Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2 Questions about islam - no this isnt a racist post

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1 - Pork is forbidden in Islam, because they are "impure" and "filthy". Why is this, when pigs are actually the cleanest of animals, because they excrete in the same spot and clean themselves. The only reason they role around in mud is to protect their skin against the sun. If they were to ban filthy animals, surely rats, pigeons and dung beetles would be more suitable, no?

2 - In Islam a man is allowed four wives, but not a woman is not allowed four husbands. I understand this is because after a battle, the man to woman ratios was 1:4. However, the ratio has been restored, so why has this not changed?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    1 - Pork is forbidden in Islam, because they are "impure" and "filthy". Why is this, when pigs are actually the cleanest of animals, because they excrete in the same spot and clean themselves. The only reason they role around in mud is to protect their skin against the sun. If they were to ban filthy animals, surely rats, pigeons and dung beetles would be more suitable, no?
    Contrary to common rhetoric, Muslims ARE allowed to eat pork under certain circumstances, like if there is nothing to eat and a person is starving etc.

However, it has also been scientifically proven that various food which have originated in pigs can cause a person to be unhealthy and may potentially severely increase the risk of cancer.

2 - In Islam a man is allowed four wives, but not a woman is not allowed four husbands. I understand this is because after a battle, the man to woman ratios was 1:4. However, the ratio has been restored, so why has this not changed?
    A man in Islam can only have 4 wives IF he treats them all equally. If you then look at the statistics, you'll see that the number of females compared to males being born more is considerably higher and the fact is that they also live longer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squishy123)
    Contrary to common rhetoric, Muslims ARE allowed to eat pork under certain circumstances, like if there is nothing to eat and a person is starving etc.

But it still makes no sense they are not allowed to eat it under normal circumstances, when they are in fact much cleaner than most other animals that are allowed in islam

However, it has also been scientifically proven that various food which have originated in pigs can cause a person to be unhealthy and may potentially severely increase the risk of cancer.

But many, many foods can be unhealthy to us. It is already proven that eating red meat like beef drastically increases the risk of stomach cancer

A man in Islam can only have 4 wives IF he treats them all equally. If you then look at the statistics, you'll see that the number of females compared to males being born more is considerably higher and the fact is that they also live longer.

But there are more men than women. And anyway, it doesnt justify men having 4 wives because at the end of the day, there is pretty much a 50:50 ratio of men and women. Why is the 4 wives rule still applicable today, when the ratio is restored? Why cant women have 4 husbands?
    ^^^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Fraid I can't help you with the second bit, but I could try with the first. I believe (although I may be wrong) that some other sorts of animals are also banned, it is just pork that is the most well-known and commonly-eaten (by non-Muslims). As for why, I would guess their uncleanliness is something to do with the fact that pigs are traditionally fed on slurry and waste, and despite their decent hygiene, their diets leave something to be desired! Oh, and perhaps the fact that they like to roll around in mud, and that their own waste is extremely pungent (trust me, I live near a pig farm!).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    But it still makes no sense they are not allowed to eat it under normal circumstances, when they are in fact much cleaner than most other animals that are allowed in islam
    Pigs can harbour a range of parasites and diseases that can be transmitted to humans. These include trichinosis, Taenia solium, cysticercosis, and brucellosis. Pigs are also known to host large concentrations of parasitic ascarid worms in their digestive tract.

Pigs are susceptible to bronchitis and pneumonia. They have small lungs in relation to body size; for this reason, bronchitis or pneumonia can kill a pig quickly.[17] There is concern that pigs may allow animal viruses such as influenza or Ebola Reston to infect humans more easily. Some strains of influenza are endemic in pigs (see Swine influenza), and pigs also can acquire human influenza.

Pigs can be aggressive and pig-induced injuries are relatively common in areas where pigs are reared or where they form part of the wild or feral fauna.

But many, many foods can be unhealthy to us. It is already proven that eating red meat like beef drastically increases the risk of stomach cancer
    That's if you eat it on a continuing basis. However, if Muslims continue to eat red meat on an every day basis, they should take heed of the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law's advice: “‘Don’t make your stomach a grave yard of innocent birds and animals’” (Jabir 2001-2005). This saying of the Prophet depicts how in Islam, one is supposed to lead a balanced life. One should not overly eat meat (i.e., kill animals in an exuberant amount) but one is certainly allowed to consume them.

Therefore, Islam allows Muslims to eat red meat but not on a continual or habitual basis. "The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) reportedly said that one who does not eat meat for forty consecutive days will waste away, whereas to eat meat for forty consecutive days will harden the heart. In other words, one should moderate the intake of meat."

But there are more men than women. And anyway, it doesnt justify men having 4 wives because at the end of the day, there is pretty much a 50:50 ratio of men and women. Why is the 4 wives rule still applicable today, when the ratio is restored? Why cant women have 4 husbands?
    But a Muslim man can ONLY have 4 wives if he treats them EQUALLY. No man in the world can ever do that so this really is like a barrier.

Further, more men die due to accidents and diseases than women and the average life span of females is more than that of males as one finds more widows than widowers in the world.

Additionally, it also comes down to the factor that females may need to go out to work to earn their sustenance which really should be provided by their male relatives. However, to stop females from becoming "public property" or the "town's bicycles", it is practical for her to seek a husband in order that he can provide for her and protect her.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    However, to stop females from becoming "public property" or the "town's bicycles", it is practical for her to seek a husband in order that he can provide for her and protect her.
    Some women are capable of not being promiscuous and looking after themselves, thank you.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

so why not ban muslims eating anything which raises risk of cancer, why single out pork
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:

1.Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol, an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation, when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are difficult to treat.

‎ Eating pork leads to scabies, allergies and stomach ulcers.

‎ Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and microbial infections of the lungs

http://themuslimvoice.wordpress.com/...raam-in-islam/

2. If you read carefully, you are allowed to , but it's not encourage and it comes with strict condition to have such. Other issues are in regards with having children, who the father would be , etc.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another point for the four wives thing: A man can impregnate four women at once to conceive more Muslims, whereas a woman with four husbands will still only conceive one baby Muslim.
    Can I clarify that there is absolutely no evidence for this, it's just something logical I thought of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMO the four wives rule shouldn't exist in today's time.

There are two historic reasons behind it as far as I'm aware.
    1- Back in those days, men went to battle. Lots of them died. That skewed the population ratio to 4 : 1

2- A hadeeth says "In taadelo wa lan taadelo" which means "you may only have 4 if you treat them all equally but there's doubt that someone would be able to treat more than one person equally". This was a massive improvement from pre-islamic eras where a man could have as many wives as he wanted.

As for pig, bacon is delicious. I don't fully understand the reason behind why it's not allowed thus I don't mind eating it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Muslims don't eat pork as in Asia and the Middle East, pigs generally eat garbage and live in garbage, therefore, they are viewed as unclean animals. The health risks associated may also be additional factors. As for the 'ratios', I don't know enough to comment.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. I read somewhere that Muhammed saw pigs eat their own excretion thats why it's forbidden. I think. Don't bash me on it, it's just a thought.
    2. It's said that a man can marry 4 wives for sustainability, because there the Qu'ran predicted there will be more women than men. Oh, and because it leaves less women unmarried, and because it controls mens sexual desires because 'men are designed to look towards more than one partner'! Don't bash me, this is from memory and hearing and reading things!
    Although, I've never met a polygomous muslim man.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    1. I read somewhere that Muhammed saw pigs eat their own excretion thats why it's forbidden. I think. Don't bash me on it, it's just a thought.
    2. It's said that a man can marry 4 wives for sustainability, because there the Qu'ran predicted there will be more women than men. Oh, and because it leaves less women unmarried, and because it controls mens sexual desires because 'men are designed to look towards more than one partner'! Don't bash me, this is from memory and hearing and reading things!
    Although, I've never met a polygomous muslim man.
    One who revealed they were polygamous, that should be.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Some women are capable of not being promiscuous and looking after themselves, thank you.
    I understand. But I was just making the point that there are other options if they wanted a life in which they would not have to work.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally support the four wives rule, as an atheist. :borat:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dongonaeatu)
    so why not ban muslims eating anything which raises risk of cancer, why single out pork
    What other foods should Islam have prohibited?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Okay now remember; the times are 600ad. Warm climate in Mecca and vicinity, no medical knowledge, various diseases etc - pigs are a common source of food, yet people appear to die after ingesting pigs for various reasons, remember again, no refrigerators therefore meat is constantly in scorching high temperatures... Whats the easiest way to stop people from consuming and thus dying? You tell them it's forbidden, and they'll listen... Sure now it's different, now you don't get the bacterial, viral or fungal infections associated with pigs, though over time pork/islam associated has proved a strong bond and as a result people won't question this.

Again, remember 600ad, various wars, deaths, the population is massively inclined towards females since all able men are soldiers - you gotta think in terms of them and their environments, it's not as if one had school to go to, or go HMV for that latest PS3 game. Since females have always been second best (even now in the middle east) guys have always had to care for them, this notion was even true up until 50 years ago in the west, since for instance there were 5/6/7 women for every 1 guy, the best way to get those women protected was to get married. Rape etc still existed back then, but knowing the woman was married would deter aforementioned criminals. You need to look at things objectively and beyond the scope of today, it could also be to increase population / create more soldiers. Stop being so naive and think of it like a 12 year old.

Hope that helps.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woman having four husbands is just illogical. Imagine if she got pregnant, they'd all have to wait 9 months and probably not end up knowing who's baby it even is.

Anyways, Polygamy has harsh conditions to be able to do it in Islam. That's why it's rare, I believe today it only constitutes around 2% of Islamic marriages, like Mormons probably practice polygamy more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Spoken like a true feminist. Sweet heart, it's 2012 - it's easy for you to say this now - back 500 years ago, hell 100 years ago, females were always second best, stop being so ignorant, thank you very much.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand. But I was just making the point that there are other options if they wanted a life in which they would not have to work.
    You said it was practical for a women to find a husband in order to not become the "village bike"?!

What other foods should Islam have prohibited?
    Doritos, burgers, chips, Krispy Kreme donuts, deep fried foods in general, things high in saturated fat, and almost everything in those restaurants you see on Man vs Food (not sure if you've ever watched it but the food in those places is horrendous)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.