Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How hard is it to just drop everything and just go?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedTiger)
    I guess that is the sacrifice you make. You won't see family as much but there is time for that later.

You can get jobs out there that get you by until you get a bigger job.
    In regards to family. It's not like you have to stop talking to them for the duration of your travels.

Tbh, I would probably be ringing them a few times a week. Maybe even skyping them. You will probably have lots of news for them and stories of the day anyway.

And yes, when you are back, you will be seeing them all the time. The only possible hicup is a grand parent falling ill or passing away. In which case, Itwouldn't be so hard to get back withtin a week of solid travelling.Depends how far away you are though I suppose

But you can't think like that anyway, if you did, you would never go anywhere or take risks.

I'm sure little jobs doing bar work and waiting tables are a plenty in buzzing areas. If not, theres always fruit picking right!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    I haven't yet, though my brother has wwoof'd all over Australia and is currently living and volunteering long term in a commune in Hawaii, and has later plans of travelling around Europe. I'm thinking of volunteering for a couple of weeks or so in an English commune later this year to get a feel for it, but alas I am off to university in September for three years - after that, I plan to go off around the world with a cheap campervan and a few like-minded friends (whom I have yet to meet!).
    Oh man, Hawaii! My ultimate destination. Just for this view...

Life dream right here.

Europe would be good. My sister has interailed around Europe and had a blast. She's going again this yea. Lucky sod.

Sounds good. Once you have uni out the way you will be sorted.

Sounds similar to what me and a friend plan to do in America. Go coast to coast in a cheap camper van

Good luck with uni man, all the best What you studying?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeltree)
    what will be hard is when he comes back, getting a job when you have a 10year gap between uni and your application must be difficult...
    Suppose you just tell it how it is. I plan on getting a few years work experience before I actually do it, so that would count for something. Does it go out of date? I was only really planning a year maximum. I couldn't be away from family for longer than that, plus I don't want to be a total drifter...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 331sam331)
    Wow awesome

I don't have a degree, although I plan to learn a trade so I could travel with being able to land trade work in places.

Yea, I think a daily limit would sort that out. Then some backup funds to fall back on incase of an inevitable hicup somewhere.

Then some other money set asside for little treats, like eating out in restaurants, and for things like jet skiing/zip lining/sky diving/etc...

Come to think of it, my dad and his friend just shot off to the south of france on there motorbikes in the 80's and worked as waiters in little cafe's.
    Actually....well, he wasn't exactly "vacationing" in Italy or Canada. He had a wife and two kids back home in Poland and only left because he was quiet traumatized by the strike the coal mine he worked at had with the Soviet regime. It didn't end well, (you know? totalitarianism, shoot first, never negotiate capitalist wages) so he couldn't take it anymore and ran off to Italy. There, he worked those low paying jobs and sent money back home to his family as well. So he was basically like an illegal immigrant (which he was! He was overstaying his tourist visa).

How he got to Canada? He applied for asylum. Then after he worked for the oil company in Canada he saved enough money to get his family out of Poland as well.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to, because I'm obsessed about travelling, read about it all the time, and try to do it as much as I can. But I'm also a career guy, so I have tried to spend as much time abroad as possible while focusing on getting a good CV at the same time.

I have managed to live in 4 different countries (each for at least 5 months) within the last 2 years. Basically I did my undergrad in Austria, an exchange semester in Sweden, a work placement in Canada, and am now doing my Master's in the UK and graduating in a few months. I am now applying for graduate schemes at multinational companies that include assignments in different countries.

So all in all, even though I am very ambitious about my career, I try to stay in different countries for extended periods.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very difficult (unless you'll be financially stable). Wish I could do that mind.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randophera)
    Actually....well, he wasn't exactly "vacationing" in Italy or Canada. He had a wife and two kids back home in Poland and only left because he was quiet traumatized by the strike the coal mine he worked at had with the Soviet regime. It didn't end well, (you know? totalitarianism, shoot first, never negotiate capitalist wages) so he couldn't take it anymore and ran off to Italy. There, he worked those low paying jobs and sent money back home to his family as well. So he was basically like an illegal immigrant (which he was! He was overstaying his tourist visa).

How he got to Canada? He applied for asylum. Then after he worked for the oil company in Canada he saved enough money to get his family out of Poland as well.
    Wow what a great story lucky escape from repression by a corrupt regime. Serious props to him for pulling his family out of that hell!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    I'd love to, because I'm obsessed about travelling, read about it all the time, and try to do it as much as I can. But I'm also a career guy, so I have tried to spend as much time abroad as possible while focusing on getting a good CV at the same time.

I have managed to live in 4 different countries (each for at least 5 months) within the last 2 years. Basically I did my undergrad in Austria, an exchange semester in Sweden, a work placement in Canada, and am now doing my Master's in the UK and graduating in a few months. I am now applying for graduate schemes at multinational companies that include assignments in different countries.

So all in all, even though I am very ambitious about my career, I try to stay in different countries for extended periods.
    Excellent, I am envious

You have done well for yourself by the sounds of it. Best of both worlds!

I probably wont be getting a degree anytime soon. Maybe with the open university when I can afford it later on.

For now, I would be happy just skipping from low skilled jobs to other low skilled jobs so I could travel between.

Hope the masters turns out well for you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Very difficult (unless you'll be financially stable). Wish I could do that mind.
    From the stories I have heard it is not as financially straining as you might think. As long as you are very frugal with everyday essentials, and don't splurge too much, it's not too bad.

I think I saw a quote for a comfortable backpacking session around the world to cost about £16,000. Ok, so quite a lot. But would be worth it I reckon!

http://www.gobackpacking.com/Blog/20...und-the-world/

The guy's who have the best set up are people involved in internet marketing. A lot of them are bloggers, that blog about there travels. This subject usually creates enough views on there blog, for them to monetize them, and travel off the advertising revenues created by the blog. Very lucky!! :mad:

Keep the dream alive man! It's never too late
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very very difficult.
    Finance is one part of this whole case, another is your everyday responsibilities, for example if you need to take a look after someone (your younger sister, parents-if they are very old, or even pets)
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to go travelling around America (buy a cheap car over there and just drive, staying in motels overnight etc) but every time I try to plan it, I find a way to convince myself it's a really bad idea. So I know if I ever do make it, it will be a last minute spur of the moment decision when I don't have much time to think about it.

If you have money, time, and no home ties then it's easy. Otherwise.. not so much.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfofrmer)
    Very very difficult.
    Finance is one part of this whole case, another is your everyday responsibilities, for example if you need to take a look after someone (your younger sister, parents-if they are very old, or even pets)
    Apart from financial, I don't have any of those ties.

Sister is 23 and self sufficient.

Mum has a stable job.

Dad is self employed and doesn't even live with me.

Nan is sorted in her bungalow with lot's of support from mum, sister and cousins.

Dog is looked after by mum and sis (and me when I am around obvs)

I am in a pretty good position to do it, just won't be for a few years while I get trained on an apprenticeship. Obviously I can't predict what will happen in a few years time. I could fall in love with someone, get a decent position in a job and start renting a place with new found love.

The list is endless, but I could still just drop everything, or hopefully take said new found love with me. If she won't go then tough titties , I am seizing the opportunity while I am still young and able lol.

So yea, I understand it must be very hard if you are older or have unfortunate ties to looking after members of the family 24/7.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I want to go travelling around America (buy a cheap car over there and just drive, staying in motels overnight etc) but every time I try to plan it, I find a way to convince myself it's a really bad idea. So I know if I ever do make it, it will be a last minute spur of the moment decision when I don't have much time to think about it.

If you have money, time, and no home ties then it's easy. Otherwise.. not so much.
    DO IT, you will regret it if you don't, especially as you have thought it all up and dreamt oabout it. Don't be the person who sits with a cup of coffee, looking out the window when they are 35, thinking "What if"

What you describe sounds like massive fun, and imagine the feeling and all the memories you would make along the way

If you are stuck for someone to take, I'll go with ya!

Don't give up on it, remember,

"Tomorrow never comes, for it is always today"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is really inspiring me! I've always wanted to do this but have worried about the feasibility of it. I'm (hopefully) going to uni in September, so I won't be able to just head off for those three years, but in my summer breaks I'm going to make sure to get some different travel experiences, and then there's study abroad which will give me a lot of experience. Then when uni's finished, I think it'd make the most sense to work for a while so I have some money, and then just take off. Starting with something a bit more stable first (like the wwoof) and then just going on from there.

It sounds unstable but, in the end, that's what makes it fun, I want to get away from all this rigidity and this feeling that I have to plan everything. And in the end, what's the worst that can happen? As long as I'm not stupid about it and am street-smart, the worst that'll happen is I run out of money, in which case I'm sure my parents would send me enough to get a plane home! :')
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The dropping stuff isn't that hard but coming back is rubbish!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weusedtowait)
    This thread is really inspiring me! I've always wanted to do this but have worried about the feasibility of it. I'm (hopefully) going to uni in September, so I won't be able to just head off for those three years, but in my summer breaks I'm going to make sure to get some different travel experiences, and then there's study abroad which will give me a lot of experience. Then when uni's finished, I think it'd make the most sense to work for a while so I have some money, and then just take off. Starting with something a bit more stable first (like the wwoof) and then just going on from there.

It sounds unstable but, in the end, that's what makes it fun, I want to get away from all this rigidity and this feeling that I have to plan everything. And in the end, what's the worst that can happen? As long as I'm not stupid about it and am street-smart, the worst that'll happen is I run out of money, in which case I'm sure my parents would send me enough to get a plane home! :')
    Awesome, glad it inspired you!

Yea you have the right idea there. Get a bit of experience and a degree to fall back one and you will be golden

Exactly, just being free like a human should be, just doing what you want to do for at least a year or two, before having to head back to the working life ball and chain

Yup, just common sense really. As long as you have bags of that you will be fine!

Hope you have a great time whenever you go, I am sure it will be a time in your life that you will be able to look back on with laughter and good memories
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbyheat)
    The dropping stuff isn't that hard but coming back is rubbish!
    Yea, I bet after seeing all that amazing scenery and cuulture, coming back to the UK or wherever would be quite a culture shock in itself!

Good to see family though and share your stories, good and bad! :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I WANT TO DO THIS. But only for a year, and then maybe a year again when I'm in my 30's
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 331sam331)
    Maybe not this summer, this is more of a longterm pipe dream. But I am making a promise to myself that I will do it before I am 26!!

I am 20 now, no money though! :rolleyes:
    sup! I am 20 too, started saving for travelling a few weeks ago! I recommend you get yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANK-ENGLA...item4ab71aff21

Iv already saved over a hundred. Plan to not open it for a year or two and you will have loads!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justmyopinions)
    I WANT TO DO THIS. But only for a year, and then maybe a year again when I'm in my 30's
    Yea, that's probably the best way to do it!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.