Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IB Maths HL 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The trig one was fine I multiplied the top and bottom by (CosA+SinA) and the answer presented itself. I think there were other ways too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAMDS1993)
    oh the xy=6 x^2-y^2=5 ??
    What number was this? Q10 anyone xD, got the answer but it was only 7 marks........ I feel like it should have been at least 8 or 9.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tried qn 10, I got up until the limits i got 1/2(e^(-x)sinx - e^(-x)cosx) and then put in the limits and ran out of time before I could complete..but I feel like I would've gotten it with abit more time! the xy=6 and x^2-y^2=5 was number 12! the complex number question where u had to find the roots of that number and its conjugate!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think the grade boundaries for 7 and 6 are gonna be for paper 1?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    95 for 7. I never really pay attention to the 6 boundries so can't guess, sorry.

Did anyone else, in the complex numbers, get something weird for the argument like arctan((root7)/3 or something).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arra)
    95 for 7. I never really pay attention to the 6 boundries so can't guess, sorry.

Did anyone else, in the complex numbers, get something weird for the argument like arctan((root7)/3 or something).
    It varies tremendously especially with HL Math. I've seen it go anywhere from 80 to 100.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogmatichurricane)
    It varies tremendously especially with HL Math. I've seen it go anywhere from 80 to 100.
    I've seen it at 74 on some papers. And today's Paper 2 was harder than those paper's for sure.

But this paper one was certainly on the easier side, so I'm guessing 95.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arra)
    I've seen it at 74 on some papers. And today's Paper 2 was harder than those paper's for sure.

But this paper one was certainly on the easier side, so I'm guessing 95.
    Ah fair enough - I wouldn't think too much about it though. I came out of my papers last year thinking Paper 1 was straightforward and Paper 2 had the most messed up section B I had ever seen. Paper 1's grade boundary came out at 79 and Paper 2's was 84 or something along those lines if I remember right. Each to their own I guess....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TTGenius)
    the one u have to transfer to e^(iθ) form, anyone have ideas ????
    Ok, I took my time to write this out for you guys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	839 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	145753
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Guys low lets estimate the difficulty of paper 1 by a scale from 1 to 10 (1 easy to 10 hard)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got the roots for the 5+2i, revised that the night before . I'd give it an 8 in relative terms, usually I find P1 easier than P2 for this year it was the opposite. I don't remember them exactly they were 2, -2 and 3i I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paper 1 section A was a 3 or 4. Section B was a 5.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saymyname!)

Oh I got that question pretty much then except i didn't put pi - and pi +! I put 2e^(i(arctan(root(7)/3)) and 2e^i(arctan(-root(7)/3))! Which is I suppose the same thing because pi plus gives u a positive sign and pi minus gives u a negative sign!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah -5+12i was (2+3i) or (-2-3i) and -5-12i (the conjugate i guess) was (2-3i) (-2+3i)!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    People in my class didn't like paper 1..so its not everyone of us who thought it was okay! May 2009 TZ2 Paper 1 is one of the easiest papers I have ever seen and the boundary for that is 91! Even though our paper 1 was pretty good, I'd still say May 09 TZ2 P1 was way easier!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Was it 5+12i or -5+12i?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

That is quite relieving....I got exactly that..at least all the answers look familiar

for the equation at start of part B

I got (x+4)(x-2)(x^2 + 3x +4)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banna)
    That is quite relieving....I got exactly that..at least all the answers look familiar

for the equation at start of part B

I got (x+4)(x-2)(x^2 + 3x +4)
    well done! I got the same equation!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    well done! I got the same equation!
    Yeah I got that as well!!

I read -5+12i lol! And then the conjugate as -5-12i If it isn't here we go misread marks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If u got 3i then im pretty sure u did -5+12i too! Coz 5+12i is (3+2i)^2 not (2+3i)^2

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.