The Student Room Group

Sports direct, q & a

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Connor1445
Hey, I got the job, although I need ID, what do you need to prove, I know you need an indate passport or a A4 birth certificate, what I want to know is do you need them both or just one of them??

The store manager photocopied my passport and national insurance number. My passport was roughly a year out of date but the manager checked to see if that was acceptable and accepted it :biggrin:!
Reply 21
Hey i have an interview on tuesday for sport direct
and i know they would ask about ' what do you know about sport direct'
and what kinda question or make you do in the interview:confused:
Reply 22
Original post by nimafarah
Hey i have an interview on tuesday for sport direct
and i know they would ask about ' what do you know about sport direct'
and what kinda question or make you do in the interview:confused:

they asked me to show how i would sell a bag for life, everything else was just about my interests and what i want to do in the future
Reply 23
I had an interview for this store and I was unsuccessful. I read on another thread that it's a horrible place to work so I couldn't care less.

Vote it down all you like, but of all the big stores you can work for, Sports Direct is one of the worst.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Nevan
I had an interview for this store and I was unsuccessful. I read on another thread that it's a horrible place to work so I couldn't care less.

out of interest, which store was it?
Reply 25
Original post by randomm1
out of interest, which store was it?

Leicester, some fat bearded fecker was the manager.
(edited 10 years ago)
I had my interview today and they told me on the spot that I'd got it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobilewhat did you wear because I'm stuck on whether it is worth wearing smart clothes or casual clothes
Original post by MarkiMarky93
Im quite alright not working in a knock off sport brand store thank you very much.
im not being picky at all- just noticing how every responce is from young females funnily enough.

They do employ males but it is true the majority of their staff are female and they do prefer to employ females. They will never admit to this as it is discrimination but it does happen.
Interview today ...
What do I wear please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StacFace
1. I only worked for them for about 3 months part-time so I didn't expect my pay to go up (apart from when the national minimum wage went up). However a couple of guys who had been working there a few years did say they were paid more (obviously I don't know if they actually were) but it wasn't £6.80 an hour. I imagine you'd need to work there a very long time before you reach that figure.

2. I found it alright. There weren't really any benefits as such; you got a staff discount but could only use it on certain things. It had to be something in your size, so you couldn't get anything like a bag with it or any clothes that are too small or big to fit you (a size either way they wouldn't notice). You also couldn't get a mens top as a female or vice versa even if the top did fit you.

3. I don't understand what you mean by the house being flexible? If you mean the working hours then I always found you could cancel a shift but wouldn't get the hours elsewhere. If you cancelled too often they'd just stop giving you any hours for a week or so. The hours were low to start with so they often found someone to do your cancelled shift and low hours also meant people didn't want to cancel what they did have.

4. I don't think you'd be able to avoid weekends permanently, but I was part-time staff so maybe they can do this more with full-time staff as they can get the part-time staff to do the weekends.

5. You don't have to like sports, I didn't mention liking any sport at all in my interview and actually hated sports (but didn't tell them that) and found it easy enough to get a job and work there.

6. At my interview it was quite relaxed and they just asked about hobbies and availability really, but then again it was for a part-time casual position so maybe it will be different for full-time staff interviews.

What do you wear ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoonGazer
1. I'm 20 and worked there since I was about 18 and have been paid £5.30 the whole time - was told my pay would go up after the probationary period, but when I asked about it was told that it was at the manager discretion, so it didn't.

2. The only benefits I get are I think, a 15% in-store discount, but I can only use that for buying things for myself and not anyone else. Management can be a bit varied - sometimes they're lovely, other times they can be a bit of a pain to work with.

3. Generally speaking they are, yeah - if you need a day off or whatever, try to let them know as soon as possible.

4. Out of about at least 20 staff, only 4 are full time workers - it's highly unlikely you'll get a full time job there.

5. No you don't, but it's useful obviously for when you're serving customers to get a basic knowledge of the items you stock in-store.

6. Not really, it does seem to have changed a bit from what recent people have said from when I went for it - I was dressed fairly neatly in clean/unripped jeans and a hoody and was basically ran through health and safety, what hours I could work, what I knew about the store, why I want to work there etc - none of this role-play stuff.

What do you wear.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Future Knowledge
What do you wear.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wore something smart!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
I wore something smart!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i arrived late at the interview, they told me to go away....what do i do now?

i feel like crying and killing someone....i have been looking for a job for ages and i am really desperate please help me

i was late because i have OCD but they wont undestand that.

i feel like crying and killing someone....i have been looking for a job for ages and i am really desperate please help me

Say what? Were they rude about it :eek:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just accept it, you'll have to hope another job comes up

They'll have loads of applicants so if one turns up late they can narrow it down straight away very easily
Original post by dhowell93
Hey! I'm going to be attending a job interview at a local sports direct shop and would like some advice of people who have worked there OR work there now, Thank you :smile:

1. Whats the pay like? Apparently its "up to £6.80" but I'm eighteen. Could somebody who works there now tell me what they get payed?

2. Is it a good company to work for, benefits and such?

3. Are the house really THAT felixable?

4. I'm looking for a full time job, so monday to friday with no weekends... would that be acceptable?

5. Do you have to like sports? because I don't

6. Tips for the interview?

Thank you!!! :biggrin:

1. They pay the minimum wage.

2. No,the working conditions are shocking. Lack of breaks and stock rooms being a health hazard.

3. Yes. Unless you are on a contract, hours are very flexible which is great for students.

4. Not really. You may get full time hours if you are good, but you won't be taken on as a full timer unless you were able to work every day.

5. No, it helps in many cases but it isn't a must.

6. Just be confident.
Original post by King Kebab
1. They pay the minimum wage.

2. No,the working conditions are shocking. Lack of breaks and stock rooms being a health hazard.

3. Yes. Unless you are on a contract, hours are very flexible which is great for students.

4. Not really. You may get full time hours if you are good, but you won't be taken on as a full timer unless you were able to work every day.

5. No, it helps in many cases but it isn't a must.

6. Just be confident.

The stockrooms are a pain :/ so small and cramped /:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I went in in a casual long black skirt and top (it was hot and I came straight from college!). The manager hired me straight after the interview. That was two weeks ago. I filled out all the paperwork, and signed my contract.. and nothing. They havent contacted me at all to organise an induction. Should I be worried?
Original post by Sazam
I went in in a casual long black skirt and top (it was hot and I came straight from college!). The manager hired me straight after the interview. That was two weeks ago. I filled out all the paperwork, and signed my contract.. and nothing. They havent contacted me at all to organise an induction. Should I be worried?

Go into the store and ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Got the job! Had the interview on Friday and I just got the email.
The role I applied for says casual staff so probably just here and there right?
I had applied to so many jobs that all of them are getting back to me now :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending