The Student Room Group

Degree or Masters in Mental Health Nursing

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could advise on differences between a pre registration degree and masters in mental health nursing. I have a business degree at present but i am working as a support worker and also doing health and social care modules with the open uni, which if i carry on with these will lead to a degree in health and social care.However in the future i would like to become a mental healh nurse, and wasnt sure which type of qualification would be best for me. I am not looking to apply for a while but would like a clearer idea of what is best to do. I know the degree is 3 yrs with placements and i would get my fees paid for, and as far as im aware a masters is usually 2 yrs long and i would need to pay my own fees, and may also need to complete the health degree to get on. Does anyone have any good advice please? Thanks
I think it is only the PGDip you can do with a related degree & as far as I'm aware diplomas are being phased out. Nursing will be entirely degree centred from 2013. Doing an MSc would require you to be a qualified nurse already.

I was looking at doing the PGDip (I have a degree in English Lit & Film and have worked as a support worker) but now I'm doing the BSc. At first I wasn't keen with the idea of another three years at uni but time is flying by & I am really enjoying myself.
Reply 2
Heeey. I have a degree in Zoology, and while some universities require a relevant degree for entry onto the PgDip, not all do. I've been accepted onto the PgDip Mental Health nusing at UWL (sept 2012 entry). I've been volunteering at a mental health hospital for about 6months and I had to complete an extended CV (which is assessed to ensure your previous academic skills you've gained are transferable to the course). x

Quick Reply

Latest