The Student Room Group

Irish passport = fee free Scottish education...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cool Cat
lol I'm Northern Irish but would rather pay fees of astronomical amounts than call myself an irish citizen and have an irish passport. I feel really strongly about my British identity and couldn't give thta up even if it meant no fees!

It's amazing what people will do for money. I read somewhere that 80% of Scots would vote to leave the UK if independence made them £500 richer, and that 80% would vote to stay in the UK if independence made them £500 poorer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bloomblaze
I think Nationality is much more important than loyalty to phone networks!

I've seen a few of pages on the internet with similar concerns that I would have eg I just found this: http://www.fsicrew.info/forums/snp-discriminates-against-unionist-students-t18440.html

Also, Gregory Campbell's comments on this page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17900220

totally agree

and

'"With such a unique situation, the Scottish executive should take an equally unique approach to Northern Ireland students.

"Rather than only those who are happy to have an Irish passport gaining free university places, the Scottish executive should remove all fees for students from Northern Ireland.

"This would restore fairness in that those who wouldn't be comfortable being an Irish citizen can still avail of free places at Scottish universities.

"Those who do not accept being labelled as Irish should not be disadvantaged to the tune of up to £27,000 over a three year period."'

well said Greggers :yy:

unionists need to be more steadfast and consistent instead of waivering to republican ways so quickly. It's making Unionism look feeble and fickle
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by quavers
Scotland's education policy towards England and Wales is a joke.

Live in England? Pay £9000.
Live in Spain of Greece? Go there for free.

:lolwut:

They can get their independence in 2014, good riddance I say.

From what I'm aware, it is not as simple as that. Scottish people get university for free because the Scottish government pays for it. EU students get university for free in Scotland because their country, not Scotland, pays for it. England and Wales only subsidizes about half of the money, which is why they have to pay £9000.
Northern Irish with an Irish Passport. Parents wanted me to go to Uni in Scotland like my brother. I wanted to go to England so I applied to all English Uni's and have offers. Don't I feel really smart now.
Original post by Bekkah321
Northern Irish with an Irish Passport. Parents wanted me to go to Uni in Scotland like my brother. I wanted to go to England so I applied to all English Uni's and have offers. Don't I feel really smart now.

So you were/are prepared to pay £9000 per year in England (and repay after £15,000 earning threshold), rather than rougly £3500 per year in NI?

I would be put off applying to England for the reason above.
Original post by zaliack
From what I'm aware, it is not as simple as that. Scottish people get university for free because the Scottish government pays for it. EU students get university for free in Scotland because their country, not Scotland, pays for it. England and Wales only subsidizes about half of the money, which is why they have to pay £9000.

The Scottish government's budget comes from the UK budget. So the UK pays for it.

EU students studying anywhere in Europe are paid for the country they are studying in (or by fees, which must be the same as domestic students)

The reason the Scottish government is able to do this is simply that the UK, rather than England, Scotland etc is the EU member state. It's a loophole, which they are exploiting, against the spirit of the law, to discriminate against British students.
Reply 126
Original post by Callum828
Well obviously the Scots aren't going to freely give tuition to Poles while charging the English if there were no legal compunction to do so. However they DO have the option to waive fees for UK students. And frankly, the fact that they can even consider NOT giving fee waivers to the very people whose taxes pay for their universities is despicable.

Why would they when the rest of the UK won't even givè their own students free tuition, I don't get what you're so angry about :s-smilie:
Original post by NR09
Why would they when the rest of the UK won't even givè their own students free tuition, I don't get what you're so angry about :s-smilie:

I'm angry that UK taxes go towards Scottish-only benefits. The Scottish government isn't providing free tuition. The British taxpayer is providing free tuition, but only to Scottish students.

And as for your solution of 'the rest of the UK giving its students free tuition':

1. It's unaffordable. The only reason the Scots can do so is because they are subsidised by UK taxpayers.

2. The English are unrepresented. There is no English Parliament, only Westminster. And when the tuition fee vote went through, Scottish MPs were quite happy to vote in favour, knowing that their own constituents would never have to pay.
Reply 128
I'm angry that UK taxes go towards Scottish-only benefits. The Scottish government isn't providing free tuition. The British taxpayer is providing free tuition, but only to Scottish students.

And as for your solution of 'the rest of the UK giving its students free tuition':

1. It's unaffordable. The only reason the Scots can do so is because they are subsidised by UK taxpayers.

2. The English are unrepresented. There is no English Parliament, only Westminster. And when the tuition fee vote went through, Scottish MPs were quite happy to vote in favour, knowing that their own constituents would never have to pay.

Uk taxes include taxes raised by Scotland. Money is then distributed between each government and the spend it how they choose.

And that wasn't my solution, in very happy with the way tuition fees are currently handled in the UK.
Well obviously the Scots aren't going to freely give tuition to Poles while charging the English if there were no legal compunction to do so. However they DO have the option to waive fees for UK students. And frankly, the fact that they can even consider NOT giving fee waivers to the very people whose taxes pay for their universities is despicable.

The Scottish Government was created to serve the needs of the Scottish taxpayer but who cares? Yay! Lets widen our higher education funding gap even further so that thousands, hell why not tens of thousands, of English students can study here free at our expense! All in the name of solidarity with a nation that would not provide reciprocal tuition status for us and supports our independence more than we do.

Who cares if the this would mean cuts to other essential services, the rahs at Edinburgh and St. Andrews are more important. And the tsunami of fee refugees from England who would take up thousands of places, that would have otherwise gone to Scottish students, are just what we need!

You're right, why should anybody, especially the Scotch, get free university if the English can't?
Reply 130
The Scottish government's budget comes from the UK budget. So the UK pays for it.

EU students studying anywhere in Europe are paid for the country they are studying in (or by fees, which must be the same as domestic students)

The reason the Scottish government is able to do this is simply that the UK, rather than England, Scotland etc is the EU member state. It's a loophole, which they are exploiting, against the spirit of the law, to discriminate against British students.

And Scotland is part of the UK, which has its budget allocated to it by Westminster, which they can choose what they want to.

If Scotland didn't charge tuition fees to English students, what do you think would happen? Over subscription to Scottish courses, which means that lower tier universities will die out.
Original post by bloomblaze
So you were/are prepared to pay £9000 per year in England (and repay after £15,000 earning threshold), rather than rougly £3500 per year in NI?

I would be put off applying to England for the reason above.

Well, my parents encouraged me to go to Uni in Scotland/England/Wales. They didn't really want me staying at home considering the 1 university in N.I offers the course I applied for is a few miles down the road and offers no Halls of residence. I would end up living at home for another year. And considering the 1 Uni.. not much of a selection or even a chance considering spaces are limited. I'd rather broaden my horizons. And so what the fees of my course are around £7,000, i'm not gonna base planning my future around fees.

I guess most people are/would be put off but I guess I wasn't because my parents encouraged me and my have also agreed somewhere along the lines to contribute my fees.

On another had, I won't be sorry to leave N.I.
What a fantastic story

Oh and for Unionists out there (from the North) are you prepared to get an Irish passport anyway?
totally agree

and

'"With such a unique situation, the Scottish executive should take an equally unique approach to Northern Ireland students.

"Rather than only those who are happy to have an Irish passport gaining free university places, the Scottish executive should remove all fees for students from Northern Ireland.

"This would restore fairness in that those who wouldn't be comfortable being an Irish citizen can still avail of free places at Scottish universities.

"Those who do not accept being labelled as Irish should not be disadvantaged to the tune of up to £27,000 over a three year period."'

well said Greggers :yy:

unionists need to be more steadfast and consistent instead of waivering to republican ways so quickly. It's making Unionism look feeble and fickle

Gregory Campbell's comment makes no sense though, Northern Ireland is member state of the United Kingdom, therefore Northern Irish students however should be expected to pay the same rate as those of England and Wales. However for those of us who considered ourselves Irish, this is our reward.

If you are too pretentious to order an Irish passport then you SHOULD be charged those fees, I know if I was promised lower fees I'd have gotten a British one.
Original post by That Bearded Man

If you are too pretentious to order an Irish passport then you SHOULD be charged those fees, I know if I was promised lower fees I'd have gotten a British one.

you what??

if anything, it's those that order Irish passports purely for the offer of no fees that are the pretentious ones.

and it's called acting on principles. At least i'm being consistently unionist
Original post by startitup
Do you think it's a bit of a loophole that needs reformed? I mean for example pretend there are two people, Person A and Person B. Person A and Person B are both born in Belfast (part of the United Kingdom) and live in the same area all the way up to age 18. Person A identifies themselves as being British and Person B identifies themselves as being Irish so they each get the appropriate passports. Despite both never having lived in the Republic of Ireland, Person B is now eligible to free university education and Person A living a few miles away has to pay £9,000. To me, this is ludacris. Northern Ireland obviously has a very different nationality issue than other countries and I think because of this, the Scottish government should really reform this as soon as possible.

Isn't this the argument that sparked the troubles?

Depriving a man from the North his right to claim Irish citizenship is unfair, particularly for Fermanagh/Tyrone as they were only in the Union because MP's in the 18th century thought a 4 county country was too small.
you what??

if anything, it's those that order Irish passports purely for the offer of no fees that are the pretentious ones.

and it's called acting on principles. At least i'm being consistently unionist

I admire you for standing by your principles, however, if you wanted to go to Glasgow university would you not apply for an Irish passport anyway?
Original post by That Bearded Man
I admire you for standing by your principles, however, if you wanted to go to Glasgow university would you not apply for an Irish passport anyway?

I'm at a Scottish uni right now and nope, will not be ordering an Irish passport anytime soon.
I'm at a Scottish uni right now and nope, will not be ordering an Irish passport anytime soon.

Fair play then for your dedication, if this was in reverse I would get a British passport in a heartbeat if it meant saving that much money. I think there needs to be a balance between political views and (what I regard as anyway) common sense
Not really. The EU law is pretty clear. It's just its drafters didn't forsee that the Scottish government would be so malicious as to discriminate against its fellow British citizens.

As for 'axing the EU budget', I would remind you that even countries not in the EU pay into the budget. It's part of being able to access the internal market, and even the BNP want access to the internal market.

The EU law though is essentially designed to get EU students to Britain for education because the continent is so relatively deficient in higher education.

Actually, it's possible to access the European market without being in the Union or paying the sort of things member states have to pay for little in return.

And let's not forget that economic integration with the continent came at the cost of Commonwealth trade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending