The Student Room Group

Madeleine McCann's parents 'no doubt' case will reopen.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelenOn
It's not just a rant, it's a lie and a smear - they have always ploughed fees from things like that into the campaign, the funds of which are spent on efforts to find her, exert pressure on the Portugese authorities, etc. You simply don't know the facts, but go ahead and spurt out your prejudice anyway.

I don't want this to get argumentative, but would you care to cite your sources, since you claim to 'know the facts'?

I don't doubt that both the Mail and the McCanns want the child to be found (how obvious could that be possibly be?), but that wasn't my point. It stands that both are happy to make money out of it (though the parents are mainly looking for publicity). If the Mail and the other tabloids really cared about missing children they would make a much larger campaign that focused on more than just one child, the money from which would be used to find missing children in general. But that isn't the case. It's stories about the one, very famous, very familiar abductee who everyone wants to know more about.

Just remember that the Daily Mail is a tabloid and a business, not an activist group.
Back to the original question -will the case ever be re-opened? I would never be 100% sure that it will, as this would effectively mean the police in Portugal admitting failures in the first place, which they may be loathe to do. There are professions in every country that close ranks if criticised.

There have been plenty of missing persons of all ages never found, and it is always possible that Madeleine McCann may be one of them.
Reply 42
Original post by AtomSmasher
I don't want this to get argumentative, but would you care to cite your sources, since you claim to 'know the facts'?

I don't doubt that both the Mail and the McCanns want the child to be found (how obvious could that be possibly be?), but that wasn't my point. It stands that both are happy to make money out of it (though the parents are mainly looking for publicity). If the Mail and the other tabloids really cared about missing children they would make a much larger campaign that focused on more than just one child, the money from which would be used to find missing children in general. But that isn't the case. It's stories about the one, very famous, very familiar abductee who everyone wants to know more about.

Just remember that the Daily Mail is a tabloid and a business, not an activist group.

The Mail is irrelevant. The McCanns have repeatedly stated over and over in numerous sources and public interviews that they money does not go to them - do you really think that would not be plastered all over the news if false? Why are you interested in slagging them off with utter falsehoods is the real question, not just for you, but for many people in these threads on TSR.
Reply 43
Original post by A level Az
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17924623

Is anyone else annoyed that this is getting so much attention? Loads of kids go missing everyday but we don't stop the world to look for them, and it's been YEARS. I hate how they don't take responsibility for their daughter's disappearence too. In my opinion, this needs to stop, because if it does not you can guarentee there will be a story about this case every few months for the rest of our lifetimes :eek:

Media should stop covering it. But the first one to not bother is going to be seen as slow to the breaking news so it won't happen.
Original post by tsveta
everyone on here is 'knowingly' stating that she was left completely unattended.

she wasnt. she was put in the care of the hotel's creche and child-supervisor scheme so the parents could have a night off - basically the same as having a babysitter.
they didnt publish this in the newspapers as it would have caused bad publicity for the company.

They did offer that service but from what I've read, the Mcanns didn't pay for it that night, they didn't want to give Maddy to "strangers" and thought it was better to check up on her every 30 mins. If you have a source which proves me otherwise then please link me, otherwise you appear to be misinformed.
Original post by tsveta
heartless thing to say. her body hasnt been found, put yourself in the position of the parents. parents, supposed to protect their child at all times, failed, and people say 'let the case go'? can you imagine what they are going through? do you think they can bear to live with themselves? of course they wont let it go, and nor should they.

people can be so ignorant sometimes

Oh please, the media have hyped this case up so much it gets irritating.

People go missing all the time, why is this case so unbelievably special that it deserves 5 years of media coverage?
Original post by HelenOn
The Mail is irrelevant. The McCanns have repeatedly stated over and over in numerous sources and public interviews that they money does not go to them - do you really think that would not be plastered all over the news if false? Why are you interested in slagging them off with utter falsehoods is the real question, not just for you, but for many people in these threads on TSR.

Again, you failed to actually come up with a source and I was slagging off the mass media, more broadly speaking, for their bastardising the word 'journalism' and their eagerness to jump on any story as long as it will make them money.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sclez1
It's a pretty disgusting fact that if she was from a poor, single parent black family she wouldn't have received half the coverage. Obviously it's a tragedy and I can't imagine what the parents went through but she shouldn't be favoured because she's a blonde girl swiped from her middle-class family - all abductions should be given the same importance.

Black or white has nothing to do with it.
Reply 48
Original post by marcusfox
Every company gets bad publicity when they screw up and they usually have around zero power to keep it out of the press. Damn, even the government can't keep news of their own screwups out of the press, let alone something as small time as a hotel creche service.

It's common knowledge that she was left unattended.

Due to the high profile nature of the case and the fact that so many people have gone over the circumstances of the disappearance, this inconvenient fact would definitely have been reported, and any inconsistencies with the official line highlighted in screaming red and black headlines

What's your source for them having been in the hotel's creche service at the time?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/04/madeleine-mcann-disappearance-holiday-resort

it's also known that maddie was under the mark warner creche supervision scheme while her parents went out.

Mark Warner built its firm on its claim of being one of the most child-friendly holiday companies. It is popular with middle-class parents who can relax while their children are looked after. The firm, founded in 1974, says on its website: "For over 30 years we have led the way in childcare and have kids' clubs for all ages with free evening creche service."

That is what she was in.

And by this article, it shows it wasnt kept out of the press. so that defeats your argument. perhaps it was kept out of the press to start off with, as the main case focused on the fact that she was missing in a foreign country, and thats what everyone remembers.
Reply 49
Original post by Cannotbelieveit

People go missing all the time, why is this case so unbelievably special that it deserves 5 years of media coverage?

It's not more special than any other cases of missing children, its terrible for all of them. But the McCanns have the money to fund for the extra media coverage while some families don't, and cases are forgotten. You can say its unfair, but life isn't fair, and it's not fair that Maddie was taken from them. You cannot slag off her parents or this case because you have no idea what it's like until it happens to you.
Original post by tsveta
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/04/madeleine-mcann-disappearance-holiday-resort

it's also known that maddie was under the mark warner creche supervision scheme while her parents went out.

It's disingenious to post an article as though you are quoting, and then editorialise what you want to see, but isn't actually there. The bit in bold above is not in the article.

Original post by tsveta
Mark Warner built its firm on its claim of being one of the most child-friendly holiday companies. It is popular with middle-class parents who can relax while their children are looked after. The firm, founded in 1974, says on its website: "For over 30 years we have led the way in childcare and have kids' clubs for all ages with free evening creche service."

That is what she was in.

It doesn't say she was in the creche at the time. It simply says that the hotel company from where Madeline was abducted are suing because parents are staying away (naturally) and the hotel are losing bookings due to the publicity. It does not say she was abducted from the creche.

It is stupid to draw such a conclusion.

...others questioned why parents Gerry and Kate McCann had chosen to leave their three children in an apartment at the resort while they had dinner nearby, checking them every 30 minutes.

They weren't in any creche.

Original post by tsveta
And by this article, it shows it wasnt kept out of the press. so that defeats your argument. perhaps it was kept out of the press to start off with, as the main case focused on the fact that she was missing in a foreign country, and thats what everyone remembers.

You haven't defeated my argument, and continuing along this line is only showing your own ignorance of facts.

Since we know this particular 'fact' you are trying to portray to be false, you might as well be arguing that the earth is flat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by AtomSmasher
Again, you failed to actually come up with a source and I was slagging off the mass media, more broadly speaking, for their bastardising the word 'journalism' and their eagerness to jump on any story as long as it will make them money.

Oh nonsense. You just don't want to stop lying about them or admit that you lied.
Reply 52
Original post by tsveta

That is what she was in.

Madeleine wasn't in the creche when she was abducted, she was in the apartment. The newspaper article you cite doesn't say otherwise.
Reply 53
Original post by TheMeister
Black or white has nothing to do with it.

I disagree.
no, i am not annoyed that this is getting attention, it's not like if it wasn't all the other cases would suddenly get publicity and this is taking all the attention away from them.. in fact it draws attention to the fact kids DO go missing... especially as maddies parents also encourage you to help with other child abduction cases and raise awareness (http://www.findmadeleine.com/missing_children/index.html)... no one is saying there AREN'T other cases that are just as serious and heartbreaking. however they can't all be reported in the same way because the sad fact is the public would get bored.. "oh look another child missing story how boring seen it all before"... they would turn off... it wouldn't stir up the same reaction unfortunately... it's also something i actually see in your OP about maddie.

what DOES annoy me are all the people who complain that this gets attention because really, how on earth does it affect you? if you don't like it just don't read it! ignore it! if maddie is found thanks to the attention this case gets or if she is in fact alive and sees this when she is much older and realises what has happened to her - these things do happen - surely that's only a GOOD thing?

i really don't see what your problem is.. the way i see it if i were in her parents position i would do ANYTHING to keep her in the news... i would be so desparate to get her back... critising the fact that she is in the papers is quite heartless imo... it's an unimaginable situation. actually i find your OP quite disgusting and heartless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by sclez1
I disagree.

Which black children have been abducted from holiday resorts direct from their parent's apartment that you have heard of then?
Reply 56
Original post by Bellissima
no, i am not annoyed that this is getting attention, it's not like if it wasn't all the other cases would suddenly get publicity and this is taking all the attention away from them.. in fact it draws attention to the fact kids DO go missing... especially as maddies parents also encourage you to help with other child abduction cases and raise awareness (http://www.findmadeleine.com/missing_children/index.html)... no one is saying there AREN'T other cases that are just as serious and heartbreaking. however they can't all be reported in the same way because the sad fact is the public would get bored.. "oh look another child missing story how boring seen it all before"... they would turn off... it wouldn't stir up the same reaction unfortunately... a reaction that i actually see in your OP about maddie.

what DOES annoy me are all the people who complain that this gets attention because really, how on earth does it affect you? if you don't like it just don't read it! ignore it! if maddie is found thanks to the attention this case gets or if she is in fact alive and sees this when she is much older and realises what has happened to her - these things do happen - surely that's only a GOOD thing?

i really don't see what your problem is.. the way i see it if i were in her parents position i would do ANYTHING to keep her in the news... i would be so desparate to get her back... critising the fact that she is in the papers is quite heartless imo... it's an unimaginable situation.

Exactly. The people moaning about this, or worse, fabricating horror stories about the McCanns, are really low mentally - I suspect some kind of personality defect is at work. Or else, as I said above, severe jealousy - they probably wish they had all that attention.
Reply 57
Original post by Cannotbelieveit

Because the parents make the effort to get the media interested in the off chance that someone may have seen her.

And also because she was a blond haired blue eyed white girl.
Reply 58
Original post by sclez1
I disagree.

why though? it just so happened that a white girl was abducted in a foreign country while on holiday, i'm sure if she was black it would have received the same attention.

don't say its disgusting because of their skin colour - maddie can't help that and she cant help being abducted either
Original post by HelenOn
Exactly. The people moaning about this, or worse, fabricating horror stories about the McCanns, are really low mentally - I suspect some kind of personality defect is at work. Or else, as I said above, severe jealousy - they probably wish they had all that attention.

tbh the people who say they know the "truth" about how the mccans were part of the murder and they killed her etc. make me feel quite sick...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending