The Student Room Group

We graduated 2:1 from Bath 2 years ago and haven't gotten a single job offer since...

Scroll to see replies

The only way to go about it is doing a post-grad. A lot of people with Psychology BSc's struggle to find work. You need to go into Post-grad to get anything out of Psychology is seems.

And this has worried me a little bit because I know people studying Psychology at Bath :L. They want to do Post-grad though, which is settling!
Reply 101
Why do people assume that if they get a degree, that they're owed a well-paid job. - It's your job to persevere and use initiative to find a job. Look harder, build experience.
Original post by Freiheit
How can things go wrong with a degree in pharmacy or did he/she fail to secure a pre-reg place?

He got a pre reg place... His CV is pretty good aswell.. He has 2 years working in a pharmacy and 1 year volunteering at a charity shop.... He is blaming the fact that his uni was near the bottom of the pharmacy league table.... I think he went Portsmouth.
Why wouldn't you take the volunteer positions you're being offered? Got to be better than having nothing on your cv.
Original post by Medic1992
He got a pre reg place... His CV is pretty good aswell.. He has 2 years working in a pharmacy and 1 year volunteering at a charity shop.... He is blaming the fact that his uni was near the bottom of the pharmacy league table.... I think he went Portsmouth.

That's really disappointing. I think he should try and widen his options if he hasn't already and be prepared to relocate anywhere within the UK.
Original post by Freiheit
That's really disappointing. I think he should try and widen his options if he hasn't already and be prepared to relocate anywhere within the UK.

He has. He applied to places in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Notingham, Coventry. He has had a few interviews... He said to me that he thinks its more based on the degree class and where you got the degree from.
Perhaps you could set up a charity for unemployment related depression? Given that you are all unemployed and psychology graduates.
Reply 107
Original post by fuzznbass
There should be limits on this , the Uni's are making lots money out of them but not many will really get jobs. On the flip side I've heard History isn't good for jobs either but I'm not sure if lots of people study that.

a history degree has infinitely better job prospects than a psychology degree, just saying.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Well, there's your problem.

Is there really any point to saying this?
If someone isn't intelligent enough to do law/medicine/economics/engineering etc, what do you suggest they do? Leave school at 18 and go on the dole? I'd much rather they went to uni and learned something that will enrich them even if it doesn't necessarily enhance their job prospects (and a degree from a decent uni like Bath almost certainly does, you just have to broaden your horizons and consider a career outside psychology).

Original post by MagicNMedicine
As usual with TSR half the posters here are not interested in offering advice but want to make the OP feel bad about her choice of course.

At least she has not been sat on the dole but has been doing work.

A lot of graduates that have got good jobs, if they are honest with themselves, will acknowledge that they had a bit of luck somewhere along the process, it's easy to stand on your high horse and think that you succeeded because you worked so hard and were just so good, but there is not that much difference between those getting successful grad jobs and some of those that are stuck outside still plugging away.

Well said, pos repped :smile:
Original post by Lumos
a history degree has infinitely better job prospects than a psychology degree, just saying.

infinitely :rolleyes:
The problem is not just with psychology degrees the problem is widespread.

There are law, even economics graduates who still do not have jobs after graduation.

The statistics do not tell the full story because if someone got a minimum wage job they will be classed as employed but someone who does not have a degree education can also get that job.

OP are you looking for strictly psychology type jobs because there are graduate scheme jobs that do not ask for a specific degree . I have seen people who studied geography, sociology, history, english, law etc at Assessment centre for finance related graduate scheme.

But generally there are few jobs for so many graduates.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
You need to do a masters to get a job in Psychology. Even to get an assistant position you'll be up against a lot of people who have graduate degrees nowadays.

You are simply not qualified enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by Jimbo1234
.........but have you seen how few grad positions are now available to basic science and art students? :frown:
This country has a massive problem with a huge number of grads with very very few grad positions, but no one tells students this until it is far too late.

It doesn't matter is she did have good skills, there are thousands of other grads with more experience and better degrees than her. It is just a **** time to be looking for a job.

Rubbish sorry.
Everyone I know who has graduated law does not have a job, and these are people who have the experience, interview well, and got good results from good uni's.
I think Law is the new psychology for oversubscribed yet no jobs.

Good skills + good degree+ decent uni = job.

For OP - poor skills+ meh degree + ok-meh uni = no job
Original post by yothi5

If only it were that simple.
Original post by yothi5

Bath ok-meh? Where do you go?
Reply 115
Original post by original_username
If only it were that simple.

It is in certain industries - that's what the top 100 employers look for. Everyone I know has got a grad job, albeit going through some rejections first.
Reply 116
Original post by Productoflabour
Bath ok-meh? Where do you go?

Imperial:cool:
Bath is not a target uni for top employers.
Original post by yothi5
It is in certain industries - that's what the top 100 employers look for. Everyone I know has got a grad job, albeit going through some rejections first.

When you go to an assessment centre, everyone there has good skills, good degree, good uni but out of 12 none of them may get an offer.

So nah, not as simple as that.
Reply 118
Original post by original_username
When you go to an assessment centre, everyone there has good skills, good degree, good uni but out of 12 none of them may get an offer.

So nah, not as simple as that.

If you can't outshine other people with your skills, it means you are not good enough. One needs to be at the top. Perhaps I should rephrase my equation as:

Top skills + top degree+ top uni = (top) job
Original post by yothi5
Imperial:cool:
Bath is not a target uni for top employers.

I think that's a somewhat limited statement. Would you say that Heriot-Watt was a University that was well regarded for it's top employment prospects? Likely not, yet when looking at it's Psychology course it is extremely well respected. Bath, although no top ranked, is still a prestigious University with an excellent Psychology course.

The problem is with the Psych grad job market. Unless you have PG then you are not likely to get anything in that field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending