The Student Room Group

BTEC level 3 extended diploma in health and social care for childrens nursing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
As long as you ve got 5c's and 3 of those are in english, maths and science i wouldnt worry about gcses with applying to nursing :smile:

Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by German123
Thanks for replying :smile:

no problem:smile: if you ve any other nursing questions drop me a pm and i ll do my best to help:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
no problem:smile: if you ve any other nursing questions drop me a pm and i ll do my best to help:smile:

Thanks.:smile:
Original post by German123
Out of interest, what uni and did they care about your GCSE's or the Btec was far more important?

Buckinghamshire new university doing a foundation degree :smile:! I found that they cared way more about my UCAS points more than anything :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Buckinghamshire new university doing a foundation degree :smile:! I found that they cared way more about my UCAS points more than anything :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:
Reply 46
can u still do level 3 HSC even without 5 GCSE or are my dreams crushed? I don't want to move elsewhere next year, I feel really comfortable where I am, (I'm in the first year of college btw..), I feel useless, my friends don't want to hang with me anymore and I keep thinking of watching Jeremy Kyle with my mom in the afternoon (LOL):smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Hi I am currenly on my first year of a levels, but I have decided not to carry them on to next year. I have been looking at the extended diploma in health and social care level 3.
What do you all think I want to either do child nursing or midwifery and the a levels are not giving me experience which the course needs.
just wanted to as about the work load. Will I still get a social life? And are the topics hard to get your head around! I got all Bs in triple science and C in maths. just finding it hard to make a decision?
Hope you can help!
Meg !!!! Xx
Original post by Megs!!!
Hi I am currenly on my first year of a levels, but I have decided not to carry them on to next year. I have been looking at the extended diploma in health and social care level 3.
What do you all think I want to either do child nursing or midwifery and the a levels are not giving me experience which the course needs.
just wanted to as about the work load. Will I still get a social life? And are the topics hard to get your head around! I got all Bs in triple science and C in maths. just finding it hard to make a decision?
Hope you can help!
Meg !!!! Xx

Hi,

I am in my second year of the btec extended diploma in hsc and have just applied for uni to study midwifery. So far I have received 2/5 interviews! I would 100% recommend the btec as it gives you so much work experience which is great to put on your personal statement for university, as they like you to have some sort of work experience within a health and social care setting. Also, if you find exams hard then i would go for the btec as it is all course work based which is one of the main reasons i chose to do it as opposed to a levels. I finished my first year with the highest grade you could get - D*D*. The work load is quite intense as there is a lot of coursework but as long as you keep on top of it then you will be fine. As i said, if you do your work on time then of course you will get a social life, its just how well organised you are. One thing i would say is to make up your mind as to what you want to study at uni (either nursing or midwifery) because when it comes to writing your personal statement you will have to make it clear what pathway you want to go down, universities won't like it if you're not clear about what it is you want to study because as you probably know, nursing and midwifery are completely different careers and you have to be 100% sure of what you want to do. Not sure if you know but nursing and midwifery are extremely competitive to get in to, for example i'm applying for midwifery where there are over 1000 applicant with only 30 places so it would work in your favour if maybe in your second year of either a levels or the btec you organise some work experience in the hospital. I had the opportunity to get some work experience within maternity, so I spent 1 day on the labour suite, one day on the ante/post natal ward and the other day i went out with the commumity midwife.
Sorry for the long essay but from personal experience i know how hard it is to make a decision! So i hope what i have said has helped and you are successful in what it is that you end up doing! :smile: x
I was wondering can you complete btec level 3 if you don't complete the 100 hours of placement
Original post by Chipperchelsea
I was wondering can you complete btec level 3 if you don't complete the 100 hours of placement

You have to complete at least 100 hours of placement in order to qualify with the diploma because the placement part is mandatory and is a big part of the course. Some of the units you will do, you will have to write about your placement for example PPD you have to write about what you have learnt and do a reflection on your time spent in the different settings. Even if you get 99 hours you would have to do an extra day or half day in order to make it reach 100 hours!
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks
Original post by charsti
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks

I think you'll just fail the module that requires you to do placement. Can't remember now, might be wrong there though..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Hi I am currently waiting for my level 3 in social care in which I have completed this through my workplace and a company called vision training would I be able to start a university course in adult nursing. If so how do I go on to apply.
Original post by hazelmc
Hi I am currently waiting for my level 3 in social care in which I have completed this through my workplace and a company called vision training would I be able to start a university course in adult nursing. If so how do I go on to apply.

It'll be through a website called UCAS where you'll fill all your details, education, etc and it's where you choose the unis too. You won't be able to go in this September's intake as it's now too late, but there is a February (I know it's February at the uni I'm at, might be March at others not too sure there) intake so you can start applying for that intake now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
I think you'll just fail the module that requires you to do placement. Can't remember now, might be wrong there though..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats unit 6 (personal and professional development), you needed to do 100 hours for this unit and I have already done it and passed the unit so Im not sure...
Original post by charsti
Thats unit 6 (personal and professional development), you needed to do 100 hours for this unit and I have already done it and passed the unit so Im not sure...

Hey could you please help me with unit 8-Psychological perspectives.

Do you know how the behaviourist and social learning theory can be applied in health practice and social care practice?

I am really stuck on this and m teachers are not helpful at all.:frown:
Original post by charsti

Yeah...
The college I was at made us do 300 hours over 2 years, think they preferred it can't remember now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blackstarr
Hey could you please help me with unit 8-Psychological perspectives.

Do you know how the behaviourist and social learning theory can be applied in health practice and social care practice?

I am really stuck on this and m teachers are not helpful at all.:frown:

You have to talk about how these theories can be used in health care settings. For example the behaviourst approach has two features (operant and classical conditioning), and operant conditioning is based around the idea of reinforcement. You could talk about how nurses or carers can offer reinforcement to their service users e.g. when someone is getting vaccinated the nurse the nurse could give reinforcement by saying something like ''youre doing really well'' etc.
Original post by charsti
You have to talk about how these theories can be used in health care settings. For example the behaviourst approach has two features (operant and classical conditioning), and operant conditioning is based around the idea of reinforcement. You could talk about how nurses or carers can offer reinforcement to their service users e.g. when someone is getting vaccinated the nurse the nurse could give reinforcement by saying something like ''youre doing really well'' etc.

Okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending