The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ok thanks for clearing that up!
Liam Deakin
I am going to be starting my A levels in September and am really looking forward to it! My future subject choices are (thanks to some advice earlier on) listed below in order of predicted preference. That is to say, what I think i'll like the most down to what i'll like the 'least'.

History

Drama

Geography

English Literature

Can you list your subjects in the order you like them? What are your favourites?
:smile:

Chemistry - wow, just amazing the thigns you learn

Biology - ditto

Physics - everyone needs physics as physics is everywhere

IT AVCE - crap, all you do is type long and pointless reports
German :biggrin::biggrin: - is the best language ever !!!!!
Biology :biggrin:- is fascinating wen we actually get taught!!
French :smile: - I love the language .. but dnt get on with 1 of my teachers
Chemistry :angry: IS HELL ON EARTH Salters is sooooooo rubbish!!!!
Reply 43
Physics - I just find the things we learn in this fascinating.

Maths - Nice challenge, plus it helps with Physics.

Music - I enjoy the performing and analytical aspects... not much of a composer though. :smile:

Chemistry - Mixed opinions about this. I tend to enjoy the calculations and thermodynamics, but learning lists of equations, patterns, tests, and mechanisms isn't that exciting. :smile:

Critical Thinking - Taking all four exams in the summer with a couple of lessons a week... bit nervous about this one! However, I've enjoyed the lessons so far.

General Studies - Lessons were dire and were in no way related to the exam questions we actually answered! Thankfully I got this over and done with in the January exams. :biggrin:
Psychology- really interesting and I enjoy it, a lot of work though and a bit scientific/mathematical in places and essay writing skills are needed.

Philosophy & Ethics- Despite how hard it is (contrary to popular belief it is a very challenging subject and not just learning about 'God and stuff' which is a common misconception) I really enjoy it, learning about different viewpoints is fascinating.

English Literature- Depending on the set texts given it can be a very enjoyable subject, I love Hamlet and the poetry I studied for the last unit and the novel 'The Return of the Native' is growing on me, thought it quite boring to begin with but a lot of symbolism and such can be drawn from it. The workload is very challenging though.

History- I didn't do this at GCSE and only took it to make up a fourth AS Level. The topics we cover are boring, but despite me hating all the work we did on the unification of Italy I ended up getting an A in the unit, which was suprising. Depending on overall results for AS levels I'm considering dropping the subject next year.

Oh and General Studies is just a huge waste of time but it's mandatory at my school.
Best to worst:

Sociology
Law
(big gap)
History
Physics
Reply 46
Law (I love it!)
Maths (it's challenging and i like it)
Economics(i do like it a lot)
Biology (it is just interesting)

Actually I am doing those 4 Alevels because I like all four of them and cannot imagine doing something else... though I am thinking of taking Critical Thinking as well next year.
Physics and Maths...(followed very closely) by Chemsitry...

Biology, on the other hand.....
Reply 48
Maths and English Lit - Both are interesting, and life without them would be dull!!
Business Studies and Psychology- I can't really distinguish which I like better out of these two...
Stats and Ecology yeah!
All my ASs! :p:
Reply 51
I think I would enjoy my subjects more if I could just go home and teach it to myself at my own pace. I hate having to churn out pages of answers to questions which are tedious by themselves before you get to the fact that each one is all but identical to the last. :p:

Today in my further maths class, at least two people didn't understand simple manipulation of surds (they couldn't see why 322=22\frac{\sqrt{32}}{2} = 2\sqrt{2}). It's an embarrassment, tbh. We end up being taught each topic twice because half the class doesn't understand it the first time. :rolleyes:

Meh, it's not that bad. I do enjoy all my subjects, irrespective of such annoyances.
I really like Psychology at the moment, it's dead interesting and I like it more than my other AS's which are ICT, English Language, Film Studies and General Studies.
Reply 53
F.Maths- So hard, but fun
Maths- Easy and fun
CHem- Exciting at times
Phys- easy but boring
Reply 54
I actually find all my subejcts equally interesting, but due to my deteste for certain classes (classmates, teacher, organisation), it is in the following order:

1) Biology - The class is very active in discussion, the teacher is fun and the topics are fascinating. The only criticism is the dis-organisation of practicals.
2) French - I love this subject out of college more, after a year of AS french Im a official francophile.
3) English Lit - Some classes can be boring but I like the subjective debates. The coursework is also not too stressful to do as I like waffling on about philosophy and, reading books.
4) Politics - I find the content exhausting and the revision tedious but the class is very active in debates and the teacher is not afraid to express his contraversial obsessions, ie-communism
5) Economics - The class is full of idiots who don't bring their books, throw paper around and turn up 1hour late. The teacher is theory-based and spends lessons spoon fielding and dictacting notes to us. As a subject, I find some of the theories very impractical in real life terms.
6) Classics -
My fave is French, but not because of the lessons. The content on our syllabus is so dry and boring, even worse than GCSE.
Reply 56
Chemistry - Brilliant subject, you always learn something new
Physics - ditto
History - Quite a lot of interesting stuff
Maths - It's ok, stats is awful though
Biology - It couldn't possibly be any more dull if it tried.
German - I love this subject, I find the topics we study really interesting (even though some may call it PSHE in a foreign language :wink:) and I like the fact that we are doing something a bit more challenging than GCSE (which really bored me). The only drawback is the class, who still seems to be hovering around foundation GCSE level :rolleyes:

Biology - a lot of people seem to find Bio dull, but it's my favourite science, probably because it teaches you a lot about life. Even rather tedious things like sugar structures etc I find really good.

Maths - I like it when I can do the questions but I start to detest it when I can't :p: I especially loathe Statistics. Core is okay though.

Chem - I don't not like it but it seems a bit... dull at the moment. Probably because all we're doing seem to be titrations after another...
Reply 58
miltonkeynes
My fave is French, but not because of the lessons. The content on our syllabus is so dry and boring, even worse than GCSE.

Just wait until second year, it picks up, trust me. :wink:
im not going to list them all because im still doing gcse's
but my fav is spanish and my least favourite is business studies

Latest

Trending

Trending