Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roy Hodgson Named England Manager

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hodgson is has had quite the journeyman career.

I think it's a good appointment personally, for the reasons others like Mastermind have mentioned: he's good at making teams overachieve; he's got experience in international management; he organises his teams well and he knows quite a lot about European football. If they're adamant having an English manager, I'd say he's the best choice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTR_10)
    Suarez was a bargain at £22m.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH brilliant
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol_this)
    liverpool fans: offended by everything, ashamed by nothing. Just talk about their history, hates other fans talking about their club harshly, but likes to talk about other clubs harshly.

I bet Kenny wouldn't even get the scotland job. he's only a lfc manager because of his status and deluded lfc fans cannot see that he is poor. all they have to protect him is mickey mouse cup and status

and lets not forget £35m carroll - hardly plays him.

Look at Di Matteo. his team went through against barca - torres sealed their place in the final, and scored a hat-trick. carroll misses a sitter.

lets hope hodgson does a better job at England, and see how lfc fans will react.
    Your posts never cease to make me laugh. Every single one is a bitter one about Liverpool and Daglish. You must have an interesting life if all you do is talk and moan about a club you dislike :rofl2:

Liverpool have dominated most teams they have played this season. It's the matter of player quality which has let him down in the final 3rd especially. So at international level i think he would do a good job. When Woy was in charge he wasn't dominating games like Daglish was. Not that dominating means it all as you need to score. But i think tactically Kenny is fairly good. I don't think he is anywhere on the level of a PL winning manager again though.

Why do people like yourself continue to judge a manager by one game? Are you so short sighted that you are unable to look beyond one defeat? Alex Ferguson lost 6-1 to Man City - terrible manager?

On a lighter note, check out Hodgson's profile on Wikipedia. Under Personal life, the last line states:

'He is a very nice man.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson
    I mentioned 2 games, and the majority of the other games were on a similar level. Never seen Liverpool play so badly in my life. Yes Kenny hasn't done much better but that's more of a case of ineffective transfer dealings, not actual tactics, of which Liverpool play a huge amount better than they did under Hodgson and dominate most games. The difference to quality from the Benitez era to Hodgson era was astounding. He can't manage the big egos, and so this will end in failure. I have no doubt. If you think he will do great then fine by me. Just i have no doubts he won't lol.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aramiss18)
    Same. Completely derailed Spurs' season with speculation for **** all. They can't handle anything with dignity, composure and decisiveness.
    The FA, who have never once uttered Redknapp's name in public, or the media, who mention it every other article?

Misplaced anger.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    also, the Liverpool fans in this thread make me embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan.

We'll happily slate Woy and yet defend Kenny for making similar mistakes and spunking £100,000,000 up the wall on bang average playerrs.
    :nope: I have criticised the appointment of Dalglish from day one and I will continue to do it. The only ones that don't (of which there are very few who do more than 'give him one more season') are the ones who have either been brainwashed by their parents or the older people who grew up watching him play and watched how he suffered side by side with the families of those who died at Hillsborough going to almost every funeral. Dalglish has invested himself in to Liverpool both professionally and emotionally far more than 99% of supporters will ever do.

That is why people were loathe to criticise him and feel he should be given more respect.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same. Completely derailed Spurs' season with speculation for **** all. They can't handle anything with dignity, composure and decisiveness.
    It's not the FA's fault the Sp*ds don't have the mental strength to deal with all this speculation and just carry on. Every team in involved in some form of speculation and the Sp*ds are no different. Anyway you're still on course to get fourth. JUST.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Agree about Carroll though. Talk about panic buying.
    Really though? Atrocious discipline, ever fluctuating form. I don't doubt his ability on his day (he is unstoppable) but he can't keep playing dirty. He'll end up pulling a Cantona and getting a season long suspension if he carries on.

(Original post by Clip)
    And he went back to Anfield and beat the Messiah with West Brom.
    Yes! Forgot this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    spurs fans must be kicking themselves now that they hate 'arry and won't be able to ship him out for compensation
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Wouldn't you say the media are more to blame?
    More yes in this specific case, but even Phil Gartside (on the FA board) said that Redknapp was the best choice. It's just added to the nitty gritty things like cup semis at Wembley and inconsistent refereeing standards that have really pissed me off about them.

Plus they should have ruled out Redknapp if they didn't want him. Yup, keeping your options open and ****ing a team's season up :congrats:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Some of my favourites:

An added part from his 35 years of experience crap..

“The question is quite frankly insulting, I suppose. That question is suggesting something. To suggest that suddenly because you move from one club to another, the methods that have stood you in good stead for 35 years and made you one of the most respected coaches in the Europe suddenly do not work. I find it very, very hard to believe that someone has even asked me that question.”

:rofl2:

None of them are as good as this though.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Most people from Liverpool really don't care about England. It is just an excuse to have a drink when the tournaments come along, there is no active support what so ever. The most Liverpool supporters care about England is that they wish they wouldn't pick Liverpool players :dontknow:
    Never understood this hate Liverpool give towards the national side just one of those thing, the way it is going Liverpool may have 2 players in the national team for Euros Johnson and Gerrad, alot of people think Gerrard is passed it for international football

(Original post by Peggles_*)
    Pardew or Arry top two for quite a lot of people I think
    Pardew while he is a good manager he is not that great, and his not had a the experience yet, he went from being sacked at league 1 at Soton for annoying the back room staff to the Newcastle job
    Arry would be ok, but if the reported cost is true the FA won't pay that

This could all be mind games to get Arry to talk to Spurs to let him go
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    £22m which brought world-wide negative press towards Liverpool.

Nice.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)

None of them are as good as this though.
    It's a FACT, GET IT RIGHT!

Funny as ****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    doesn't matter who's the manager, the egos in the england dressing room won't give him a chance
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatTheFunk)
    Never understood this hate Liverpool give towards the national side just one of those thing, the way it is going Liverpool may have 2 players in the national team for Euros Johnson and Gerrad, alot of people think Gerrard is passed it for international football
    I couldn't really care about how Gerrard is percieved by people with regards to whether he should be playing for the international team or not :dontknow: He has constantly been played out of position to accomodate other players and has basically been called a bottler and a bad player to make up for the shortfalls of other players.

I have always disliked the national side, everything about it including the players, media, FA and supporters. It is an absolute joke and it is an embarassment that people link me to it when I go abroad or even when people in England say I am an England supporter.
    I also feel England is a way for supporters of clubs who are not that successful to try and live out their big stage dreams and it shows in the horrifically small time England following with their ****ing band and **** chants.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The FA, who have never once uttered Redknapp's name in public, or the media, who mention it every other article?

Misplaced anger.

(Original post by Peggles_*)
    It's not the FA's fault the Sp*ds don't have the mental strength to deal with all this speculation and just carry on. Every team in involved in some form of speculation and the Sp*ds are no different. Anyway you're still on course to get fourth. JUST.
    It was obvious it was having a detrimental effect on Spurs' season and the FA just dithered along like normal. The FA's a weak organisation that was going to cower to the pundits and players and go for Redknapp but they couldn't afford him and so dithered- the whole time the carry on affecting Spurs.

Even if you take aside the Redknapp situation the shortlist could only have been 3-4 names long (after all the fuss about England needing and English manager) so why'd it take them so long right before a big tournament?

As I said before indecisive. And I'm not even a Spurs fan- I just like their style of play.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was obvious it was having a detrimental effect on Spurs' season and the FA just dithered along like normal. The FA's a weak organisation that was going to cower to the pundits and players and go for Redknapp but they couldn't afford and so dithered- the whole time the carry on affecting Spurs.

Even if you take aside the Redknapp situation the shortlist could only have been 3-4 names long (after all the fuss about England needing and English manager) so why'd it take them so long right before a big tournament?

As I said before indecisive. And I'm not even a Spurs fan- I just like their style of play.
    I'm not buying that excuse personally. Spurs won their first game after Redknapp's court case/Capello resignation 5-0 vs. Newcastle, then were 2-0 up vs. Arsenal and imploded. The rest you know about...
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    The same man that managed 33 points in 18 games compared to Woys 25 in 20 with the same team?
    And this season, with his own team he's only managed 49 points in 35. Maybe they should bring back the Owl as director of football to buy players for Dalglish.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    And this season, with his own team he's only managed 49 points in 35. Maybe they should bring back the Owl as director of football to buy players for Dalglish.
    Most of the players used by Dalglish during the second half of last season were players signed by Benitez and the Hodgson ones were ignored :dontknow:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I couldn't really care about how Gerrard is percieved by people with regards to whether he should be playing for the international team or not :dontknow: He has constantly been played out of position to accomodate other players and has basically been called a bottler and a bad player to make up for the shortfalls of other players.

I have always disliked the national side, everything about it including the players, media, FA and supporters. It is an absolute joke and it is an embarassment that people link me to it when I go abroad or even when people in England say I am an England supporter.
    I also feel England is a way for supporters of clubs who are not that successful to try and live out their big stage dreams and it shows in the horrifically small time England following with their ****ing band and **** chants.
    What is bad about fans who support small clubs from league 2 and below going off to support their national side on the world stage?
    People support England from all backgrounds, from Man U fans down to fans of clubs in level 10 of the league system. The Media cause most of the trouble the fans just want to have fan and support their country

Gerrard has put in a few good games but it time for newer younger players to stand up, we can't keep playing the same Hollywood ball players

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.