The Student Room Group

I don't think I am clever enough for Bath Uni

I am predicted 'Distinction, Distinction' in my BTEC and a B grade in my A Level. When applying for Uni's I applied to Bath. I did not think I would get in but I thought I might as well apply there just in case I do better than expected when I get my final grades.

Surprisingly Bath accepted me and I would like to put the Uni as my firm since it has a great reputation etc. However, I am worried that everyone would be a lot more intelligent than me at Bath and I would struggle. Even though I am predicted good grades at College, the BTEC's are a joke and the A Level I am doing does not involve you being clever.... you have just got to remember loads of definitions!

I do not see myself as clever. At GCSE's I got mainly C's with a few B's, but somehow I am just doing pretty well at College (probably because the subjects I am doing are 'weaker' subjects).

So I am extremely surprised that Bath accepted me and I am worried that if I were to go there I would struggle with the work content, and compared to everyone else I would be the 'thicko'.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
If you are predicted 'Distinction' and a B grade and you have been accepted by Bath Uni, then clearly they think that you can do the work. I can't see you having a problem with it and no one would call you a "thicko" because nobody knows anything about your previous education history or grades unless you tell them about it. As long as you work hard and have faith in yourself then you will be able to do the work.
Reply 3
If you want to go to Bath, then go! Who cares whether you think you are smart or not?

I applied to Sussex and picked them as firm. Typically, they want all As from their students, but made an exception for me by letting me have a couple of Bs.

Who knows, you could become smarter at uni!
Reply 4
They didn't accept you because they thought you would struggle. You're right in saying that BTECs are weaker, but it doesn't mean YOU'RE weaker, just maybe made a duff decision a few years ago. Also, GCSEs are YEARS ago. My GCSEs weren't great (few As, Bs and Cs) but I went on to do well at college and now even better at degree level.

A lot of University work is independent, but they offer you support in the form of skills classes etc, that I advise you go to. A lot of people struggle to adjust to the methods of Uni work, like the essay writing, researching etc.

What subject?
Reply 5
Conks mate, just do one of these and see where it takes you. The worst -case scenario is having a peculiarity in your noggin. Bath has the royal crescent, where you can go around in circles until you are dizzy. Good luck :smile:
Slightly confused as to why this is in mental health...

But I'd say go for it. Bath uni knows what sort of person will do well there, and from your application form, they think you will fit in.
You can't assume or imagine what it'll be like, so there's no point in worrying about it til you're there. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by xHuStLeR23
Conks mate, just do one of these and see where it takes you. The worst -case scenario is having a peculiarity in your noggin. Bath has the royal crescent, where you can go around in circles until you are dizzy. Good luck :smile:

Thanks although I don't know what you mean when you say 'conks'
Reply 8
Original post by Hearty_Beast
Slightly confused as to why this is in mental health...

But I'd say go for it. Bath uni knows what sort of person will do well there, and from your application form, they think you will fit in.
You can't assume or imagine what it'll be like, so there's no point in worrying about it til you're there. :smile:

It is in the mental health category because I would like to write anonymously and in theory it could lead to mental health problems if I make the wrong choice and I am unhappy etc (so it kinda does relate to this category a little).

And thanks for the advice!
Reply 9
BTW you're not anon anymore!
Reply 10
Original post by hcam
I applied to Sussex and picked them as firm. Typically, they want all As from their students, but made an exception for me by letting me have a couple of Bs.

I'm in my third year at Warwick despite getting truly shoddy A levels, definitely below the course requirement.

I am definitely not the least intelligent person on the course.

There is a world of difference between how you perform during A levels/BTECs/whatever at 17 and how you do at uni - it is a completely different kettle of fish.
OP: If they pick you, they clearly like you well enough, so you should just go if you want to!
Original post by georgia
I'm in my third year at Warwick despite getting truly shoddy A levels, definitely below the course requirement.

There is a world of difference between how you perform during A levels/BTECs/whatever at 17 and how you do at uni - it is a completely different kettle of fish.
OP: If they pick you, they clearly like you well enough, so you should just go if you want to!

Exactly. I did really badly in my A Levels (D's and C's) but I'm getting first's at uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by georgia

Honestly this is so true. I wish I had a little more faith in my abilities back in sixth form. I still remember that sinking feeling when my tutor told me I 'had to be more realistic', since I was predicted ABB.

Had I just applied to some higher places, perhaps UCL and Kings, they might have seen my PS and liked it. Every university I applied to gave me an offer within two weeks, and I really wish I just aimed a little higher.

But I was like you, OP. I thought I was too dumb to do a maths degree at any uni, let alone a top uni... hell, I thought I was dumb generally so I tried to avoid places that asked me for an interview because I was scared they'd see me and reject me.

Now that I'm in my final year of uni, I'm one of the top 5 in the year and I constantly wonder what it would have been like had I just applied. Life would be very different. I did the same thing with masters applications since I was in two minds about doing a masters or not, but had I just applied I could have been sitting here with offers from one of the best unis in the world.

TL;DR: Have a little more faith, you don't want to sit there regretting the things you didn't do... like me.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks although I don't know what you mean when you say 'conks'

LOL
If you're going to spend your years there comparing yourself to the other students then you're going to be pretty miserable for sure.

I'm definitely the "thicko" in my course, I'm the least intelligent person but I just try to get on with it and scrape by.
Reply 15
Original post by MrHappy_J
If you're going to spend your years there comparing yourself to the other students then you're going to be pretty miserable for sure.

I'm definitely the "thicko" in my course, I'm the least intelligent person but I just try to get on with it and scrape by.

Agree with this. You can't compare yourself to others, it's a tremendous waste of your time. Use that energy to do something more constructive like working hard to make sure you take in all the work and get everything done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending