Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Would You Ever Consider Euthanasia?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope in 20-30 years time it is legalized. I am scared of aging. I feel depressed when I see really old people with the loss of mobility and even worse, their mental faculties. Euthanasia is an issue most people don't think of because its so far down the line. I personally would consider it very strongly. Its better than working till i'm 75/80. Besides, chances are your likely to get cancer or some sort of horrible illness. I also don't trust there will be an NHS in the future.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I beg someone if I EVER get to a stage where I can't wipe my own ass, please, someone just put a gun to my head and pull the trigger. My grandmother died 3 years ago from TB and she got to such a state she was bed ridden for the last couple of years of her life. I wouldn't want to be seen like that ever and placed a burden on my family.

Also, if I ever require a life support machine and I don't respond after 3 months, someone pull the plug.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but perhaps by the time i'd consider such a predicament a threat debilitating illnesses like dementia will have been cured, I can only hope.

But before one says yes to this question, one must consider mortality. I'd like to get things straight on that front before such a literally ultimate decision.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamCorrect)
    I hope in 20-30 years time it is legalized. I am scared of aging. I feel depressed when I see really old people with the loss of mobility and even worse, their mental faculties. Euthanasia is an issue most people don't think of because its so far down the line. I personally would consider it very strongly. Its better than working till i'm 75/80. Besides, chances are your likely to get cancer or some sort of horrible illness. I also don't trust there will be an NHS in the future.
    Cancer is largely due to genetics and lifestyle.
    In my case, there has only been one case of cancer in my family and that is my grandfather, then again, he was smoking for at least a good 40 years and he died of pancreatic cancer, sadly, he quit when he learned he was due to have another grandchild and his daughter was living with him and he died about 4 years later.
    So, it is somewhat more likely you will die an old person in your bed at one stage in your life.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If my quality of life was compromised to a point where I no longer enjoyed anything, yes.
    My mum used to be a geriatric nurse and opposes euthanasia as she says that in her years of nursing and seeing people die, she only ever saw one 'bad' death (one that wasn't calm/peaceful) and that case was due to the fact that the patient was terrified of dying. I don't know what to make of this, but it's something to think about, I guess.

Dementia scares me so much, just losing control of my mental faculties. Argh. Elderly people make me so sad.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've considered it. I saw what happened to my great-gran when she had dementia. The idea of losing my independence and understanding of the world around me upsets me the most. I wouldn't want to live as a shell of my former self, whether I was physically or mentally incapacitated to an extreme level.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    After watching You Don't Know Jack, I'm not sure if I would consider it myself but I understand why other people would.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would far rather die with dignity than have my family remember me being a burden
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I had Alzheimers I'd rather commit euthanasia.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would definitely consider it. If I end up with Alzheimer's or some other degenerative disease then I hope that euthanasia will be an option. It is downright cruel to make someone to die a slow and painful death instead of letting them choose to die without suffering.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For you? I probably would.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I learnt how to make a noose. I was actually just procrastinating, not planning suicide or anything. Just thought I'd share that with you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I agree, in cases like this I am compeltely for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantal_S%C3%A9bire
    I don't think England would ever allow it anytime soon though
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    My grandmother had dementia for eight years. Throughout the majority of that time, my mother was a full-time carer for her, and for the last four years or so, my mother basically had to do everything for my gran, getting only a week or two of respite a year.

My grandmother died at the age of 88 because she forgot how to swallow and therefore found it extremely difficult to consume anything. Although my mother was of course very sad when she died, there was that sense of relief, as well.

I'd hate to ever end up in the same state as my grandmother. My mother was happy enough to look after her- after all, it was her mother, and she herself had looked after my mother very well when she was growing up- my mother was born deaf, and without my grandmother ensuring that she went to the best school possible and encouraging her to do as much as she could with her life without her deafness holding her back, I don't think my mother would have been as successful as she was. However, it meant that my mother didn't have much of a life for over half a decade, and seeing her own mother slowly deteriorating like that...

In short, yes, I support euthanasia. If I ever got into a remotely similar state, I think I'd rather die. You're not even the same person anymore- you're just a body with a deteriorating brain. Any sense of who my grandmother was was gone several years before she died.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I won't let myself get to a point where I must rely on someone else to do it for me. I won't wait that long. That sounds really morbid but, you know what I mean? If I'm told I've got dementia or something then I'll just get it done myself, rather than deteriorate and rely on other people to help me.

Obviously, if I had a terrible accident then I would hope that someone would do it, or take me somewhere that could.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being dead doesn't scare me, but there are various ways of dying which do. So yeah, given a choice I would choose to go out in a peaceful, orderly and relatively dignified fashion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If there's no reason for me to continue to live, I don't want to continue to live. I don't want to just live for the sake of being alive and breathing.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    if i ever got to the state where live has no dignity someone please show mercy and shoot me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be a laugh.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.