The Student Room Group

Chances in UCAS adjustment?

I'm looking at trying to go through adjustment in August, because I've got much better coursework results than I was expecting when I made my application. I'm now looking at coming out with AAA with a firm wanting ABB. I love my firm, but I'm realising that I'm probably better off at a Russell Group (York is my ideal) or something else if I'm gonna come out with AAA.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of adjustment, and what are my chances of getting into a really good university through it? I would've assumed that all good ones fill up their places in the applications. Emailed a few places and got replies ranging from 'no chance' to 'we've filled up our spaces as of now - unlikely but you're welcome to try'.

My course is English and History joint honours if that helps, though I'm considering being flexible in terms of taking either single honours if it means I could go to somewhere really good that I love.

Edit: I may just come out with ABB and then this whole thread will be redundant. Oh well.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agoetcherian
I'm looking at trying to go through adjustment in August, because I've got much better coursework results than I was expecting when I made my application. I'm now looking at coming out with AAA with a firm wanting ABB. I love my firm, but I'm realising that I'm probably better off at a Russell Group (York is my ideal) or something else if I'm gonna come out with AAA.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of adjustment, and what are my chances of getting into a really good university through it? I would've assumed that all good ones fill up their places in the applications. Emailed a few places and got replies ranging from 'no chance' to 'we've filled up our spaces as of now - unlikely but you're welcome to try'.

My course is English and History joint honours if that helps, though I'm considering being flexible in terms of taking either single honours if it means I could go to somewhere really good that I love.

Edit: I may just come out with ABB and then this whole thread will be redundant. Oh well.

Last year more people than ever, 552, gained places through adjustment. The previous year it was 377.

This compares with 415,340 main scheme places, 9,537 Extra places and 51,169 clearing places.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
Last year more people than ever, 552, gained places through adjustment. The previous year it was 377.

This compares with 415,340 main scheme places, 9,537 Extra places and 51,169 clearing places.

I'm wary of all these statistics, simply because it's all down to circumstance. There's no way of knowing which universities were involved in that - it could have been the same ones that would've ordinarily accepted people through clearing, and are thus known to be easier to get in to. My question was specific to the top universities.

What conclusions do you draw from these statistics?
I went through adjustment last year, it was really easy. On the ucas box online that has all your offers, there should be a little box that you tick to say you're willing to try for adjustment. then on results day I had to ring up all the unis I was interested in and see if they had places. It can take a long time, exeter kept me waiting for 30 mins on the phone then said they had no places.

then I rang up KCL (where I am now) and asked them did they have spaces. They said they would consider my application and then rang back about 4 hours later confirming my place. Tis easy as pie.
Reply 4
Original post by bittersweet16
I went through adjustment last year, it was really easy. On the ucas box online that has all your offers, there should be a little box that you tick to say you're willing to try for adjustment. then on results day I had to ring up all the unis I was interested in and see if they had places. It can take a long time, exeter kept me waiting for 30 mins on the phone then said they had no places.

then I rang up KCL (where I am now) and asked them did they have spaces. They said they would consider my application and then rang back about 4 hours later confirming my place. Tis easy as pie.

These sorts of anecdotes was what I was looking for; thanks :smile:
So, from your experiences, would you say that many top unis have spaces?
These sorts of anecdotes was what I was looking for; thanks :smile:
So, from your experiences, would you say that many top unis have spaces?

I don't want to scare you, but not really... I was only looking at unis in the South and looking for a uni with higher requirements than Southampton (my firm choice.) KCL was the only top uni doing it. It might be different for your course though, I study law.

it could be different for people this year. there was a high intake of students last year as it was the last year paying 3,000 fees. So it might not be manic, with the 9,000 fees? I don't know.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm wary of all these statistics, simply because it's all down to circumstance. There's no way of knowing which universities were involved in that - it could have been the same ones that would've ordinarily accepted people through clearing, and are thus known to be easier to get in to. My question was specific to the top universities.

What conclusions do you draw from these statistics?

The obvious conclusion is that adjustment is a minority sport.

However the unknowns about adjustment seem far greater than the knowns.

It isn't clear many are eligible. These are 2010 stats for those who exceeded predicted grades but that will not necessarily equal the number of adjustment candidates. Some people would be holding offers of lower than their predicted grade and a few would have offers at higher than their predicted grades (particularly with the A* grade which many schools were reluctant to predict).

One grade under 13,587
Two grades under 817
Three grades under 79
Reply 7
When you enter a uni via adjustment, how hard is it to sort student finance and accommodation out?
Reply 8
Original post by panda192
When you enter a uni via adjustment, how hard is it to sort student finance and accommodation out?

Finance is just a case of changing it on your form. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Accommodation is what I'm worried about. They'll already have allocated it to all firm and insurance people, and then you just get whatever's left.
Reply 9

I'd like to say thank you for creating this thread because i'm in exactly the same spot as you. Also i to want to go to York now LOOOL
Reply 10
Yeah.
Reply 11
Original post by bittersweet16

Hi, I got an offer from durham for accounting and finance which requires AB only. I got rejected by other 4 unis. I am predicted A*AA and i am pretty confident that i can achieve higher grades than my offer so i would like to go thru the adjustment to hunt for a better uni.

As i got one offer only, i dont have any insurance, is it ok for me to go thru adjustment without an insurance? and the little box u mentioned abt ticking it for adjustment, it only show up after ur results day rite? coz i cant find any box atm...I am an international student, on the result day i will not be in the UK. so can i email them instead? or on the phone is the best idea?

Sorry for too many questions...thank you sooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!
Original post by batman530
Hi, I got an offer from durham for accounting and finance which requires AB only. I got rejected by other 4 unis. I am predicted A*AA and i am pretty confident that i can achieve higher grades than my offer so i would like to go thru the adjustment to hunt for a better uni.

As i got one offer only, i dont have any insurance, is it ok for me to go thru adjustment without an insurance? and the little box u mentioned abt ticking it for adjustment, it only show up after ur results day rite? coz i cant find any box atm...I am an international student, on the result day i will not be in the UK. so can i email them instead? or on the phone is the best idea?

Not going to lie; I doubt any uni better than Durham is going to be in Adjustment.
I would caution against rushing into changing your university via Adjustment. You (hopefully!) spent a decent amount of time researching universities and picked a firm that was the best choice for you; getting higher grades doesn't fundementally change that - what made it the right place beforehand, but now not?

If it's just that you have higher grades, consider whether you're seeking to change because you believe a different university is better for you or because you feel like you should. Having higher grades than you anticipated doesn't mean you need to change - if you already love your firm, what is a new university offering that's better?
Reply 14
Original post by hassi94
Not going to lie; I doubt any uni better than Durham is going to be in Adjustment.

I really wanna go to warwick but i was rejected by warwick. So i hope i can try warwick again through the adjustment. Durham is a nice uni but its too far away for me.
I really wanna go to warwick but i was rejected by warwick. So i hope i can try warwick again through the adjustment. Durham is a nice uni but its too far away for me.

I'd be amazed if Warwick were in adjustment for accounting and finance.
Reply 16

You can only enter on results day. If you really don't want to go to Durham and you only have one offer you could have gone through extra, but that ship may have passed by now if you've firmed it.

You're probably not gonna get a better uni than Durham in adjustment. Durham is one of the best unis in the UK.
Original post by hassi94
I'd be amazed if Warwick were in adjustment for accounting and finance.

In 2010 at least, Warwick was actually one of the top universities for giving places through Adjustment :holmes: I don't know what courses it was for though.
Reply 18
Original post by Potally_Tissed
In 2010 at least, Warwick was actually one of the top universities for giving places through Adjustment :holmes: I don't know what courses it was for though.

This gives me hope. Where did you find this out? Is there data on this anywhere?
This gives me hope. Where did you find this out? Is there data on this anywhere?

I was reliably informed. I doubt the information is online anywhere. Bear in mind also that this was just for one year, and the number of people who get a place anywhere through Adjustment is so low that there's little point trying to spot patterns.

Latest

Trending

Trending