The Student Room Group

Architecture universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SanCloud
Haha, well, since I've made Notts by first choice, I pretty much HAVE to go there now (I already have the grades). :-)
Oh! I just assumed they ran into the uni park all week! Oops! Oh well, I'll manage, ha!
I know, I haven't touched any for ages either but now that I'm technically 'free' (my foundation has finished), I think I'm gonna go ahead and have a massive catch up, spoil myself. :-) Sucks that everyone else is still at uni and not free! D:

Ah I can't wait until I finish. I have two weeks left before I can finally relax.
Reply 21
Original post by msas1
yep, i have an unconditional offer for first year from the aa. and my interview was complete disaster too. yeah, the financial issues at the aa are a major put off, but i talked to some people who were there on scholarship, and they said it wasn't that bad. i'm not particularly poor, but coming from eastern europe it would be impossible to pay all that money, so now all my hope is in their eastern european scholarship (andrew szmidlia bequest). i indicated both in my application and at the interview, that there's virtually no way of my studying there without their financial aid, so i guess they wouldn't have accepted me unconditionally if they didn't consider me for a scholarship (the admissions panel supported my application). fingers crossed now. normally i wouldn't want a school this bad, but their approach to architecture, and the teaching is amazing!
i guess i would be happy at csm too, and i could still go to a different school for part 2.
today was my ucas deadline too, i declined cambridge, and firmed csm. i don't have insurance, because csm's condition being really easy it wouldn't have made sense, besides if in the end i could go to the aa, it will be easier to decline only one school :smile: keep me updated!

Oh, cool, which Eastern European country? :-)
I know, I also told them that I wouldn't be able to attend without a scholarship. I had a really mean man on the interview panel that was asking me ridiculous questions and all my friends said that they weren't really questioned at all! (just things like, 'what will you do over the summer?', etc) so I feel like it's a bit unfair since my interview seemed a lot more difficult than theirs was. I had my interview 2 weeks ago and it's bothering me that they take so long to reply, hmph! Yeah, CSM's conditions are really low. I don't think the AA gives conditional offers? I've never heard of anyone being offered a conditional, in any case.
Would be so awesome if the two of us got scholarships at the AA! :-D If not, I don't mind going to Nottingham (I'm pretty excited about it actually - I made it my firm).
Reply 22
Original post by chenman27
Ah I can't wait until I finish. I have two weeks left before I can finally relax.

I can't imagine the stress you must be going through right now, having to complete everything on time, etc! Best of luck, man :-D After the two weeks can you leave or do you have to stay at the uni until the results are published?
Reply 23
Oh, cool, which Eastern European country? :-)
I know, I also told them that I wouldn't be able to attend without a scholarship. I had a really mean man on the interview panel that was asking me ridiculous questions and all my friends said that they weren't really questioned at all! (just things like, 'what will you do over the summer?', etc) so I feel like it's a bit unfair since my interview seemed a lot more difficult than theirs was. I had my interview 2 weeks ago and it's bothering me that they take so long to reply, hmph! Yeah, CSM's conditions are really low. I don't think the AA gives conditional offers? I've never heard of anyone being offered a conditional, in any case.
Would be so awesome if the two of us got scholarships at the AA! :-D If not, I don't mind going to Nottingham (I'm pretty excited about it actually - I made it my firm).

hungary. technically it's central eastern europe, but from their point of view it's the same:smile: my interview was really weird, they kept asking me about what i like to do in my spare time. and my favourite 'why do you want to become an architect'. if you received a scholarship would you choose the aa? i think that even with the financial hardships the unit system and their reputation is worth it. good luck to you! (do you know if they want a new portfolio for the scholarship committee, or they review the one i left there after the interview?)
Reply 24
I can't imagine the stress you must be going through right now, having to complete everything on time, etc! Best of luck, man :-D After the two weeks can you leave or do you have to stay at the uni until the results are published?

We aren't obligated to stay but we have to be contactable in case there are any problems so technically you're not allowed to go on holiday and stuff but many people do. We also have to come back for the end of the year to get results, see degree show, do some sort of development day etc etc.
Reply 25
Original post by msas1
hungary. technically it's central eastern europe, but from their point of view it's the same:smile: my interview was really weird, they kept asking me about what i like to do in my spare time. and my favourite 'why do you want to become an architect'. if you received a scholarship would you choose the aa? i think that even with the financial hardships the unit system and their reputation is worth it. good luck to you! (do you know if they want a new portfolio for the scholarship committee, or they review the one i left there after the interview?)

Erm, I think if they gave me a scholarship I would choose the AA, yes. It's a massive opportunity and I quite like it there too, plus I already live in London so I don't have to compromise on space (y'know how artistic mess expands!) :-P For the scholarship I think they expect a 'better' portfolio, if they gave you any tips on changes you should make, you should definitely apply them and then submit an updated portfolio. :-) Btw, check out some of CSM's new accommodation... almost makes me wish I didn't decline the place! http://newsevents.arts.ac.uk/29209/sneak-peek-into-uals-newest-student-accommodation/ and http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/halls/find-hall/costume-store/
Btw, have you realised that everyone at the AA uses apple products? I'm gonna have to get myself a mac otherwise it may be awkward with using the software, following lectures on programs, etc.
Reply 26
We aren't obligated to stay but we have to be contactable in case there are any problems so technically you're not allowed to go on holiday and stuff but many people do. We also have to come back for the end of the year to get results, see degree show, do some sort of development day etc etc.

Mmm, I see. Ooo, when is your end of year Architecture show? I'd like to come have a look at the standard/expectations - all that stuff. :-)
Reply 27
Mmm, I see. Ooo, when is your end of year Architecture show? I'd like to come have a look at the standard/expectations - all that stuff. :-)

I think it's on and around the 21st June. Not sure about the details really, waiting for some magazine to release some list so that I could go to some.
Reply 28
Haha, well, since I've made Notts by first choice, I pretty much HAVE to go there now (I already have the grades). :-)
Oh! I just assumed they ran into the uni park all week! Oops! Oh well, I'll manage, ha!
I know, I haven't touched any for ages either but now that I'm technically 'free' (my foundation has finished), I think I'm gonna go ahead and have a massive catch up, spoil myself. :-) Sucks that everyone else is still at uni and not free! D:

That's a right decision. Always go with the first decision. I used to go by my first decisions always but i thought i was making mistakes and hence i've started analyzing stuffs before making any decision and know what's my current decision making capability? decision-paralytics. Unable to make any decisions and so i'll go with my first decision with frustrations from all other decision. Lol! We are a kinda people instincts work better than analytics :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
I am currently studying at Nottingham, out of the five you mentioned I only applied here.

I also took a foundation year but at Ravensbourne and if CSM is anything like it, I guess it is because the course is marked by UAL, then it basically follows a similar pattern but obviously with more detail and more criteria to fill.

I chose Nottingham because I liked that their course didn't veer towards being extremely arty or technical, that it had a strong focus on environmental design, the course reputation, the university's reputation, the international links it has (with campuses in Malaysia and China) and the studios (which at the time of accepting I thought were great, now not so much).

The campus is definitely very pretty, the best out of the ones I chose, but it didn't factor highly in my decision. One thing that I do not like is the size of the year group, there are simply too many people for the spaces we are allocated.

The course itself is, in my opinion, a good mix of art and technicality though does lean slightly towards practicality rather than the fanciful designs some courses prefer.

How many years will you study in Nottingham??
As I saw their wedsite that a minimum of 7 years for architecture, is that ture???
Reply 30
Original post by 88888
How many years will you study in Nottingham??
As I saw their wedsite that a minimum of 7 years for architecture, is that ture???

I will first do my Part 1 then decide whether I want to do my Part 2 at Nottingham or even do Part 2 at all. Basically you need to do; Part 1, which is three years; take a year out; Part 2 which is usually two years; take another year out; and then take Part 3 exams so it does take at least 7 years to become a qualified architect though normally it takes longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending