Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whos god is more violent: jew, Christian or muslim?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The god of the jewish old testament ( tanaka ) Is renouned for his violence.

The Christian god of the new testament is supposed to be all loving.

The Muslim god is said to be a mixture of the two.

A least, this is The stereotype. But what's the truth.

If Jews came first, then It makes sense that Christianity was an improvement on Judaism as Jesus saw himself as a Jewish reformer -- Correcting the patholgies of old testament judaism.

As for Islam, the youngest faith of the three, Mohammad was not Jewish and so he was not trying to reform Christianity like jesus reformed judaism. He was creating a completely new faith based on Judaism and Christianity.

So It makes sense to say Islam is a mixture of The two maybe?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    "...all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen" - Revelation 1:7 (I believe referring to Jesus Christ)
    "...I will kill her children with death..." - Revelation 2:23 (regarding Jezebel who is/was a faulse prophetess, fornicator and idolator)
    "...and he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers..." Revelation 2:26-27
    "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten..." Revelation 3:19
    "'...hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come...'" Revelation 6:15-17
    "...they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion when he striketh a man. And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it..." Revelation 9:5-6
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)

If Jews came first, then It makes sense that Christianity was an improvement on Judaism as Jesus saw himself as a Jewish reformer -- Correcting the patholgies of old testament judaism.

As for Islam, the youngest faith of the three, Mohammad was not Jewish and so he was not trying to reform Christianity like jesus reformed judaism. He was creating a completely new faith based on Judaism and Christianity.

the "Abrahamic" God is just as bad in any one of his many avatars

didn't improve one bit over time... a hopeless case

in my view, whenever God realizes that (in monotheistic religions) he's the only one left, it goes to his head and he loses any sense of limit

and off he goes... bragging all the time about his omni-this and omni-that, exacting prayers and worship from anyone unlucky enough to cross his path

putting on trials, temptations, entrapping people... sending them off to eternal hellfire and torture..

at least, in polytheistic religions, there is some sort of control being exerted on "God" by his peers
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given they're all the same God all of them or none of them depending on your point of view I suppose.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same god is same.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Since both Islam and Christianity both claim to believe in the truth of the Jewish tradition as told in the Bible the adherents of all three religions all agree on how "violent" God is. It doesn't seem to make much sense to suggest that Jesus appeared on the scene to bring about an improvement in God's PR.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    It doesn't seem to make much sense to suggest that Jesus appeared on the scene to bring about an improvement in God's PR.
    and yet, that's how it went

Jesus is a huge improvement as far as "Abrahamic" Gods go

he sounds like a really nice chap, in sharp contrast with his jealous, vengeful Father

perhaps the next Abrahamic God will be even better...who knows ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    the god of the jewish old testament ( tanaka ) is renouned for his violence.

The christian god of the new testament is supposed to be all loving.

The muslim god is said to be a mixture of the two.

A least, this is the stereotype. But what's the truth.

If jews came first, then it makes sense that christianity was an improvement on judaism as jesus saw himself as a jewish reformer -- correcting the patholgies of old testament judaism.

As for islam, the youngest faith of the three, mohammad was not jewish and so he was not trying to reform christianity like jesus reformed judaism. He was creating a completely new faith based on judaism and christianity.

So it makes sense to say islam is a mixture of the two maybe?
    And in the red corner...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Strange that the Old Testament God is seen as the most violent, when statisticly judaism is much less violent then its two younger brothers..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phaethon)
    Strange that the Old Testament God is seen as the most violent, when statisticly judaism is much less violent then its two younger brothers..
    I'm going to work on the sabbath this week, please come and stone me as commanded by Judaism.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    and yet, that's how it went

Jesus is a huge improvement as far as "Abrahamic" Gods go

he sounds like a really nice chap, in sharp contrast with his jealous, vengeful Father

perhaps the next Abrahamic God will be even better...who knows ?
    Well, what I was saying is that isn't how it went at all. Christians don't claim (as far as I know) that Jesus turned up and replaced God with himself but that the two are (kind of) one. They do not claim, for instance, that God was wrong when he did what he did as relayed in the Old Testament.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to work on the sabbath this week, please come and stone me as commanded by Judaism.
    Would be a pleasure, but I don't think any jews would do that, not since they gave up the death penalty in 70 AD

(Mishnah Makkot 1:10): "A Sanhedrin that puts a man to death once in seven years is called destructive. Rabbi Eliezer ben Azariah says: even once in seventy years. Rabbi Akiba and Rabbi Tarfon say: had we been in the Sanhedrin none would ever have been put to death. Rabban Simeon ben Gamaliel says: they would have multiplied shedders of blood in Israel."
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Christian god murdered thousands of frogs when he sent the plagues to Egypt!

Poor frogs
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I like the Jewish God and I like Muslim God. But then again, I also like the Christian God But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    the "Abrahamic" God is just as bad in any one of his many avatars

didn't improve one bit over time... a hopeless case

in my view, whenever God realizes that (in monotheistic religions) he's the only one left, it goes to his head and he loses any sense of limit

and off he goes... bragging all the time about his omni-this and omni-that, exacting prayers and worship from anyone unlucky enough to cross his path

putting on trials, temptations, entrapping people... sending them off to eternal hellfire and torture..

at least, in polytheistic religions, there is some sort of control being exerted on "God" by his peers
    Don't know why you got thumbs down. I agree. Polytheistic religions are also at least a bit more fun even if just as frivolous.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    Non-Jews are not supposed to keep the Sabbath in Judaism anyway.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phaethon)
    Would be a pleasure, but I don't think any jews would do that, not since they gave up the death penalty in 70 AD

(Mishnah Makkot 1:10): "A Sanhedrin that puts a man to death once in seven years is called destructive. Rabbi Eliezer ben Azariah says: even once in seventy years. Rabbi Akiba and Rabbi Tarfon say: had we been in the Sanhedrin none would ever have been put to death. Rabban Simeon ben Gamaliel says: they would have multiplied shedders of blood in Israel."
    So I guess Judaism is just full of contradictions instead of the ridiculous death penalties it commands elsewhere.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frostmage)
    Non-Jews are not supposed to keep the Sabbath in Judaism anyway.
    Then I'm a Jew. Will he come at me?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Christian God is the same as the Jewish and Islamic as it all links back to Abraham
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    Then I'm a Jew. Will he come at me?
    The other guy dealt with it.

And in answer to what you told him, it's not contradictions - just that it's so difficult (by design) to convict someone to death in Judaism because there are many requirements. It's one of those things - the Written Torah (i.e. the real version of the OT) writes things very briefly, leaving much of the details to the Oral Torah. Somethings written are impossible to understand without the Oral Torah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...ment_(Judaism) (as if you couldn't/didn't yourself)

For example, the Written Torah outlines details about "a stubborn and rebellious son" that should be put to death - however, the details of this are so exact, that it has never occurred in (Jewish) history.

P.S. I love how your moving from one attack to other - both with me and the other guy. "Oh, a religion with virtually no capital punishment - must be a fake religion"...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.