The Student Room Group

Anyone else agree the big bang theory is rubbish?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mister Dead
Yes, it's rotten. Science in jokes and a riotous laughter track AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA at the end of each sentence AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH instructing you when to laugh LAUGH AT JOKE NOW AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA do not a comedy make. At last some of the other comedies that have employed such an invasive laughter track remembered to write a comedy to go with it.

Should point out the laughter is real, they have live showings of TBBT
Reply 41
Original post by SleepySheep
You can't actually be serious.

My sorry attempt at being sarcastic :colondollar:
Its the only comedy with canned laughter that I can stomach. It may not be the funniest show but the characters are lovable and it has a good feel quality to it. That's why I really enjoy it. If I want proper lols, I'll watch The Inbetweeners.
It used to be really refreshing when it first came out, but now it is starting to get a little bit dry with the onslaught of girlfriends. I still watch it though, although it gets quite easy to guess the jokes coming up.
Reply 44
Original post by JDWhite1995
It's just corny. The jokes are rubbish. And don't get me started on the theme tune...

LOL that's my ringtone ^^
Reply 45
Original post by Pride
Maybe this will change your mind:

Classic

Too silly.
Reply 46
Some of the interactions between the characters are stellar, both Sheldon and Howard are hilarious but what brings it down for me the most is Leonard - he's whiny and annoying, and he looks a lot older than the rest of the cast... the actor looks about 45 off-stage. I cant love the show when I find the main character irritating, but I still enjoy it.
Reply 47
Original post by JDWhite1995
I hate it. Everyone I know likes it. Do you?

I hate you :angry:
Reply 48
Original post by Mister Dead
Yes, it's rotten. Science in jokes and a riotous laughter track AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA at the end of each sentence AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH instructing you when to laugh LAUGH AT JOKE NOW AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA do not a comedy make. At last some of the other comedies that have employed such an invasive laughter track remembered to write a comedy to go with it.

Big bang theory doesnt use a laughter track it has a live audience, its just that funny, people laugh so much :biggrin:
Reply 49
Easy to watch, light entertainment. Good enough for me to have on in the background and drift in and out of.
The fact it gets 14 million viewers an episode makes me rue society.

It's poorly stereotyped, hurtful cliched, nerd 'blackface'.

"Nintendo 64!"
*Laughtrack*
"Star trek reference"
*Laughtrack*

Most of the jokes seem to revolve around this voyeuristic notion that they're in their own little world that we are privvy too. "Look dear, the lonely nerd who lives with his grandmother talked about Super Mario! What an adorable creature!"

Go watch Community or Spaced for shows that don't treat 'geek' culture as a one dimensional farce.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by libwt
My sorry attempt at being sarcastic :colondollar:

Ohh haha. I did not pick up on that. My apologies :hat2:
I just don't think it's that funny, that clip on the first page didn't even make me smile.

Then again I might just be a miserable bastard.
Original post by Ruth94
Big bang theory doesnt use a laughter track it has a live audience, its just that funny, people laugh so much :biggrin:

Yes I think you're about the sixth person to say this. It's recorded live, take after take after take after take, with people whose job it is it to pump up and hype hype hype the audience. They signpost exactly when the laughter is required to the point that it's in no way a natural reaction. It's basically a laughter track. Then they edit it to suit their needs.

That's why people laugh that much. Because they're idiots. Bell rings... salivates
Reply 54
Original post by SleepySheep
Ohh haha. I did not pick up on that. My apologies :hat2:

No worries- it was a poor attempt to be fair :tongue:
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
I just don't think it's that funny, that clip on the first page didn't even make me smile.

Then again I might just be a miserable bastard.

Nah, you've got good taste in comedy.
I though for one second there they'd be some massive existential debate. Then I realized you were talking about the TV show. I used to watch it but I've slowly stopped. The American sitcom humor does get a little tedious after a while, especially with a laughter track.
Reply 57
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Original post by Pride
Maybe this will change your mind:

Classic

That's possibly the worst representation of the show. I actually like BBT but that clip is terribly unfunny. It literally plays into the stereotype of dim Americans laughing at the same thing over and over (and some more) again.

I do think it is slowly becoming a less funny geek show and into a more "Friends"esqe sitcom.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Not a fan personally. Plays far too much into "omg im a nerd lol!".

Unsophisticated teevee for hipsters.

A typical BBT fan.

Quick Reply

Latest