Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much muscle could I put on in 5 months?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    I agree with you. People are quick to shout out numbers like "500 over maintenance, 800 over maintenance!, when really you only need to eat 300, or 200, or 10.

Anything you eat over maintenance gets stored as fat. Eating 800 over wont help you build any more muscle than eating 100 over since it is over it is being stored as fat.
    Total unadulterated BS.

OP if you have average genetics and it's your first 5 months working out and you train perfectly without over training, sleep perfectly, eat right and everything else, you could put on 5 lbs on muscle in 5 months. Which, spread all over your body wont make a blind bit of difference to how you look.
    He could put on more than that, and could gain a lot of strength too.

(Original post by TheCount.)
    and how?...

I want to build on a good bit of muscle over the summer as I'm trying to get into a team (I row) but I'm about 10kg lighter than most in the boat (because most are about 3 inches taller, so I want to try and compensate by being bigger!) , so probably won't have a chance of getting in at my current weight. I'd rather not put on much fat whilst trying to build muscle! I'm currently about 76kg and I'm 6'0.

Any tips beyond the usual: Eat loads, lift heavy.
    OP read starting strength and run the program for 5 months. You should add more muscle and make massive strength gains if you eat and rest right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    Total unadulterated BS.
    How is it? Care to explain? Probably not since I doubt you are able to.

Calories consumed over maintenance get stored as fat, it's as simple as that. The only difference that will happen if he consumes 100 or 1000 over is that he will store more fat.

Why do you think that eating a massive number of calories over what the body uses to run itself, fuel the day, fuel the workout and fuel the muscle repair and regrowth will magically encourage the muscles to grow bigger or faster?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is it? Care to explain? Probably not since I doubt you are able to.

Calories consumed over maintenance get stored as fat, it's as simple as that. The only difference that will happen if he consumes 100 or 1000 over is that he will store more fat.

Why do you think that eating a massive number of calories over what the body uses to run itself, fuel the day, fuel the workout and fuel the muscle repair and regrowth will magically encourage the muscles to grow bigger or faster?
    No, if you exhaust your muscles, a great deal of the excess calories you eat go towards repairing the muscle and adding more mass to it so it can exert more effort in the future. After the muscles are repaired, most of the rest of the excess calories become fat. However, 100kcal surplus will not be enough to gain muscle even when lifting weights regularly.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, if you exhaust your muscles, a great deal of the excess calories you eat go towards repairing the muscle and adding more mass to it so it can exert more effort in the future. After the muscles are repaired, most of the rest of the excess calories become fat. However, 100kcal surplus will not be enough to gain muscle even when lifting weights regularly.
    Do you know what maintenance means?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eating 800 over maintenance will enable you to gain muscle faster as your body will have more energy that can be used to build muscle. Strength will be gained much faster too. You will however gain a lot more fat. 500 seems to be the cut off point where muscle growth is the fastest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Do you know what maintenance means?
    Maintenance is the calories you need for a sedentary lifestyle, exercise and muscle repair are not included in you BMR.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    However, 100kcal surplus will not be enough to gain muscle even when lifting weights regularly.
    wrong, even with a slight calorie deficit it's possible to gain muscle mass through capitalizing on insulin spikes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason1234)
    wrong, even with a slight calorie deficit it's possible to gain muscle mass through capitalizing on insulin spikes
    It would take weeks to gain even a pound of muscle. Lean bulking just isn't feasible without gear.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So much bull in this thread. 15-20kg in 5 months? You've got to be kidding. On noob gains, about 2 pounds a month is a reasonable target. Most likely that will have a decent proportion of fat too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha~~)
    So much bull in this thread. 15-20kg in 5 months? You've got to be kidding. On noob gains, about 2 pounds a month is a reasonable target. Most likely that will have a decent proportion of fat too.
    10 lbs in 5 months, even including noob gains. That's bull man.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance is the calories you need for a sedentary lifestyle, exercise and muscle repair are not included in you BMR.

Maintenance isn't your BMR. Go get educated before you spout your **** in the forum.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance isn't your BMR. Go get educated before you spout your **** in the forum.
    If you include exercise and muscle repair in your maintenance calories, it would be constantly variable depending on how much you'd moved around that day ****wit.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you include exercise and muscle repair in your maintenance calories, it would be constantly variable depending on how much you'd moved around that day ****wit.
    I'm not debating this with you anymore. You straight up got the definition wrong so didn't understand what Mikestraws and I were saying.

I don't give a flying **** what you think, you are wrong. Go try to convince somebody else that definitions are incorrect.

BMR and maintenance are completely different, do you even know what BMR is?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would take weeks to gain even a pound of muscle
    And your point is? You're right in the sense that there has been conclusive evidence to conclude that a larger calorie surplus beyond 200 can be beneficial, but if you think that gaining a pound of muscle over a 2-3 week period is slow gains then you may be dissapointed in the future
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think this article may be useful to some http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._about_bulking
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason1234)
    And your point is? You're right in the sense that there has been conclusive evidence to conclude that a larger calorie surplus beyond 200 can be beneficial, but if you think that gaining a pound of muscle over a 2-3 week period is slow gains then you may be dissapointed in the future
    Average lifters who aren't approaching their natty potential can gain a lot more than that if they have their diet and rest sorted. They will just have to cut a bit of fat.

I'm not debating this with you anymore. You straight up got the definition wrong so didn't understand what Mikestraws and I were saying.

I don't give a flying **** what you think, you are wrong. Go try to convince somebody else that definitions are incorrect.

BMR and maintenance are completely different, do you even know what BMR is?
    Definitions aren't the subject of this debate, you're saying that 100kcal surplus is enough to build as much muscle as possible, and anything else you eat becomes fat. This is flat out wrong, stop posting bad advice on this forum.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go lightweight.

To be honest, packing on the weight wont make you a better rower. Get fitter on the erg, stronger by doing weights, but don't just make yourself heavy for the sake of it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Go lightweight.

To be honest, packing on the weight wont make you a better rower. Get fitter on the erg, stronger by doing weights, but don't just make yourself heavy for the sake of it.
    No, rowers have to lift to have a chance at their sport. Did you ever see Isley from /fit/? He had a 200kg squat and 255kg deadlift at 90 something kg, then he started rowing and is one of the best guys at his uni now.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, rowers have to lift to have a chance at their sport. Did you ever see Isley from /fit/? He had a 200kg squat and 255kg deadlift at 90 something kg, then he started rowing and is one of the best guys at his uni now.
    I agree. You do need to lift, but you don't need to lift with the intention of becoming heavy.

And by "their" sport, you mean "my sport". I actually row at a reasonable level.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    I agree. You do need to lift, but you don't need to lift with the intention of becoming heavy.

And by "their" sport, you mean "my sport". I actually row at a reasonable level.
    My mistake, yeah I agree with you then. It's best for rowers to get as strong as they can without getting too heavy, although obviously they have to add some mass.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.