Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How hard is it to just drop everything and just go?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3011295jw)
    sup! I am 20 too, started saving for travelling a few weeks ago! I recommend you get yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANK-ENGLA...item4ab71aff21

Iv already saved over a hundred. Plan to not open it for a year or two and you will have loads!
    Awesome Age snap

I have something similar, but free, in the form of an upsideown blank CD tube. You know the ones one a spindle, and then there is that clear tube that covers the CD's?

Works great, got about £80 after a year of chucking random change in it!

Good luck with your travels. Oh and I accidently negged you when I went for the quote function. Sorry!

I shall give you rep to make up for it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This seems great and I've always wanted to do it, BUT... I don't think it's wise to just go to another country with very little money and no job secured. What if you can't find a job? The job market is so bad in the UK there aren't even enough "low skilled" jobs to go around... surely it's not much different in other countries?

Also what do graduates do about starting a career? I've been told by some employers that they don't look very highly upon candidates who went travelling after graduation rather than gaining relevant work experience in their chosen field.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 331sam331)
    In regards to family. It's not like you have to stop talking to them for the duration of your travels.

Tbh, I would probably be ringing them a few times a week. Maybe even skyping them. You will probably have lots of news for them and stories of the day anyway.

And yes, when you are back, you will be seeing them all the time. The only possible hicup is a grand parent falling ill or passing away. In which case, Itwouldn't be so hard to get back withtin a week of solid travelling.Depends how far away you are though I suppose

But you can't think like that anyway, if you did, you would never go anywhere or take risks.

I'm sure little jobs doing bar work and waiting tables are a plenty in buzzing areas. If not, theres always fruit picking right!
    Indeed my my cousin's sister had a baby whilst he was away and he missed a lot of the growing up process.

Travelling from the far east is very expensive tbf.

But yeah jobs will be everywhere
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danlelle)
    This seems great and I've always wanted to do it, BUT... I don't think it's wise to just go to another country with very little money and no job secured. What if you can't find a job? The job market is so bad in the UK there aren't even enough "low skilled" jobs to go around... surely it's not much different in other countries?

Also what do graduates do about starting a career? I've been told by some employers that they don't look very highly upon candidates who went travelling after graduation rather than gaining relevant work experience in their chosen field.
    You have a point, but I think you will be OK for cash in hand work. They probably get a lot of traveler types in the eastern countries and places like Australia and New Zealand so there is probably a high turnover on meanial jobs.

There are a lot of networks online and in the flesh that you can take advantage of as a traveller. Things like couch surfing, WWOOF, Voluntourism, Blogs, etc...

So there has never been a better time to do it, especially with the explosion of the internet in the last 15 years.

I think with proper planning it is totally possible. As for the money thing, have you ever watched the film "Into The Wild"

I would recommend watching it, even if you aren't going to travel Just generally a very good story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

The end sucks, but his own fault really.

As for graduates and career implications. As far as I know, tavelling looks pretty good, especially off your own back. Should help show your matrurty and ability to be self reliant and indipendant/make important descisions.

Obvs get some experience after graduating, then bugger off and live a little

Another point, I am talking about doing this in the next 5-10 years, the global ecnomy I am assuming will be back in a boom period? Hope so anyway :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedTiger)
    Indeed my my cousin's sister had a baby whilst he was away and he missed a lot of the growing up process.

Travelling from the far east is very expensive tbf.

But yeah jobs will be everywhere
    That sucks, I won't be having any offspring soon though, that's for sure!

Expensive travel, yes, but cheap as hell to live in those countries.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    Not as easy as it looks when you're holding a tub of glue.
    I know I am probably being really thick and over thinking what you mean by this. But please explain, it's driving me nuts :confused:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know I am probably being really thick and over thinking what you mean by this. But please explain, it's driving me nuts :confused:
    Only when Life, do as drop. no?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    Only when Life, do as drop. no?
    OK, I give up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, I give up.
    Finally starting to understand?... Maybe chomp?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It can be done, but you're going to have to call Saul!
    He does it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB5_nSveu1U
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    Finally starting to understand?... Maybe chomp?
    I said I give up man, stop talking gibberish :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I were going to do that, I'd probably go with a close friend, depending on how far in to the unknown I was going. It would definitely be interesting, and a lot more enjoyable in somewhere like Europe in the late spring or summer than pretty much anywhere cold and wet. Eastern Asia would also be good, if slightly more risky. The world is much bigger there and it would be easy to find yourself somewhere very isolated in the middle of nowhere, though that would be quite interesting. It would be good to go with a friend for security and just to make the whole thing more enjoyable or bearable when the going gets rough.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I said I give up man, stop talking gibberish :rolleyes:
    One is only fly wind. But never sign spread. I'm glad you agree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeltree)
    what will be hard is when he comes back, getting a job when you have a 10year gap between uni and your application must be difficult...
    That's one way of looking at it, the other is that he will have numerous new skills to put on a CV including speaking 7 languages (other than english) fluently and lots of great stories to tell at an interview. But from reading his blog I don't think he plans to come back nor do i believe that he'll ever use his degree
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomSmasher)
    If I were going to do that, I'd probably go with a close friend, depending on how far in to the unknown I was going. It would definitely be interesting, and a lot more enjoyable in somewhere like Europe in the late spring or summer than pretty much anywhere cold and wet. Eastern Asia would also be good, if slightly more risky. The world is much bigger there and it would be easy to find yourself somewhere very isolated in the middle of nowhere, though that would be quite interesting. It would be good to go with a friend for security and just to make the whole thing more enjoyable or bearable when the going gets rough.
    It's often very hard finding a close friend, that is able to drop everything, or is willing to drop everything to just go though

Yea, I think I would do Europe seperately, just to ease myself into travelling and backpacking. Jumping into worldwide travel, with no trevelling experience would be quite daunting I think :eek:

Friend is good, but there is a good chance you will end up hating eachother after being around one another 24/7. Going by yourself, forces you to be more outgoing to other like minded travellers, and also promotes more self discoversy and confidence in your independence

I think both ways have there advantages, perhaps a little lonely sometimes when travelling alone
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    That's one way of looking at it, the other is that he will have numerous new skills to put on a CV including speaking 7 languages (other than english) fluently and lots of great stories to tell at an interview. But from reading his blog I don't think he plans to come back nor do i believe that he'll ever use his degree
    Yea, it seems like he has found his real passion in travelling and teaching. I don't see him sat in front of a computer designing circuits in a suite and tie.

Still helps to have the degree though I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's often very hard finding a close friend, that is able to drop everything, or is willing to drop everything to just go though

Yea, I think I would do Europe seperately, just to ease myself into travelling and backpacking. Jumping into worldwide travel, with no trevelling experience would be quite daunting I think :eek:

Friend is good, but there is a good chance you will end up hating eachother after being around one another 24/7. Going by yourself, forces you to be more outgoing to other like minded travellers, and also promotes more self discoversy and confidence in your independence

I think both ways have there advantages, perhaps a little lonely sometimes when travelling alone
    I think if I went out alone I would end up just keeping myself to myself most of the time because that's just my personality. I imagine you'd be separated some of the time anyway, doing small jobs apart and different tasks to stop everything from falling apart. As for finding someone, I could only see myself doing this just out of university, as a gap year kind of thing. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to persuade a friend or two to join.

True about self-discovery and all that though, but I'm sure it gets lonely on the big ol' dusty road.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's great to see so many people on this thread who are raring to go on their travels! The guy the OP posted about is pretty inspiring- just goes to show what you can do if you're determined.

I'm not sure if long-term travelling would be right for me, though. I do get itchy feet if I haven't been away for a while, but I've never been away for longer than three weeks. I'm not sure if I could hack going abroad for years on end, not because I can't look after myself, but I guess I'd just miss home.

I would love to do a summer in America one day though, and I'm also determined to go to Australia and New Zealand with my mum- she's never been outside of Europe, and for as long as I can remember she's had guide books about Australia and has talked about how much she would love to go one day. The thought of her growing old without ever having been makes me sad, so I've decided she pretty much doesn't have a say in the matter, haha.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    It's great to see so many people on this thread who are raring to go on their travels! The guy the OP posted about is pretty inspiring- just goes to show what you can do if you're determined.

I'm not sure if long-term travelling would be right for me, though. I do get itchy feet if I haven't been away for a while, but I've never been away for longer than three weeks. I'm not sure if I could hack going abroad for years on end, not because I can't look after myself, but I guess I'd just miss home.

I would love to do a summer in America one day though, and I'm also determined to go to Australia and New Zealand with my mum- she's never been outside of Europe, and for as long as I can remember she's had guide books about Australia and has talked about how much she would love to go one day. The thought of her growing old without ever having been makes me sad, so I've decided she pretty much doesn't have a say in the matter, haha.
    Indeed, I am glad I have stirred up so many opinions and stories. Really helping to motivate me to save some money and start planning for future travels!!

I think I would be OK, as long as I could ring home every other day. I think my mum would get quite worried about my safety, just because she is a real worrier. She won't sleep until you are back if you go out for a night with mates and have to drive home :rolleyes:

America would be good yes, I have plans to do the coast to coast trip in either a cheap bought car, or a rented one. Or maybe on motorbikes!!

That sounds great, I am sure it will be a really nice supprise for her when you take her
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was just randomly surfing the net (as you do) and I stumbled upon this quite popular and very inspiring blog article.

This guy just upped and left with little money, and carved a path around the world. Here is the article. It's more about what he learned, but it's very exciting to think what you can do with very little.

http://www.fluentin3months.com/life-lessons/

Has anyone here done it? Just upped, left, and gone for it?

I think it can be very risky, but thinking about it makes me very exited, and I figure you only live once, and you are only young once
    I think it's only as hard as you make it to be, if you keep putting obstacles in the way then it will be hard. And it doesn't help with other people who don't understand the whole 'travel' thing, I keep talking to my mum and sister about it, all i get back is 'but you need to save money for a house, a car etc'

I don't understand people with that philosophy in life, gotta go out and experience things I like to talk cliches aha. And I like the idea of a wild thornberry life!!

My aim at the moment is to travel around south east asia first, been to Thailand already, and I have so many friends who have been and the photos look amazing, every time i see them, it makes me want to go more!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.