Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

think I have tonsilitis- worth bothering the nurse again

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014

Last November I got a really sore throat that ended up lasting until after Christmas. I had white spots all over my tonsils and they were inflamed. I spent 2 weeks unable to eat and could only drink small amounts of water. The result of this was that I was technically underweight. I saw a nurse (the surgery I'm with refused to let me see a doctor about it since I got a day appointment) after a month and she basically told me that I was wasting her time and was trying to get time off school. This isn't true, I didn't miss any school and the appointment was after school! I refuse to miss school since in in year 13 and needs As to get into uni!

At the same appointment I mentioned that I'd had a cough for a month that wasn't getting better (turns out my allergic asthma has now started to affect me all year, though I only found this out a few weeks ago) and that I kept losing my voice. In hindsight I should have written stuff down but I didn't. She listened to my chest but basically told me I had a cold and should not have got an appointment! I'm 18 so I guess she just goes by the idea that all teenagers are idiots who try to skip school and waste time, none of them are really ill.

Anyway, I was left with lots of indentations on my tonsils. Today I've had an awfully bad sore throat, but I can still eat soft food, and it's getting worse. Some of the indentations are turning into white spots again. I rand NHS direct in November and they said then that this was tonsilitis. I don't want to waste the nurses time but at the same time I have exams in two weeks and cannot afford to not eat.

I don't know whether to go or not (obviously I'll give it a week or two first). I started using a steroid inhaler which apparently can cause a sore throat, so maybe it's that?

Anyway, what I'm asking is should I just ignore it and stop moaning or should I go? I've seen the asthma nurse and a doctor in the past 8 weeks about asthma so I've had my fair share of appointments and there are loads of people who need the appointments more than me!

Thanks

anyone???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd go and get it checked out - better to sort it out quickly if it is tonsillitis.

I had a sore throat/I was unable to talk on and off for about six months last year and when I eventually went to the doctors (I'm not a fan of docs haha) they said it was tonsillitis and gave me some pretty heavy duty antibiotics. I've not had a problem with my throat since then.

Perhaps if you make an appointment, it would be worth explaining the basic symptoms to the receptionist? My mum did that for me when she phoned up and the receptionist got me an appointment with the emergency doctor within an hour.

If you have white spots on your tonsils, I would definitely get it checked out - that's what the GP is there for after all.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Last November I got a really sore throat that ended up lasting until after Christmas. I had white spots all over my tonsils and they were inflamed. I spent 2 weeks unable to eat and could only drink small amounts of water. The result of this was that I was technically underweight. I saw a nurse (the surgery I'm with refused to let me see a doctor about it since I got a day appointment) after a month and she basically told me that I was wasting her time and was trying to get time off school.
    How unprofessional! :eek:

That definitely sounds like tonsillitis, I'd get it checked out. Is there no way you can see a doctor rather than a nurse? Maybe the other nurse thought you were wasting her time because she didn't recognise the symptoms? A doctor is definitely the way to go on this one, they'll be better prepared to deal with something like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christielovesyou)
    How unprofessional! :eek:

That definitely sounds like tonsillitis, I'd get it checked out. Is there no way you can see a doctor rather than a nurse? Maybe the other nurse thought you were wasting her time because she didn't recognise the symptoms? A doctor is definitely the way to go on this one, they'll be better prepared to deal with something like that.

She sounds like a pretty crap nurse if she can't recognise the symptoms and has behaved really unproffesionally. I am only a trainee nurse and would have instantly recognised that as tonsilitis or oral thrush and prescribed the appropriate medication if i was a prescribing nurse in a doctors surgery....

as someone who got their tonsils out and wasnt able to eat at all and only drink a small mouthful at a time along with taking anti biotics for abount 5-6 months in that chronic period before i got them removed i was in pure hell. i was too sick to do anything. along with anaemia and being so stressed out i developed adult eczema i couldnt do college when i wasnt even able to get out of bed it got so bad my through would tighten up so much a peanut wouldnt get through. the meds didnt work. i started suffering with them 2 years before that it was a sliding slope. infections were happening every 3 or 4 months ... then it went down to one week sick with them to a few days relief then sick again to ... just 5 months in chronic pain.

that nurse was awful the way they treated you. i know people in college were cruel to me. if a person never has tonsillitis then they dont have a clue how bad it is. mine were abnormally large from the start 4 doctors said so. try and get them removed its worth the pain honestly. ive never felt better

(Original post by Senassa)
    If I were you, I'd go and get it checked out - better to sort it out quickly if it is tonsillitis.

I had a sore throat/I was unable to talk on and off for about six months last year and when I eventually went to the doctors (I'm not a fan of docs haha) they said it was tonsillitis and gave me some pretty heavy duty antibiotics. I've not had a problem with my throat since then.

Perhaps if you make an appointment, it would be worth explaining the basic symptoms to the receptionist? My mum did that for me when she phoned up and the receptionist got me an appointment with the emergency doctor within an hour.

If you have white spots on your tonsils, I would definitely get it checked out - that's what the GP is there for after all.
    I rang this morning and explained and they said I could make a book in advance appointment- the earliest of which is 3 weeks away! At the moment I can still eat most things so I'll just leave it I think and live with it for now. I'd it gets to the stage where I can't eat then I'll try again. But thanks

That definitely sounds like tonsillitis
    That's what I thought until she said it wasn't, glad it wasn't just me! I still don't know how she could have said it wasn't since she didn't even examine me! I think I may have been at fault as well though, I couldn't explain well since I lost my voice. Should have written it down really!

She sounds like a pretty crap nurse
    She is! They all are though :/ the asthma nurse asks every question by saying "you don't get... Do you?" and laughs at me when I ask questions! You should qualify and then come and be my nurse!

try and get them removed its worth the pain honestly
    I'd really rather not. I'm scared of going to the docs, let alone a surgeon! I can live with the pain, I'm a dancer so I'm always in pain one way or another, it just irritates me when I can't eat. Great way to lose weight though! Glad you're ok now

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to leave it for now and just live with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's tonsillitis. That was the first time I'd had it so after seeing the nurse I thought I was overreacting!
    If it gets any worse, I'll try to get an appointment, but the surgery I'm with seems to hate giving appointments to people.who aren't elderly. And, I do feel guilty for having had so many appointments lately, I'm sure there are people with more than asthma and a sore throat!

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a swab of the tonsil would be a good idea - if it shows strep then antibots might help - if not then possibly a blood test for GF

(Original post by LadyBunion)
    Sounds like a swab of the tonsil would be a good idea - if it shows strep then antibots might help - if not then possibly a blood test for GF
    What's GF?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What's GF?
    Glandular Fever

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 3, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.