Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does weight lifting make a woman bulkly? My experience

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so quite a few of you know about my weight loss journey (currently lost 110lb) and that I lift heavy.

I decided to make this thread due to the whole debate on Why don't women lift and because someone on my weight loss thread asked to see photos of me.

If you are aiming to look like Kim Kardashian then this thread is totally not for you (and I don't mean that in a bad way either)

Ok so does weight lifting make a woman look bulky?

Well it depends on what your definition of bulky is. If you think bulky is this....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female-bodybuilding-pictures4.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	145334
    The answer is no it would not make you look like this. To look like this takes extreme dieting, near to no bodyfat and lots of steroids

If you however think this is bulky (which tbh I do not think at all these women are too bulky)...

Name:	monique_minton_female_fitness_model-bestwallpaper3.jpg 
Views:	1085 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	145337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leigh+Lingham+2.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	145338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5275341781_7c575aca8d_o_d.gif 
Views:	581 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	145340

Well it really depends as the answer is yes or no. The reason being is that in my own personal experience of how my body has transformed I think it is possible for a woman to look like that lifting heavy and not taking drugs. However it take a couple of bodybuilding cuts and bulk cycles, having a very low bodyfat (i.e under 22%) decent genetics and weight training to look like that. Note how I highlighted body fat. Body fat makes a huge difference as in order to have some decent definition your bodyfat has to be really really low and for most average women they are more likely to have about 25-30% bodyfat (Note that body fat is different for men and women). These women on average will have between 15-22% bodyfat and this is pretty unrealistic for women who are just regular gym goers even if they lift heavy weights.

So realsticly how would a woman look if they lift weights.

Probably more like this

Name:	KK8798-2_lrg.jpg 
Views:	1722 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	145346 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allison-stokke5.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	145347

Like I said you may have more muscle definition than this however this really depends on a number of factors which I mentioned before. For the average woman who is not purposely eating to get more muscle definition you will have more definition but its unlikely it will make you too bulky. If you think however that the last 2 pictures I posted is too bulky and you want to look like Kim Kardashian then heavy lifting is not for you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK So my personal experience.

Well as you know I went from this

Pics DELETED

to this

Pics DELETED

Please note though that this is how I look when I am flexing my muscles. I also look like this because my bodyfat percentage is very very low. I also look bigger than I actually am when I flex but in actual fact even though I am 5ft 10 and 10st 10lbs I wear a size 6 on top and a size 10 on bottom.

When I am not flexing and in normal clothes I look more like this
    Pics DELETED

So feel free to discuss what I have posted and I hope that more women on here jump on the lifting heavy bandwagon
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    blank
    This post is both brief and informative, good thread.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do think that Kim Kardashian body, does require some weight lifting to maintain it.

It all depends on whether has an ectomorph, endomorph or mesomorph body shape and genetics to be honest.

Some people will bulk easily from doing some weights and others will not, but I do not think that working weights does not mean you cannot have a curvy bod like Kim, JLo and Beyonce.

Regardless of how big they are, their bodies look very lean.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wish more women weren't so ignorant about this. I'm sick of skinnyfat girls who think spending hours on the cross trainer makes them look good. Do some squats and deadlifts!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting pictures. I am disappoint.

EDIT: Nevermind, you edited the second post after I posted. That's a hell of a transformation OP.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weightlifting makes most people look like utter ****e, only a small % of men have the genetics to benefit from it. TSR is full of young guys who joined a gym two months ago and are keen to promote their new hobby by parroting fiction and lies about what it does and doesn't do to the average person. It's to convince themselves as much as anything.

At least, though, men's idols do in fact lift weights. It's not the primary cause of their physique being how it is, but it's relevant. Girls, though, are pointed to examples of women who don't even lift weights or likely do much exercise at all, and who happen to have pretty good bodies, and then the wild claim is made that if they go and do [whatever routine TSR likes this week] they, too, will look like that random famous skank.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Weightlifting makes most people look like utter ****e, only a small % of men have the genetics to benefit from it. TSR is full of young guys who joined a gym two months ago and are keen to promote their new hobby by parroting fiction and lies about what it does and doesn't do to the average person. It's to convince themselves as much as anything.

At least, though, men's idols do in fact lift weights. It's not the primary cause of their physique being how it is, but it's relevant. Girls, though, are pointed to examples of women who don't even lift weights or likely do much exercise at all, and who happen to have pretty good bodies, and then the wild claim is made that if they go and do [whatever routine TSR likes this week] they, too, will look like that random famous skank.
    Why do you say that?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocker710)
    This post is both brief and informative, good thread.
    You didn't give me enough time to finish posting. Put blank on there so I can continue my post as i couldn't fit everything into one post

(Original post by Nasher and Basher)
    I do think that Kim Kardashian body, does require some weight lifting to maintain it.

It all depends on whether has an ectomorph, endomorph or mesomorph body shape and genetics to be honest.

Some people will bulk easily from doing some weights and others will not, but I do not think that working weights does not mean you cannot have a curvy bod like Kim, JLo and Beyonce.

Regardless of how big they are, their bodies look very lean.
    I am talking about lifting heavy weights (like most guys on here do). They may lift but its unlikely that they lift very heavy. Rather they lift lighter weights

(Original post by RollerBall)
    I was expecting pictures. I am disappoint.

EDIT: Nevermind, you edited the second post after I posted. That's a hell of a transformation OP.
    Yeah I couldn't post all the pics in one post. Now I have added all my pics and thank you
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Why do you say that?
    He probably has bad genetics and looks like ****e
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Why do you say that?
    :ditto: I would like to know why myself. Especially as I lift weights and think I look a lot better as a result.

Are you the guy who posted on another thread about how starting strength didn't work out for you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I can't say too much here because I'm not entirely sure what you mean but generally speaking people who have good physiques look the way they do because of diet and exercise.

I think that weights are likely to "improve" the physique of both men and women.

Although, I'd be interested in hearing why you think that most men don't have the genetics to benefit from weight lifting.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK So my personal experience.

Well as you know I went from this

So feel free to discuss what I have posted and I hope that more women on here jump on the lifting heavy bandwagon
    Impressive. Well done. :yy: More girls should read this.

How long did it take you to do that transformation? Just a ballpark figure.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    I can't say too much here because I'm not entirely sure what you mean but generally speaking people who have good physiques look the way they do because of diet and exercise.

I think that weights are likely to "improve" the physique of both men and women.

Although, I'd be interested in hearing why you think that most men don't have the genetics to benefit from weight lifting.
    You hit it right on the nail there. Ok for example I was 18st 8lbs (at 5ft 10lb) and my body was a mess. My mum's side of the family is really overweight as well. At one point I thought I was going to be fat and there was no way I could ever imagine my body being the way it is now.

However with a decent diet (and sometimes I still eat a bit of junk ) and exercise both cardio and weights I managed to not only lose the weight but to transform my body and get my body looking the way does now (In fact i have a 4 pack and my tummy use to be flabby and huge).

Moral of the story is that anyone can get a decent body with a good diet and exercise. If I am a woman and could look like this then I don't see why a man can't gain decent muscle and look good (naturally)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Impressive. Well done. :yy: More girls should read this.

How long did it take you to do that transformation? Just a ballpark figure.
    I took me exactly one year to lose 105lbs. Then I plateaued and did lose anything till mid Jan. Then since mid Jan I have lost another 5lbs.

Oh and thank you . I'm hoping more women will lift weights too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L_man)
    That's a myth perpetuated by the huge and lucrative sports/fitness/nutrition industry. They want us to believe that anyone can do it if only we try hard. And buy all their ****. Obviously 99% of people fail at their fitness or sporting pursuits - so common that it's the subject of jokes and parody - and we're encouraged to slight their character (they didn't apply themselves) rather than wonder whether it was actually ever possible for them or if they'd been sold impossible dreams. The ideal analogy would be academic achievement. Work hard and you can get dem grades, right? Hah, not a chance. The smart kids get top grades, the thick ones get **** grades. Some people creep a few steps up the ladder with very clever (not necessarily hard) work, and some slip further back or spin their wheels by pushing too hard, swimming against the current and going under.

They can do.

It could be beneficial in a different social context to how we place it today. Exercise is important, but only in certain ways and with certain approaches to it, and also from a young age, importantly. The way weightlifting/BBing is presented to men today is an absolute joke (yes, even the stuff that you all think is totally 100% legit fo real this time) and damages people physically and psychologically.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lifting weights will only tone ur muscles, i dont think girls should b scared of weights

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's a myth perpetuated by the huge and lucrative sports/fitness/nutrition industry. They want us to believe that anyone can do it if only we try hard. And buy all their ****. Obviously 99% of people fail at their fitness or sporting pursuits - so common that it's the subject of jokes and parody - and we're encouraged to slight their character (they didn't apply themselves) rather than wonder whether it was actually ever possible for them or if they'd been sold impossible dreams.
    Yes but I believe that anyone can do it if the try hard. (Well that's what I did and I mange to achieve what I achieve). Yes I had a few unsuccessful attempts but what made me do it this time is my determination and patience. The reason why so many fail is because they don't have the determination and patience to see it through. Yes ok sometimes we have slightly unrealistic expectations but if we are a bit realistic we can get a decent body if we work hard at it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k4m4r)
    Lifting weights will only tone ur muscles, i dont think girls should b scared of weights

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    ??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I believe that anyone can do it if the try hard. (Well that's what I did and I mange to achieve what I achieve). Yes I had a few unsuccessful attempts but what made me do it this time is my determination and patience. The reason why so many fail is because they don't have the determination and patience to see it through. Yes ok sometimes we have slightly unrealistic expectations but if we are a bit realistic we can get a decent body if we work hard at it.
    brb working hard

brb accomplishing anything

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 4, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.