The Student Room Group

massively annoyed i never got the module i wanted- should i complain?

We had to sign up for modules at 8am yesterday, i logged in at 8:03 and the system was broken. I waited for about an hour and it didnt get fixed then i had to leave it until i got home. So i went back on at 11:30am by which time theyd fixed the system, and the module id been trying to sign up for was already full.

This was the only module i reallly really wanted to do. Have I got a basis for a complaint?
It's really annoying but I don't think making a complaint will make a difference. These things tend to happen when a lot of people try to use one system. It shouldn't happen, I know. There are probably a few people with the problem. Sorry you missed out. :frown:
Do it. My friend wanted to do a module which was already full but he asked the tutor if he could do it and he let him do it. So you should definitely go and ask them, especially since your reason is IMO legitimate.
Reply 3
I would kick off at that if it really was the system's fault. Even if it wasn't, I'd still insist on getting onto that module. You're paying for it after all. You want to enjoy your degree.
I would complain, see if it gets you anywhere. Worst case scenario: you end up where you are now. Just be nice about it and explain properly what happened instead of getting all angry about it.
I really like the system my department as implemented this year where the only module that we have with a student limit is running across both terms (its a half module, so you only do it for one term) and you apply for it in both terms with a second choice and the classes are drawn at random to see if you get it. Prevents against things like this happening.
Reply 5
Explain to your department that you attempted to sign up at 8:03 but the system was down. When telling them why you want to do the module say more than just "cos I really want to do it", explain exactly what it is about the module you like, be specific, if it relates to any future or postgrad plans then mention that, also mention any further reading you have done for it, or any strong marks in previous modules that are related to this module.

However, I don't like your chances. If they allow you to join the module this could open the door for many, many others who weren't able to sign up for the module(s) they wanted, thus causing an administrative nightmare.

These things happen unfortunately and departments make the fact that module caps exist and students aren't guaranteed to get the modules of their choice well known.
i went on again today and apparently ive now been accepted- yay :smile: phew thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending