Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Graphical Calculator

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm new, so hiya everyone. I'm currently faced with a dilemma on graphical calculators, specifically, which one to buy. Here are the 2 models I'm considering :

FX9860GII

FX9750GII

The key difference (aside from the second looking cooler, which is VERY important, obviously), is that the second is £20 cheaper than the first. While just picking the cheap way out is generally bad idea when buying an expensive bit of kit, the only difference I can see between the two is that the first has a backlight (in case I ever get stuck in a cave with my calculator), and you can download stuff onto the second (and let's face it, that basically means games).
    So, can I have some help here, is there any advantage the more expensive one has that is actually relevant to the Edexcel GCE Maths and Further Maths courses? I'm going to check with some teachers tomorrow, but some additional help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Problem solved, turns out the cheaper one can't do differentiation or integration, which isn't great, so it loses out.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lelouch Lamperouge)
    I'm new, so hiya everyone. I'm currently faced with a dilemma on graphical calculators, specifically, which one to buy. Here are the 2 models I'm considering :

FX9860GII

FX9750GII

The key difference (aside from the second looking cooler, which is VERY important, obviously), is that the second is £20 cheaper than the first. While just picking the cheap way out is generally bad idea when buying an expensive bit of kit, the only difference I can see between the two is that the first has a backlight (in case I ever get stuck in a cave with my calculator), and you can download stuff onto the second (and let's face it, that basically means games).
    So, can I have some help here, is there any advantage the more expensive one has that is actually relevant to the Edexcel GCE Maths and Further Maths courses? I'm going to check with some teachers tomorrow, but some additional help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Problem solved, turns out the cheaper one can't do differentiation or integration, which isn't great, so it loses out.

I think most people will say, there is very little point in getting ANY graphical calculator.

They are very complicated to drive and take time to master. Much better to spend you time learning the material.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ight=graphical calculator
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lelouch Lamperouge)

FX9860GII

FX9750GII

Thanks in advance.

You can download stuff onto the first as well. Remember that, in exams, you'll have to clear it all from the calculator's memory. One thing regarding the fx9860GII - it doesn't always display exact values (eg root 2 will be given as 1.1412....) which can lose you marks if you just copy from the display. If you find yourself doing Simplex for a Decision module, the 9860 can do spreadsheets which, provided you don't make any mistakes typing formulae in, can save a load of time. It also has a backlight which is really bright, although I don't really see how that's helpful.

The 9860 can also solve with graphs, so intersections, minima and maxima can be found pretty easily. It can do polar coordinates, parametrics, matrices and calculus (numerical, not algebraic, although you can get programs that go algebraic). I've got this calculator, so if you've got any questions on it, ask. I don't really find myself using it much though, and I do maths, further maths and what could be seen as additional further maths - so ask yourself: do you really need one? It took me ages to get used to it as well, and there's still loads of stuff I don't know how to do. And if you want a calculator for diff/int - have a look at the fx991ES PLUS.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have just bought an FX9750GII - £20 on ebay. I've upgraded the firmware to that of the 9860 and now it has VPAM (enter and display results as surds etc) and use add ins.
    Also bought a quick guide to using it for A level and will learn it this week.
    I'm very happy with it for the cost.

Just to correct an earlier post, it *does* do (numerical) differentiation and integration, it is just a menu option rather than being on the front buttons.

I got it to replace my 991es plus which was stolen - that's a fine non graphic calculator if you want to spend less money

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.