The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jamierwilliams
Good/Bad points?

no real bad points i think very hard to get into?
Reply 2
does anybody know where i can find application statistics for cambridge colleges
Reply 3
jamierwilliams
does anybody know where i can find application statistics for cambridge colleges

I've only seen the colour-coded tables at the back of the Cambridge prospectus but they don't give applicant : place ratios. If you want specific data, I would e-mail a specific college and ask how many applicants there were for a particular subject and for how many places.
Reply 4
would you say that Trinity is very good for history.......it seems to have quite a good list of past students or would selwyn be better.....or clare?!
Reply 5
jamierwilliams
would you say that Trinity is very good for history.......it seems to have quite a good list of past students or would selwyn be better.....or clare?!

Hmm I'm not too familiar with the reputations of each college with respect to history. I would say that trinity and clare are seen as more prestigious than selwyn. Selwyn is really near the history department though and is a good college nevertheless (my friend applied there for history this year, didn't receive an offer though). I would think that any of those three would be a good choice for history (saying that, I don't know anything about history applications so don't count my word for it) :smile:
Reply 6
I imagine Trinity is more academic than Clare.
Reply 7
should you judge your choice of college on the interests of thefellows e.g. i am particularly interested in mod. europ. history and there is a fello at selwyn the same...should i base my choice on this?
Reply 8
jamierwilliams
should you judge your choice of college on the interests of thefellows e.g. i am particularly interested in mod. europ. history and there is a fello at selwyn the same...should i base my choice on this?

I wouldn't base your choice solely on your shared interest but there isn't any harm in having the same interest as a fellow - there may be a chance that your interview will focus around his speciality. However, there are more important factors which you should consider before making your decision (Once you've decided on a shortlist of colleges I would go and visit all of them & meet students there and then make your decision) :smile:
jamierwilliams

I beleive E.H Carr attended Trinity to study classics and was also a fellow there..........

However, I wouldn't base your decision on the alumni of a college or its fellows research interests as I have read somewhere (might be wrong) that it is probable that you will never be taught by these cutting edge tutors anyway.
Reply 10
fishpaste

We're normally higher than Trinity in the Tompkins table, for whatever that is worth.

Thing with Clare is that everyone is really expected to get a 2:1, a first is nice but they aren't so keen on 2:2s or 3rds.

Alaric.
Reply 11
i really like the look of Caius for history but the bad food puts me off a bit!
Trinity is the largest and one of the best colleges in Cambridge. It has a healthy list of alumni and its strength lies in the sciences and mathematics. It is my college of choice if I were to apply to Cambridge.

J.
Reply 13
fishpaste

Nope - Clare is pretty good at the moment, and finishing above Trinity most years, if the tables mean anything.

The thing about Trinity is it's huge. There are about 300 people in each year, so the feeling of being a very small fish in an extremely large pond that tends to come with being at Cambridge would probably be exacerbated there and if you're shy-ish like me then it would be nightmarish not knowing (or at least recognising!) everyone in your year.

However, it is rich, and very nice generally. I don't know many people there, but it's not hated quite so much as John's is. Hornblower - alumni lists are nice, but that shouldn't be a reason you go there, especially if they're not there any more!
Helenia

However, it is rich,

which is the main reason it is so damn hard to get into along with it's reputation. You must remember that wherever you go in cambridge yoiu will still be doing the same course.

MB
Helenia
Hornblower - alumni lists are nice, but that shouldn't be a reason you go there, especially if they're not there any more!

I think alumni can make a difference - it adds that extra prestige!

One could say to themselves, 'Byron could have done _______ in this very building.' (Insert mischievous word/phrase)
Reply 16
hornblower
I think alumni can make a difference - it adds that extra prestige!

One could say to themselves, 'Byron could have done _______ in this very building.' (Insert mischievous word/phrase)

It does indeed add to the prestige of the place, but that doesn't make it somewhere you'd automatically want to be!
Helenia
It does indeed add to the prestige of the place, but that doesn't make it somewhere you'd automatically want to be!

I didn't say it did. I would however, take alumni into consideration when making a decision.
Reply 18
hornblower
I didn't say it did. I would however, take alumni into consideration when making a decision.

Hmmm...interesting. I don't think I gave it a thought - and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Well, I'd rather be here with the guy I like, and without a Biochem essay on thermodynamicky stuff, but Clare is still a damn good place. Even if Newton didn't go here.
Helenia
Well, I'd rather be here with the guy I like, and without a Biochem essay on thermodynamicky stuff, but Clare is still a damn good place. Even if Newton didn't go here.

You mean you like your guy more than Newton?! Lol :smile:

Enjoy your essay!

Latest

Trending

Trending