fought it/dragged their feet.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Stop bitching, make DVD's/CD's etc sensibly priced and then people might actually buy it.

As it is, I'm not paying £10 for an album where about £2 will actually go to the artist and the rest to ****ing record companies and all those soulless, suckers of satans cock that work for them.
    I couldn't have put it any better!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still works for me and I don't even need to use a proxy or do anything special. Guess this ban just applies to the major internet providers?

Anyway even if it was the case, no biggy. These dinosaurs will never control the free flow of information. These are the desperate actions of a collapsing house of cards. Hopefully soon we can cut out the middleman altogether.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    That's for the artist to decide not you.
    What you're repeatedly failing to see in every comment directed at you is that people are implying that they cannot afford to buy music at it's current price, and as such the choice isn't:

Pay for it or download it illegally.

It's:

Download it illegally or don't get it at all.

I know, by means of analogy, you'll reason that you can't go into a shop and say "I can't afford this sweet so either I don't have it or I steal it" but it is what it is. Downloading an .mp3 is different than walking into a shop and stealing a hard-copy of a cd for the aforementioned reasons. They have already paid their over-heads and whether I download an album, or 100 people download it - they're not making a loss as I can assure you I wouldn't pay for it anyway.

Besides, there are certain bands (both up-and-coming and well established) that I'll download illegally just to get my hands on it early then pay for it anyway when it comes out. Luckily for me I can have my cake and eat it too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odkfn)
    What you're repeatedly failing to see in every comment directed at you is that people are implying that they cannot afford to buy music at it's current price, and as such the choice isn't:

Pay for it or download it illegally.

It's:

Download it illegally or don't get it at all.

I know, by means of analogy, you'll reason that you can't go into a shop and say "I can't afford this sweet so either I don't have it or I steal it" but it is what it is. Downloading an .mp3 is different than walking into a shop and stealing a hard-copy of a cd for the aforementioned reasons. They have already paid their over-heads and whether I download an album, or 100 people download it - they're not making a loss as I can assure you I wouldn't pay for it anyway.

Besides, there are certain bands (both up-and-coming and well established) that I'll download illegally just to get my hands on it early then pay for it anyway when it comes out. Luckily for me I can have my cake and eat it too.
    crap I know loads of wealthy people who do this.

It's theft because regardless of whether or not the person illegally downloading the believes it harms the company, the company which owns the song has not given permission for this to be done. Borrowing things without permission and returning them undamaged later is still theft even though it may not have caused harm.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    crap I know loads of wealthy people who do this.

It's theft because regardless of whether or not the person illegally downloading the believes it harms the company, the company which owns the song has not given permission for this to be done. Borrowing things without permission and returning them undamaged later is still theft even though it may not have caused harm.
    Well, Sir, I disagree.

If you had a magic vending machine that produced unlimited...carrots..and I wanted a carrot and you weren't around - if I took one - would it harm you?

Given you had paid for the vending machine, and you sold neatly wrapped carrots at the market (which cost money to wrap and to display on shelves etc) then maybe I'd feel bad, but straight out of your machine, an intangible asset, would I feel bad - no.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odkfn)
    Well, Sir, I disagree.

If you had a magic vending machine that produced unlimited...carrots..and I wanted a carrot and you weren't around - if I took one - would it harm you?

Given you had paid for the vending machine, and you sold neatly wrapped carrots at the market (which cost money to wrap and to display on shelves etc) then maybe I'd feel bad, but straight out of your machine, an intangible asset, would I feel bad - no.
    Well done for calling me sir :cool:

If carrot selling was my livelihood and you get one for free why shouldn't eveyone, then bam my livelihoods gone

The people who made the films spent money doing so which is why they have right to say who gets thefilm and on what conditions.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

If carrot selling was my livelihood and you get one for free why shouldn't eveyone, then bam my livelihoods gone

The people who made the films spent money doing so which is why they have right to say who gets thefilm and on what conditions.
    Well, this is true, but I'm not looking at it from the point of society, I'm purely in it for me here.

In keeping with the carrot analogy, if I was hungry and happened to be walking past your vending machine, but also had food in my cupboards at home, if you were guarding the vending machine or trying to sell me a carrot I could easily go without one, but if you werent there and free carrots were up for grabs I might just take one.

Equally I'd never walk into a shop and put a CD in my jacket and walk out, but I would download a song. That being said I go to a LOT of live gigs.

Justifying my behaviour aside - I'm a pikey. If an individual band put out a plea "we literally cannot afford to be a band unless you buy our music from this source" then I would pay definitely, but where metallica close down napster and whine that they only make tens of millions off music sales, then no. They can cry themselves to sleep on their silk bed sheets.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Also, I'm in a band with our album on iTunes and I can honestly say that if I could either sell 100 copies, or have 10,000 people pirate it (thats probably about the ratio of legal purchases to piracy), I'd DEFINITELY choose the latter.

I know it's all relative but recording the songs, buying equipment and getting photos for the cover, etc, cost me, personally, in excess of £1000. Even selling our EP (6 tracks) on iTunes for £5.95 see's us get £4(ish) per sale. My band don't make music for album sales - it's for touring and the fun that comes with it.

That's all conjecture, though...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.