The Student Room Group

6th form writing to edexcel - what will happen?

I do edexcel AS chem by the way and I wish this was a troll thread but it's not!

Basically, for the unit 1 paper, 18/21 people got 'U' this Janaury at my sixth form.

In my class most people got 'D' or 'E' on the coursework (unmoderated). And in my class of nine, I think one person passed the mock for unit 2 well (I wasn't there the day they did it. I think one eprson got a B/C, a couple got Es and the rest failed) I think similar things happened in the other AS class and in the A2 group.

The chemistry teacher has now resigned! He was the only timetabled chemsitry teacher! The biology teacher can teach chem, but her timetable is full when our chem lessons are on so in the mean time we've got about 3 different part time chemistry people coming in. From the sounds of it one of them knows a lot about chemistry but isn't actually a qualified teacher :s-smilie:

The 6th form have said that they will write to edexcel explaining what has happened. But what is likely to be done by them? Will the same happen for all 21 people, or will it depend if we passed/failed the janaury exam/ coursework? I mean those january results could have occurred by chance. The people that passed got ABC so it's not like they only scrapped Es, although the grade boundaries were rather low.

The teacher has resigned but he had finished the course content if that changes things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Clare~Bear
I do edexcel AS chem by the way and I wish this was a troll thread but it's not!

Basically, for the unit 1 paper, 18/21 people got 'U' this Janaury at my sixth form.

In my class most people got 'D' or 'E' on the coursework (unmoderated). And in my class of nine, I think one person passed the mock for unit 2 well (I wasn't there the day they did it. I think one eprson got a B/C, a couple got Es and the rest failed) I think similar things happened in the other AS class and in the A2 group.

The chemistry teacher has now resigned! He was the only timetabled chemsitry teacher! The biology teacher can teach chem, but her timetable is full when our chem lessons are on so in the mean time we've got about 3 different part time chemistry people coming in. From the sounds of it one of them knows a lot about chemistry but isn't actually a qualified teacher :s-smilie:

The 6th form have said that they will write to edexcel explaining what has happened. But what is likely to be done by them? Will the same happen for all 21 people, or will it depend if we passed/failed the janaury exam/ coursework? I mean those january results could have occurred by chance. The people that passed got ABC so it's not like they only scrapped Es, although the grade boundaries were rather low.

The teacher has resigned but he had finished the course content if that changes things.

I'm afraid that writing to Edexcel is unlikely to make any difference. Failure of the school to teach the right stuff (e.g. the right set book for English) is not a reason for special consideration so I don't think this will count. Special consideration is meant to cover people who have studied all the work, but have a temporary problem at the time of the assessment which prevents them displaying what they do know. Fundamentally, through no real fault of your own, you don't know enough Chemistry to do well. As you don't know enough Chemistry for a better grade, they cannot give you one.

The only solution is to get a better teacher and re-sit in January.
Reply 2
We have been taught the right syllabus. Infact all he ever did was to teach from the textbook.

I can understand them writing to edexcel but i dont see what it will achieve. Like i said 3 people did well for unit 1 and it's unlikely yet statisticaly possible for that to have happened by chance. I might also add that in January some of the people who failed got As in other subjects such as maths and biology proving that they're clever, and in a sciency way. Although i dont think edexcel wovld care about that would they?
Reply 3
We have been taught the right syllabus. Infact all he ever did was to teach from the textbook.

I can understand them writing to edexcel but i dont see what it will achieve. Like i said 3 people did well for unit 1 and it's unlikely yet statisticaly possible for that to have happened by chance. I might also add that in January some of the people who failed got As in other subjects such as maths and biology proving that they're clever, and in a sciency way. Although i dont think edexcel wovld care about that would they?

No, the sample is too small even if your school did have a point, which they don't because ultimately, it is the fault of your teacher, and the body responsible for your teacher is your school, not Edexcel.

The most your school can do, is write in your reference (or to the universities you apply to) explaining why you have not done well in Chemistry.
Reply 4
But what if i end up with say a C overall? Its likely and i could get into uni with it. But i feel i should/could get a B. But i dont want that extra cost, time and pressure of a resit of unit 2. I can manage with a C but a B would take the pressure off of my other subjects if i was more confidant i could achieve that potential. so would it still be mentioned in my reference? I mean if typical offers are say BBB but I'm predicted BBC with the c in chem cos of what's happened this year, are they more likely to consider me, taking into account what has happened, if my reference mentions it?
they tell you to get your school to contact them.
Reply 6
Whats that got to do with it. This is chemistry. . . :erm:
Reply 7
But what if i end up with say a C overall? Its likely and i could get into uni with it. But i feel i should/could get a B. But i dont want that extra cost, time and pressure of a resit of unit 2. I can manage with a C but a B would take the pressure off of my other subjects if i was more confidant i could achieve that potential. so would it still be mentioned in my reference? I mean if typical offers are say BBB but I'm predicted BBC with the c in chem cos of what's happened this year, are they more likely to consider me, taking into account what has happened, if my reference mentions it?

Your school should mention it. Consider the universities' perspectives. If they get a candidate with an unexplained low grade then that may put that candidate out of consideration. If they get a candidate with an explained low grade then they may look further into it, or give the candidate the benefit of the doubt.

To be brutally honest, your school messed up if your teacher is that bad and you're all doing worse than you should be. Your school should at least admit that your teacher for chemistry was incompetent in the reference. Not doing so would be both unfair and a failure to own up to the school's mistake.
Reply 8
Ok, ta :smile: from what i heard, my college had to take him cos he was the only person that applied for the job. And this was the 6th forms first year open so it's not like he had a class here last year that did well.

Quick Reply

Latest