Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many lessons have you taken before passing/so far?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take the risk... book your test... every motorist makes a mistake... can't avoid them... don't waste another £100 on lesson's...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have had 7 hours of lessons and my instructor wants me to book my test in a couple of weeks as there is an 8 week waiting list. I think I will have about 25 hours the rate that I am learning which I am pretty happy about. I thought I would be one of those takes forever people. Next week....roundabouts! Eckkk!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had about 70 lessons, spread fairly evenly over 2 instructors. Though, to be fair, about 20 of my lessons with my first instructor probably don't count since she was such a time waster!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm up to around 70-80 hours so far.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming the people who have had less than 10 lessons have had additional private practice because it is impossible to be taught everything within that amount of time and ace it all without practice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently 38 hours, the first 30 were with a crap instructor who didn't even each me the basics (I pretty much taught myself). So I'll say 8 hours of tuition so far! ;p That sounds better!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had 20 hours, including the hour for the test and the hour before the test.

Do not worry about how many hours you have had. Everyone learns at different rates and it can be influenced by the car you are learning in, the quality of the instructor and even just the relationship you have with the instructor.

Could you try the Practical DVD? I got the 'complete' set - it came with things for the hazard, the main theory and the practical test. The practical test one has lots of videos to help reinforce what you are doing in lessons. It might help by way of revision or just to keep things fresh in your mind between lessons.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not going to lie; I've probably had roughly 95 - 100 by now and I'm still not ready for my test. I'm seriously starting to think there is something wrong with me - and before anyone says anything, NO, my instructor is not a money-grabbing scoundrel.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyBrid)
    Not going to lie; I've probably had roughly 95 - 100 by now and I'm still not ready for my test. I'm seriously starting to think there is something wrong with me - and before anyone says anything, NO, my instructor is not a money-grabbing scoundrel.
    I understand. My instructor is wonderful, very patient, and desperate to get me to pass. I'd never believe he was a "money-grabbing scoundrel". Yet still I'm up to nearly 2 years learning with a 2h lesson almost every week. So many that I've lost count, but still not test ready

All my friends have passed now, most first or second time and in under 6 months with about 20-30 lessons maximum. Getting very demoralising.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    35-40 hours behind the wheel in total.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I passed with 50 hours worth of lessons, no private practice. I passed my test second time around after making a really stupid mistake in my first test!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i had about 70 no private practice though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It took me a long time to really get the hang of driving, it was about two years between starting my lessons and passing my test though I did have a big break last year because of exams. I'm just not a natural driver I guess.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuietOne)
    I understand. My instructor is wonderful, very patient, and desperate to get me to pass. I'd never believe he was a "money-grabbing scoundrel". Yet still I'm up to nearly 2 years learning with a 2h lesson almost every week. So many that I've lost count, but still not test ready

All my friends have passed now, most first or second time and in under 6 months with about 20-30 lessons maximum. Getting very demoralising.
    My ex passed within 6 months of starting his lessons, it was annoying because I'd started the year before he did and I was still not up to standard >.<
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've done about 17 lessons and still not ready.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    25 hours over a period of 6 months. Now im passed. but still 17, so cant get cheap insurance. and I had no private practice. I made stupid mistakes on my first test. but passed second time after 10 days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuietOne)

I totally understand - I've been learning for over two years now, too. I'm doing my test next month, though. It's probably partly because I haven't been able to drive between lessons at all, and partly because I've had so many different instructors! I honestly do believe that people like you and I can still turn out to be fantastic drivers, though. Just gotta stick at it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had 25 2 hour lessons >.< I did a mock test last time but I was awful haha.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had 24 hours of tuition and just about passed first time I was about 16 lessons in when he told me to book my test and I nearly wet myself as did my parents who didn't think I was ready but a few weeks later and I was good to go! I waited till I was 2 months from being 19 till I started learning but by having 2 lessons a week (gap year) was able to learn a bit quicker. It really depends on the person and often their confidence I have a friend who spent a year learning to drive and 2 years after passing is still nervous in the car. x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.