The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah you're in deep trouble, better start saving your money.
Reply 2
Most of the time, assuming that you got caught by a camera, it's £60 and 3 points on your license. The maximum penalty is £1000, 6 points and disqualification.
Reply 3
On a serious note if there was no traffic light camera (that are so rare that my city hasn't even got one) or any police then you're safe. The cameras usually on traffic lights are motion sensors that sense traffic. Suppose there is a tiny chance somebody grassed you up and there is CCTV which could prob get you done also.
I did this on a driving test.
Reply 5
Original post by Michaelj
On a serious note if there was no traffic light camera (that are so rare that my city hasn't even got one) or any police then you're safe. The cameras usually on traffic lights are motion sensors that sense traffic. Suppose there is a tiny chance somebody grassed you up and there is CCTV which could prob get you done also.

Alright, so not much chance then? Thanks, I'm just looking for reassurance really
dont worry man i hit red lights by accident many times especially when its on amber like just turning red i hit it on the red once it turns amber, so far nothing how many time i have done it around 50 to 80 times loool
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sclez1
Stupidest thing ever I know, feel like a moron. It was completely accidental, but I'm wondering if I might get points/a fine for it? What do you think the chances are of there being a camera on the light?

Thanks!

I am sorry to say I have done that twice to. Nothing came of it, but I am now a million times more careful!
Reply 8
I think you better just go and turn yourself in, they're onto you..
Reply 9
If there was an enforcement camera there, it would be big and yellow and quite difficult to miss. If you were caught by a police officer, they would have pulled you over as soon as it was safe/possible for them to do so. If someone reported you, they'd need good quality evidence that clearly showed your numberplate, so it's unlikely that you will get into any trouble unless there was a camera.

I see loads of people doing it. It's a lot worse when they go through while the other way's traffic lights are on green, almost causing a crash. Only seen that happen once or twice though.
Reply 10
Original post by sclez1
Stupidest thing ever I know, feel like a moron. It was completely accidental, but I'm wondering if I might get points/a fine for it? What do you think the chances are of there being a camera on the light?

Thanks!

Yes You're going to jail. Remember don't pick up the soap!
Reply 11
Death penalty for you!
Reply 12
Original post by NewFolder
If there was an enforcement camera there, it would be big and yellow and quite difficult to miss. If you were caught by a police officer, they would have pulled you over as soon as it was safe/possible for them to do so. If someone reported you, they'd need good quality evidence that clearly showed your numberplate, so it's unlikely that you will get into any trouble unless there was a camera.

I see loads of people doing it. It's a lot worse when they go through while the other way's traffic lights are on green, almost causing a crash. Only seen that happen once or twice though.

Only for speed or speed and traffic cameras. Cameras only for traffic light enforcement can be grey. They're not that common except on busy junctions though.
Reply 13
very very unlikely that you'll get in trouble. You should have noticed if there was a traffic light camera, it would a big grey thing that sorta looks like a speed camera, and you probably would have noticed the flash.

Though in all seriousness.....how did you accidently go through a red light.....you either went through purposefully or weren't paying attention....unless you tried to go throug on amber and weren't quick enough.

Would have felt more like a moron if you were involved in an accident.

You don't really have anything to worry about.
Reply 14
It's pretty unlikely anything will happen. Most lights don't have actual cameras on them - the things you see on top of the lights are traffic sensors. The lights that you can get fined for running generally have a big grey speed camera-esque camera on top of a pole a few metres away. Just to make it clear, I don't run red lights.
Reply 15
Original post by NewFolder

The enforcement cameras round lights round where I live aren't yellow like speed cameras, they're grey.
Reply 16
Original post by tufc
The enforcement cameras round lights round where I live aren't yellow like speed cameras, they're grey.

The one near where I live is yellow, but that's a combined traffic light and speed camera, so it has to be because of the speed bit
No policeman + no camera = no problem.

If there was a camera (unlikely tbh they are quite rare, usually only on very busy junctions) you probably would have noticed it, they are not exactly inconspicuous. Go back to the same lights and see, put your mind at rest.
Reply 18
Original post by sclez1

Thanks!

I did the same thing today. Did you get an FNP?
Original post by Greenlaner
No policeman + no camera = no problem.

Are you implying that it is ok to run red lights if there is no policeman or camera? :wink:

Latest