Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Co-operative Group?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    This really a politics question, but is kind of related.

I have recently set up a current account with the Co-operative bank (britannia) as it will give me one of the best student accounts around when i go to uni in september, and was giving a form to join the co-operative group which gives you a shre of theprofits twice a year.

The reason I am asking is, that I want to know is the co-operative group have anyhting to do with the co-operative party, as I am a member of the Conservative Party, and wouldnt want to join a party with totally opposite views by mistake

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So you'd rather lose out on a better student account deal just because in some convoluted way you'd be supporting labour?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia

(Original post by Wikipedia page on The Co-operative Group)
    The Co-operative Group, as the largest retail business in the UK Cooperative movement, is the biggest affiliate supporter of the Co-operative Party, which fields candidates in UK national, regional and local elections on joint tickets with the Labour Party, its sister party. In addition to core aims of furthering cooperative values and mutualism in Parliament and on the national stage cooperative party members, activists and representatives (MPs, MSPs, AMs and councillors) campaign on wider social issues, including "The Feelings Mutual" campaign. The Co-operative Group facilitates, takes part in or owns services provided for other UK Consumer Cooperative Societies, supports community concerns and projects and runs ethical and social campaigns and advertising and events which correspond to the interests and values of the democratic society and the wider community.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    So you'd rather lose out on a better student account deal just because in some convoluted way you'd be supporting labour?
    No not that, i am asking about the group,as in membership scheme, not the bank as that is with britannia, not the co-op but as they are in the same group you can join the mebership scheme for the co-op
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    but then again, I have just found something abou the conservative co-operative movement
    http://www.conservativecoops.com/
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    "Just because"?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    "Just because"?
    Yes. Just because.

Seems a bit silly to do yourself out of a better deal. Nobody cares who your bank account is with.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, seems a silly reason to turn down an attractive deal.

Co-ops have something both left and right wingers can admire - left wingers for the control of a business by the workers, right wingers for the industrious use of free enterprise.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    but then again, I have just found something abou the conservative co-operative movement
    http://www.conservativecoops.com/
    Wow thanks for linking to that, it looks really interesting.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 2, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.