The Student Room Group

Sexism In Night Clubs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Evangelica
I agree with most people on here that it's degrading to girls and unfair on guys. Nevertheless, to all the guys complaining about women choosing when they want equality, I hope you understand that the decision to have a 'girls go free' rule at some clubs is predominantly carried out by a male owner, not a female one. I think both sexes are responsible for making this an undesirable rule for a club to have by boycotting said clubs if they don't support the rule. The rule exists to generate more customers - if that's reversed, then the rule will become ridiculous and unattractive from a business perspective to have.

Don't see why this makes it less sexist?

The rule exists to generate more customers - if that's reversed, then the rule will become ridiculous and unattractive

Women will generally go out regardless. I won't argue that it won't attract MORE women, but the need for equality outweighs any arguments about profitability.
Reply 81
Original post by theonefrombrum
Maybe it's because on nights out women have to face constant flirting, or attempts at it, from ugly guys and are constantly being made to feel self aware and conscious as guys constantly stare at them and try to make moves, so just for that added pressure they deserve to get in for free.

You know that this reasoning is idiotic. Don't act the white knight online, it won't get you anywhere.
Reply 82
Original post by Kiss
I've noticed some clubs in Edinburgh offer free entry to girls. Infact someone on my facebook made a status about it which created a lot of discussion.

She was assured that this 'treated her as an object' and was unequal to her. Some other people posted on her status saying 'You get in for free, what are you complaining about?' and 'Take what you can get, life isn't cheap' etc.

Personally I think she totally ignored that was probably more sexist to men as they have to pay to get in.

What do you think? And have you noticed similar situations?

Also, do you think the whole 'night club scene' is degrading to women?

Discuss.

I didn't know degrading policies like that were still current, I thought they were more the preserve of gender-polarised environments like really posh clubs and Europe.

Women who choose to have integrity as a feminist will feel patronised. Men, on the other hand, should feel every inch the subject of sexual discrimination: not only do they have to pay on the door, they're also supposed to buy the girls their drinks inside!

Men shouldn't have to pay more than women for anything now that men's and women's earning potential has become equalised.

The only winners are those women who prefer to take advantage of society's current gender bias. Then again, I suppose, they do pay for it when in the club, as clubs like this are likely to be full of the sort of men who hassle them inveterately.
Reply 83
Original post by Arekkusu
I didn't know degrading policies like that were still current, I thought they were more the preserve of gender-polarised environments like really posh clubs and Europe.

Women who choose to have integrity as a feminist will feel patronised. Men, on the other hand, should feel every inch the subject of sexual discrimination: not only do they have to pay on the door, they're also supposed to buy the girls their drinks inside!

Men shouldn't have to pay more than women for anything now that men's and women's earning potential has become equalised.

The only winners are those women who prefer to take advantage of society's current gender bias. Then again, I suppose, they do pay for it when in the club, as clubs like this are likely to be full of the sort of men who hassle them inveterately.

That happens to be a lot of women unfortunately.....
Maybe it's because on nights out women have to face constant flirting, or attempts at it, from ugly guys and are constantly being made to feel self aware and conscious as guys constantly stare at them and try to make moves, so just for that added pressure they deserve to get in for free.

I don't think club owners give a toss about the pressures and problems of their female customers or any of their customers. Everything is for the purpose of profit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
You know that this reasoning is idiotic. Don't act the white knight online, it won't get you anywhere.

Do me a favour and take your arrogant self back to a book. What about this reasoning is idiotic? If you're going to make a statement then make a claim either refuting it or making an arguement against it, don't just assume that vehemently criticising something will suffice as a arguement in itself because it makes you look like a clown.

I've been clubbing many times and I've witnessed first hand how for women a night out can be a lot more of a challenge than it is for a male. If I was a woman I would think 'why should I pay to get constantly leered at and groped' and it's a ****ing valid reason to let them in for free, even if it isn't the genuine reason that clubs do it.
Reply 86
Original post by Kiss
I've noticed some clubs in Edinburgh offer free entry to girls. Infact someone on my facebook made a status about it which created a lot of discussion.

She was assured that this 'treated her as an object' and was unequal to her. Some other people posted on her status saying 'You get in for free, what are you complaining about?' and 'Take what you can get, life isn't cheap' etc.

Personally I think she totally ignored that was probably more sexist to men as they have to pay to get in.

What do you think? And have you noticed similar situations?

Also, do you think the whole 'night club scene' is degrading to women?

Discuss.

Yeah, clearly the more obvious discrimination is one sex having to pay and the other not having to. You have to go another step to argue that it's hurting women, and then you can't ignore that it's hurt men so really you should mention both in the same sentence than focusing on just women.
Original post by Arekkusu

In this system, the male will always win in the end. Capitalism takes the commodities and spits them back out when they are no use. Once she gets old and looses her youth and gets worn out because of booze, drugs, etc she's of not much use to the club anymore. They'll just get some fresh meat in there. No man wants a haggered club slut.

I've been clubbing many times and I've witnessed first hand how for women a night out can be a lot more of a challenge than it is for a male. If I was a woman I would think 'why should I pay to get constantly leered at and groped' and it's a ****ing valid reason to let them in for free, even if it isn't the genuine reason that clubs do it.

Free entry for women and not for men promotes excessive alcohol consuption amongst women, turns them and sex into a commodity and can send a dangerous message to women and makes men look like trouble and potential predators. I mean I saw a group of women throwing up all over an small independent shop yesterday and they were literally on the floor, ruining and making a mess of the city. I don't feel sorry for these women. All the white knighting is pathetic.

Alcohol related accidents involving women are high, violence and anti-social behaviour involving women are high, more people are being sent to hospital with alcohol related problems which can have long term implications.

Make women pay like everyone else. Times have changed. More women are graduating from university these days and are earning more than their predecessors have, in some cases they earn more than the man. The women really aren't getting in for free anyway. They'll be paying a ****load on cocktails and spirits+mixers

If women don't like being groped then they should speak with their feet and money. Maybe real difference would be made. Chivalry sucks, is sexist and it should die.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by jblackmoustache
The women really aren't getting in for free anyway. They'll be paying a ****load on cocktails and spirits+mixers

Not if they take advantage of their generous situation and manage to get guys to buy it for them.
Original post by Kiss
Not if they take advantage of their generous situation and manage to get guys to buy it for them.

Quite a few guys are wising up these days thanks to various information sources.
Reply 90
Original post by Kiss
That happens to be a lot of women unfortunately.....

I don't agree, I think the vast majority of them are nice, perfectly non-exploitative people. Though it's probable that the sort who go to clubs are more exploitative on average.
Original post by dgeorge
Don't see why this makes it less sexist?

Women will generally go out regardless. I won't argue that it won't attract MORE women, but the need for equality outweighs any arguments about profitability.

It doesn't make it less sexist and essentially you're highlighting exactly what my point is; the rule is sexist towards men but in the same fell swoop is carried out by men, and endorsed by men who still frequent these clubs. I think it's right that men view it as unfair towards them, but at the same time, I think it's important that they realise that essentially addressing the problem is in their hands and it's not women who are trying to make them suffer this inequality.
Original post by Kiss
One of the four clubs I was mentioning is owned by a female.

Precisely as I said, the rule is predominantly carried out by a male owner. Even if it was a reliable representation of the male:female club owner ratio, a 75% implementation of the rule by men certainly shows that it's not mostly women causing guys to suffer this inequality, it's mostly other men.
Original post by jblackmoustache
In this system, the male will always win in the end. Capitalism takes the commodities and spits them back out when they are no use. Once she gets old and looses her youth and gets worn out because of booze, drugs, etc she's of not much use to the club anymore. They'll just get some fresh meat in there. No man wants a haggered club slut.

Free entry for women and not for men promotes excessive alcohol consuption amongst women, turns them and sex into a commodity and can send a dangerous message to women and makes men look like trouble and potential predators. I mean I saw a group of women throwing up all over an small independent shop yesterday and they were literally on the floor, ruining and making a mess of the city. I don't feel sorry for these women. All the white knighting is pathetic.

Alcohol related accidents involving women are high, violence and anti-social behaviour involving women are high, more people are being sent to hospital with alcohol related problems which can have long term implications.

Make women pay like everyone else. Times have changed. More women are graduating from university these days and are earning more than their predecessors have, in some cases they earn more than the man. The women really aren't getting in for free anyway. They'll be paying a ****load on cocktails and spirits+mixers

If women don't like being groped then they should speak with their feet and money. Maybe real difference would be made. Chivalry sucks, is sexist and it should die.

Stop using arguements which sound like they could be true to prove an unclear point expertly disguised as a silly rant. No, free entry doesn't promote excessive alcohol consumption, that's just a ridiculous notion. If a woman saves £5 By not having to pay to get into a club, she's not going to then decide to go and get hammered and buy more alcohol than what she intended to buy in the first place. And even if this premise was true, the nightclubs would likely still allow free entry as the woman who then buy more alcohol, say £17 more due to a saving of £17 in entry fees, are then more likely to exceed the £17 as when they're drunk they want as much as possible. Remember, the nightclubs are in it for the money, they aren't there to help right social wrongs. But this isn't true and no amount of entry fees will induce a woman who planned to stay sober go and get pissed.

If you genuinely believe that free entry turns women and sex into a commodity then I'm convinced that you are still drunk after taking advantage of a shots for a pound deal at the weekend. It gets them in the door, it gets men in the door who are often there to try and pull, which alone further justifies men having to pay to get in. It makes sense that seeing as men have more reason and incentives to go on a night out, they should be charged where woman shouldn't, it's not sexist at all. The whole dynamic for most men and women on a night out is completely different and if you can't accept or are unaware about this then stop trying to be a moral hero and commenting on it.

Yeah some women will act like that; many won't. Just get over it and realise that those types of girls are the exception to the rule, it doesn't mean that all women should be charged in order to prevent it happening (which it won't anyway, don't you know?).

Wtf does that mean? Honestly, explain what you meant by your feet and money line because to me it makes no sense. Just stop being such a equality tool, it's just boring to hear how you think chivalry is stupid, to me that's just a sad indictment of the mindset of many of today's over read and unjust youth, who feel that they have to oppose something just for the sake of it. Don't tell me, you think that there should be an equal pressure on women to protect men and you feel that the existence of mens only sports is sooooo sexist?
(edited 11 years ago)
The girls must have their legs and arms covered. Many times I see too much

Wtf does that mean? Honestly, explain what you meant by your feet and money line because to me it makes no sense. Just stop being such a equality tool, it's just boring to hear how you think chivalry is stupid, to me that's just a sad indictment of the mindset of many of today's over read and unjust youth, who feel that they have to oppose something just for the sake of it. Don't tell me, you think that there should be an equal pressure on women to protect men and you feel that the existence of mens only sports is sooooo sexist?

Equality is a pretty important characteristic of modern society though. I'm not sure why this sort of discrimination is acceptable, whereas other forms would be completely unacceptable.

As I said earlier, let's pretend a nightclub lets white people in for free, and makes black people pay. Is that OK? It obviously isn't, because it is discriminating against black people. Just like the policy described in the OP is discriminating against men.
Reply 96
Original post by Evangelica
Precisely as I said, the rule is predominantly carried out by a male owner. Even if it was a reliable representation of the male:female club owner ratio, a 75% implementation of the rule by men certainly shows that it's not mostly women causing guys to suffer this inequality, it's mostly other men.

That is a brilliant word which many people seem to use and I'm glad you did instead of trying to generalise. Instead you're trying to sweep the whole issue away. Regardless of which sex creates the inequality, it is still an inequality to men. Doesn't change anything.
Original post by Kiss
That is a brilliant word which many people seem to use and I'm glad you did instead of trying to generalise. Instead you're trying to sweep the whole issue away. Regardless of which sex creates the inequality, it is still an inequality to men. Doesn't change anything.

I'm not trying to sweep the problem away at all. See my first post. I just think that instead of whining about 'women choosing when they want equality' and still going to these sexist clubs, said guys could...y'know... just stop going to these clubs. It destroys the clubs' whole purpose of maintaining these policies. Get what I'm saying?
Chivalry is dumb. Society changes and you can't ignore that. Chivalry is backwards conservative crap. It's incompatible with todays world. The placing of all women on a pedstal is retarded.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 99
What's the fuss about? Who loses from this arrangement apart from die-hard feminists who want to make a point for the sake of it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending