The Student Room Group

Anyone else agree the big bang theory is rubbish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Its not my type of comedy, but i'm not saying its rubbish. I generally don't really like American humour.
Original post by libwt
Can't stand that show!! Possibly not intellectual enough to get the humour!!

Lol it's the show that isn't intellectual enough... It's got ideas way above its station...
Reply 22
I find it quite funny.

What I find funnier is that most of the people that seem to hate it are some sort of meta-geek, who have to feel above anyone who likes TBBT, as if they outgeek them. It's quite pathetic. You can just not like a show without trying to be so smug and self-satisfied and assuming anyone that likes it is an idiot :fyi:
Reply 23
Original post by Mister Dead
Yes, it's rotten. Science in jokes and a riotous laughter track AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA at the end of each sentence AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH instructing you when to laugh LAUGH AT JOKE NOW AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA do not a comedy make. At last some of the other comedies that have employed such an invasive laughter track remembered to write a comedy to go with it.

They're real people - its a live audience.
Original post by libwt
Possibly not intellectual enough to get the humour!!

You don't need to be intellectual at all to watch it. If you've seen Two and a Half Men, the humour is quite similar, it has Chuck Lorre written all over it.

However, I still enjoy watching it, particularly as a migraine is dying down and I want to laugh a little without having to think.
Reply 25
Its ok, not something I would personally choose to watch though as I don't find it hilariously funny like other people seem to.
It's alright. I think it's maybe a bit overrated but I wouldn't say it's rubbish, it can be very funny at times. Maybe I just prefer British sitcoms though :dontknow: I could see how if you watched a lot of it the characters could start to grate :beard: I only watch it when other people are watching it tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
TBF: I think half its audience only watch it for Penny's tits.
Reply 28
Original post by py0alb
TBF: I think half its audience only watch it for Penny's tits.

S'all bout Amy.

:sexface:

:colone:
Original post by lightburns
It's not a laugh track, it's real people. American audiences are just annoying and loud.

You know what I mean. they edit that laughter for length and pitch and volume and it's ridiculous. It's probably worse than Seinfeld, but at least in Seinfel it was punctuating jokes.
I like the Big Bang Theory. At first when I saw it on TV I thought it would be a documentary, then after glancing over the show for a second, I thought that it was just another rubbish show, but after watching a full episode, I really enjoyed it.

The laugh track can get tedious, but most of the time the jokes/situations are funny to me and I laugh.
Reply 31
Original post by + polarity -

However, I still enjoy watching it, particularly as a migraine is dying down and I want to laugh a little without having to think.

That's how I feel about it as well. I don't really need to pay attention I can just drift in and out and get a few laughs. Simple light entertainment
It started off really, really well imo but it's getting too repetitive and going downhill now. They've run out of jokes and the character/plot development has been quite poor.
****ing terrible show, my mate actually said it was smart comedy. Really? That pile of steaming **** is smart comedy? It's just a comedy (a really **** one at that) about smart people.
Reply 34
The Big Bang theory isn't a paragon of American humour; not enjoying it myself, I don't count it as humour at all.
But you're wrong if you think American humour is less sophisticated and less enjoyable than British humour; Britain produces second (and worse) rate comedians and shows, America only produces second (and worse) rate shows.
Yes and no. It has its moments.
Reply 36
It's okay.
Especially when they have the automated audience laughter sound track everytime something happens.

That's the most annoying bit.
Original post by Mister Dead
Yes, it's rotten. Science in jokes and a riotous laughter track AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA at the end of each sentence AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH instructing you when to laugh LAUGH AT JOKE NOW AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA do not a comedy make. At last some of the other comedies that have employed such an invasive laughter track remembered to write a comedy to go with it.

You realise it's filmed in front of a live audience who are probably these days filled with fan boys and girls who just laugh at everything which is annoying but hey ho.

I have to say I do like it but it seems to have gone downhill over the last couple of series.
Original post by Notethis
The Big Bang theory isn't a paragon of American humour; not enjoying it myself, I don't count it as humour at all.
But you're wrong if you think American humour is less sophisticated and less enjoyable than British humour; Britain produces second (and worse) rate comedians and shows, America only produces second (and worse) rate shows.

America has been absolutely destroying us re. quantity and quality of comedy and drama shows for about a decade now, hasn't it.

The Big Bang theory doesn't fit into either of those categories. It's sub roseanne, cheers, home improvement, frasier, seinfeld etc etc

It's like Third Rock From the Sun but **** (poop) and without any jokes.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest