Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bulking / Toning help please!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm 21, 6ft3 and weigh 13 stone.

I have an extremely high metabolism am in good health, have good stamina (run regularly)

However, I am really skinny! And for aesthetic purposes I really want to bulk up, bigger Bi's and Tris, Shoulders, Chest, Back and Abs!

Ive scoured this forum and can't really find a programme specific to me.

At my disposal I have a bar, 2 dumbbells and weights to go on them.

I don't have a lifting bench!

So Ideally I'd like to bulk up at home with this. I am currently starting week 1 of a 0-100 push ups programme and am also doing situps in the morning with my legs up on my bed.

Can anyone give me some programmes and methods of using the weights I have?

Also how long will it be before I start noticing results?

Thanks guys, sorry about my inexperience!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also should I look at getting products such as protein powder and creatine?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No programmes, routines

5 day split
    Abs, chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps.

Eat +500cals above your maintenance.

1gram protein per LB

I'm tired now so i'm keeping this to a minimum but I'll update it tomorrow.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of diet. If you want to build muscle you got to eat more. Best way to do this is to calculate how much calories you need a day (on average males need about 2500 calories) and then add 500 calories to that in order to gain 1lb of weight a week. Myfitnesspal is a great site to get started You don't want to gain weight too fast as if you do you will just end up getting fat. Then make sure you eat about 1g of protein per bodyweight in lbs as well.

You don't need protein powder or/and creatine if you are getting enough protein in your diet. These supplements are there only to make up for shortfalls in your diet
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    In terms of diet. If you want to build muscle you got to eat more. Best way to do this is to calculate how much calories you need a day (on average males need about 2500 calories) and then add 500 calories to that in order to gain 1lb of weight a week. Myfitnesspal is a great site to get started You don't want to gain weight too fast as if you do you will just end up getting fat. Then make sure you eat about 1g of protein per bodyweight in lbs as well.

You don't need protein powder or/and creatine if you are getting enough protein in your diet. These supplements are there only to make up for shortfalls in your diet
    6ft 3
    182 LBS
    21 years old

Works out at just under 2000 calories
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e1usive)
    No programmes, routines

5 day split

1gram protein per LB

Thanks mate please do!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    basically what e1usive said, work out your maintenance level, add 10% on calorie wise and get training hard. You can only bulk/tone at on point in time, however if you eat well you can put on minimal fat whilst training.

Don't listen to what anyone says about protein shakes, 6 meals a day and all that crap. All you need to be doing is eating well, sleeping well and training well. Don't get me wrong, protein shakes will allow you to gain that extra protein needed in your diet, if you cba to eat it, however protein shake doesn't just make you 'hench.'

I don't know if I am allowed to post links that direct you to external sites, however this website is the best in my opinion for learning everything you would ever want to know about gymming:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Read that page, do your calcs and then start eating correctly and you will start gaining, I promise.

Read the forums in general, they are absolutely great.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @Dan)
    6ft 3
    182 LBS
    21 years old

Works out at just under 2000 calories
    You have got that number wrong. I am 5ft 10 150lbs and maintenance for me (and I am female) is about 2200 calories. I put your figures into the online calculator and you will need about 2600 to maintain. Then to gain 1lb a week you should eat about 3100 calories minimum.

(Original post by Ashmanyeah)

I don't know if I am allowed to post links that direct you to external sites, however this website is the best in my opinion for learning everything you would ever want to know about gymming:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Read that page, do your calcs and then start eating correctly and you will start gaining, I promise.

Read the forums in general, they are absolutely great.
    I also used the site to calculate my macros too so I really recommend you do the same as well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @Dan)
    Hi guys, I'm 21, 6ft3 and weigh 13 stone.

I have an extremely high metabolism am in good health, have good stamina (run regularly)

However, I am really skinny! And for aesthetic purposes I really want to bulk up, bigger Bi's and Tris, Shoulders, Chest, Back and Abs!

Ive scoured this forum and can't really find a programme specific to me.

At my disposal I have a bar, 2 dumbbells and weights to go on them.

I don't have a lifting bench!

So Ideally I'd like to bulk up at home with this. I am currently starting week 1 of a 0-100 push ups programme and am also doing situps in the morning with my legs up on my bed.

Can anyone give me some programmes and methods of using the weights I have?

Also how long will it be before I start noticing results?

Thanks guys, sorry about my inexperience!
    It's so strange, you're basically me

I'm 22, just over 6 ft, 11 stone 8, just completed week one of the 100 pushups programme!

I'm throwing in an intensive swimming session once a week and bicep curls 3 times a week, as well as eating a lot bigger.

After the second week I think I may incorporate the similar squats programme too, depending on how I'm getting along with the pushups. Didn't want to overload my body straight away as I haven't done anything similar (working out to a set programme consistently) since I was 16.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lol@this thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No programmes, routines

5 day split

1gram protein per LB

5 day split is too much volume.
    No need for ab day, just do some crunches after leg day.
    No leg day.
    Not enough protein.
    Not enough calories.

Almost everything you said was wrong.

OP just run starting strength if you want results. Buy the book.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look up full body routines or upper lower. If you want to maximize the size of your arms and shoulders etc you will need to do some isolation work alongside the compound lifts.

Also find out how many calories you are consuming right now to maintain your current weight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    5 day split is too much volume.
    No need for ab day, just do some crunches after leg day.
    No leg day.
    Not enough protein.
    Not enough calories.

Almost everything you said was wrong.

OP just run starting strength if you want results. Buy the book.
    Yeah I'm wrong, been doing this for 2 years, lost 14% bf, been through 8 cut cycles to get down to single digit bf %, I know nothing, got it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much weights? At your body weight you'd want a good 100kg of plates, at least.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm wrong, been doing this for 2 years, lost 14% bf, been through 8 cut cycles to get down to single digit bf %, I know nothing, got it.
    A 5 day split is too much volume unless you're on gear. This is general knowledge.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think joining a gym would be your best idea! You will make gains fast and the weights you probably have at home won't cut it. Do what some other people have said in the thread about diet and what to work out and you should be fine. It's not rocket science. People over-complicate things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got any legs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If i was you mate I would do a 4 day split!

Monday - Biceps/Back

Wednesday - Legs

Friday - Tricepts/chest

Saturday - Shoulders

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.