The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How's computer science at Notthingham Uni?

Hey, I would like to hear some opinions about the course from students or ex-students from Nottingham University. Oh, and how about living in Nottingham? Is it expensive?
Reply 1
Hi, I won't be studying computer sciences at nottingham but I have lived in nottingham for the past 16 years and I can say it's relatively cheap. With there being 2 uni's there's many student discounts for nightclubs/bars/travel/food etc.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Valdas
Hey, I would like to hear some opinions about the course from students or ex-students from Nottingham University. Oh, and how about living in Nottingham? Is it expensive?

I'm coming to the end of my first year, and I've loved it. Obviously the first year is always a broad introduction of CS in general. The modules we studied were G51PRG (Intro to programming in C), G51CSA (Computer Systems Architecture) G51MCS (Mathematics for Comp. Scientists), G51APS (Algorithmic Problem Solving), G51REQ (Requirements Engineering, not everyone's favourite module) in the Autumn Semester, and G51OOP (Object-orientated programming, Java), G51FUN (Functional Programming, taught in Haskell, you'll either love it, or learn to love it), G51DBS (Database Systems), G51IAI (Intro to Artificial Intelligence, fun if you're into that area), G51FSE (Foundations of Software Engineering, kind of a follow on from REQ, easiest module).

You can take G51UST (Unix and Software Tools) as an optional module in the Autumn Semester, most students take this as it's a valuable module. I also had the option to take Engineering Mathematics 1 from the Engineering school, which I chose since I did Further Mathematics at A level so it was a breeze. G51WPS (Web programming and scripting) is offered in the Spring semester as an optional module, most people also take this along with UST. You can also study Foundation Mathematics as a full year optional module, usually taken if you're a) Bad at maths because you didn't do it at A level b) incredibly lazy and want 20 free credits

If you google any of the module codes, you should be able to find the course websites since they're public. e.g. G51FUN http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/fun.html - They're usually in the format "cs.nott.ac.uk/~someone", although this might not be the case for all.

As for Nottingham, it's an amazing student city.

Any more questions feel free to ask me anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending