The Student Room Group

Audi? Aldi?

The car make 'Audi' .. why is it pronounced Aldi? I always want to pronounce it AU-Di but everyone seems to say Aldi. I'm confused?
Reply 1
Sounds like someone's pulling your leg. The first syllabel should sound like the ow in cow imo and not like the au in audio.
Reply 2
No I don't think anyone is pulling my leg. ALDI sounds like OW so that's what I mean. Why is it pronounced OW? Should it now be 'AU' like 'audio'? Why is it OW when it is spelt 'AU'?
Reply 3
What about Australia and Austria? Their 'Au' isn't pronounced like audio either.
It's pronounced Ow-Dee
Reply 5
Original post by No Man
What about Australia and Austria? Their 'Au' isn't pronounced like audio either.

Yes but it's not OWS-TRALIA or OWS-TRIA ... its OS-TRALIA and OS-TRIA

Shouldn't it be AU-DI and not OW-DEE?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Audi = German car brand
Aldi = German supermarket brand

It's pronounced the way it is because it's German :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
different words have different pronunciation, irrespective of their spelling.... it's not that difficult a concept to get your head around.
Reply 8
I think the OP is confused because he is a cockney. Cockneys pronounce Ls as Ws unless the L is the first letter of the word. So the word "well" is pronounced "wew" and the word "Aldi" is pronounced "Awdi", or indeed, "Audi". The rest of the world pronounces the L in "Aldi" correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest