The Student Room Group

Easiest IB division to get into (apart from operations!)

Curious to know peoples thoughts on the easiest IB division to get an internship in apart from operations. Want to know how opinions vary from person to person! thanks
Reply 1
Do you want to "know how opinions vary from person to person" or do you want to know which division to apply to?

I highly recommend you don't start applying to divisions which are easier to get into.

Yes, IBD and S&T are the most competitive, but if your not interested in operations or tech, you will be binned at the interview stage straight away. If you somehow do get a job in an 'easier' division, you will have the worst time of your life there (because that's not what you want to do, some people enjoy tech etc).

Anyway, I'll answer your 'question' about knowing how opinons vary from person to person and say that the BO jobs are less competitive but as I said, you will be caught out at the interview straight away if thats not where your heart lies. You will be up against people who want to do operations, tech etc as a career.
Reply 2
Original post by Scorcher

Anyway, I'll answer your 'question' about knowing how opinons vary from person to person and say that the BO jobs are less competitive but as I said, you will be caught out at the interview straight away if thats not where your heart lies. You will be up against people who want to do operations, tech etc as a career.

This really isn't true. Plenty of people I know ended up in BO without having a real interest in it. You can fake it till you make it. At least for the less competitive roles where they probably won't go to deep into your motivation or understanding of the role itself.
What roles are in Operations?
Is Risk Managment Operations?
Reply 4
Original post by Regent
This really isn't true. Plenty of people I know ended up in BO without having a real interest in it. You can fake it till you make it. At least for the less competitive roles where they probably won't go to deep into your motivation or understanding of the role itself.

Hmm, I've heard that tech just rejects people straight away if they don't see a real interest.

Remember the people interviewing you for BO are people who have been in BO for a long time and it's their career. I doubt they will want a cocky wannabe trader working with them who is just using their career as a back up.

If you are right, I still wouldn't recommend going for the role thats the least competitive. For me, I'd much rather switch careers to something I would enjoy as much as trading etc rather than spend my whole life in operations wondering what if.
Reply 5
Original post by delasandro
What roles are in Operations?
Is Risk Managment Operations?

Risk management is MO, how the **** would it be part of ops...
Reply 6
Hmm, I've heard that tech just rejects people straight away if they don't see a real interest.

Remember the people interviewing you for BO are people who have been in BO for a long time and it's their career. I doubt they will want a cocky wannabe trader working with them who is just using their career as a back up.

If you are right, I still wouldn't recommend going for the role thats the least competitive. For me, I'd much rather switch careers to something I would enjoy as much as trading etc rather than spend my whole life in operations wondering what if.

Any above-par candidate can get an offer from ops. Its just like PWM internships.
Reply 7

I agree with you. But people see the starting salary and think its a fair price to pay for unhappiness from 9 to 5, not to mention they're sold on the dream that a prove to front office is a real possibility (lol).
Reply 8
A move to front office will definatly not happen if your stuck away from the action in places like settlements and clearing. But for desk assistants sitting with the traders all day everyday this is certainly possible. There were quite a few traders I saw who used to be desk assistants. They eventually begin to know the process thoroughly, build up relationships, suggest some ideas on how they have seen a way to make more money for the bank etc etc, given a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending