Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much would you ideally like to earn?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    anything above £30k........................... .per week
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anything over £20k when I graduate and I'd be more than happy with £50k when I'm middle-aged. Realistically, anything where I can comfortably bring up a family and afford a mortgage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    There is very little prospect of being able to do either of those things with £25,000.
    Well like I say, this is what my parents earn (although obviously together this makes £50,000 but I'm assuming I would be living with the father of my children) and I've never felt like I was missing out on anything I know they did sacrafice holidays and things occasionally, but again I would also be prepared to do that.

Many people earn less than that and have a house, it just might not be a castle...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not gonna lie, towards the end of my career i would like to be earning £150K +.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stac4321)
    Well like I say, this is what my parents earn (although obviously together this makes £50,000 but I'm assuming I would be living with the father of my children) and I've never felt like I was missing out on anything I know they did sacrafice holidays and things occasionally, but again I would also be prepared to do that.

Many people earn less than that and have a house, it just might not be a castle...
    Not being funny, but in all likelihood, your parents are part of a "golden generation" of people who were fortunate enough to be around from the 70s to 90s when home ownership was possible for people on incomes that were low (but high relative to house prices). There wasn't really a time like it before or since.

Without a substantial inheritance, house purchase on £25,000 is nigh on impossible.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would like to earn £20k when I graduate from uni. Hopefully by £50k by the time I retire. If not then no sweat.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I could understand if this question was being asked to the general public but it's being asked on a forum for students, which on one hand may make it seem unreaslitic but on the other hand, it means there are a serious number of overachieves.

There are a number of examples, especially with jobs in London.

Doctor pay:
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=553
    Dentish pay:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/dentist_salary.htm
    Trainees at city law firms and Investment bankers
    http://l2b.thelawyer.com/trainee-sol...003407.article

Plenty of other examples that can be provided so I fail to see why people can't aim for 40k+
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I got negged for wanting to earn 500k, unless it meant giving up something significantly good?

So what. I don't want to be earning 50k or something, unless I felt I was doing something good for the world. It's not that I won't be happy otherwise. Yeah, I guess I'm relatively materialistic, but even then 500k would give me so much latitude to influence -- and in good ways.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    80 - 120,000 would do me well. Want to live the same as my parents, but I want to do it by myself so I appreciate it more
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be pretty happy on 25-35k, especially in today's jobs market.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's my aim to at some point make £50,000 a year!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much? Well, as much as I could get. If we're being more realistic, I'd say around 35 - 40k would be nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well... For a realistic answer, if I get into uni this year and then successfully get onto some graduate scheme or work for a company in placement. I would expect >£19,000 but probably <£30,000

I think that a large portion of how much capital you can hoard depends on how you spend... Rather than having "x" income.

I agree with other poster. Please do not think £30,000+ in todays market immediately post-uni will happen lol.

Meh,
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with £40k.

What poor bastard negged me for that? LOL.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    well no one wants to be on a low incom but id be happy with any income espeically in the current climate but the more the merrier and all that
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with £60k, I could live with less and more would be brilliant
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    35k.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    This first year after finishing I'm aiming for a starting salary of up to 21k as i'm taking a year out and applying for masters.

After my MSc aiming for a a salry of around 20k to 25k.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Enough to pay the bills and still have some left to treat myself/go on holiday, etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Something like £50k a year would be nice - a good amount, not stingy, but not an over-the-top-stupid amount!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 24, 2013
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.